RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Any potential concern of this 2013 RX350 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 10:47 AM
Frankca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any potential concern of this 2013 RX350 ?

Hey all here,

This is the first post from me but has got a whole bunch of benefits while reading all threads. I know this kind of posts merges pretty much every day but when it comes to me I still feel less confident to handle it alone. Please give some thoughts, appreciate your help.

My target is a 2013 RX350 BASE with Touring package. It's a private sale so I've successfully helped the owner got the service history: first 2 years in Lexus and following 3 in Toyota dealer. Below are lists I have on my hand:

- One owner, accident-free, smoke-free, pet-free, kids-free, everything is free except price.
- 62K miles(owner claims most of which is hyw drive to another city to meet her daughter)
- All season tires purchased around 2015 as well as winter tires
- 11 total oil & filter change, average every 6 months but once at 9-month
- Brake pads replaced along with rotor on 38K
- "Touch supplies" - guess is something relates to the GPS module?
- The last service was done last month, only oil & filter
- No battery change recorded - strange

That is everything showed on the report. Not so detailed but is way better than buying from a dealer - don't mean cars not good but history not clear.
The car will be sent for a PPI tomorrow in a Toyota dealer shop.

So basically my concern is, what can you guys foresee that need to be replaced/repaired in the coming service cost just in the corner? I assume it will have all those tires, battery, brakes(rotor?), coolant. etc? Please advise. Thank you
Old 02-14-19, 12:25 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I would think tires, and battery. Also drain and fill on the transmission fluid.

I can't think of other things.

How does it drive???
Old 02-14-19, 12:58 PM
Frankca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I would think tires, and battery. Also drain and fill on the transmission fluid.

I can't think of other things.

How does it drive???
The sad truth is I haven't tested yet. It's 80 miles away from my home and my car is occupied by my wife so will have a test on Saturday. With that said, as it's a private sale, the owner and I did some homework this week and it turns out this is the most reliable RX350 for now.

I'm in Canada and from what my research shows it only 1/8 of these Lexus here than in US. Combined with a wrong period of year so really not much to choose. I even saw one like this, can you believe it?

Old 02-14-19, 06:54 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Frankca from Calgary, AB.
My first question should be: Since we reside north of the borders, are we talking km or miles? If kms, then 62,000 shouldn't be of a big deal. If miles, then you're up for the following:
1- Drop engine oil and filters and use 0W20 fully synthetic. This way, you only need to replace the oil every 16,000km or 1 year whichever comes first.
2- Transmission oil is advisable to be changed although not recommended by Lexus
3- Check moisture content of the brake fluid.
4- Since you live in the snowy/rainy east coast, why don't you consider AWD? Did you make a price comparison?
5- We were always told that Quebec vehicles are rusty due to using salt on roads. Have you tried to check other places? Prairie provinces and BC should have better road conditions.
6- Battery, brakes pads, rotors, body blemishes, etc, it all depends on the conditions and how you feel about every item.

Please ask back and I'll try to give more detailed answers.
Good luck!

Cheers

Last edited by heshamos; 02-14-19 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 05:31 AM
Frankca
Driver School Candidate

Hi Heshamos,

Thank you for your reply and advises. I apologize that I did not make everything clear.

I currently live in NS, Canada, which usually been called Atlantic province.

I converted everything into miles as I believe most people here are easy to read miles. So yes, it's 62k miles which is 100k kms.

1. Yes, I am considering to use synthetic oil but still not sure if we can really change it every 10k miles, I use to change oil every 40-45k miles.

2. Transmission fluid is on the plan to be replaced

3. The brake is the part that needs to be taken well care of. I'm thinking to change all brake pads and rotors as well as fluid

4. I was misled by autotrader website. It describes trim levels only by base and F-sport. This vehicle is loaded with AWD, leather, Navi and based on that website, I wrote it as the base with Touring package, it's not accurate.

5. I believe some provinces like AB, SK they use less salt during winter time. However, instead, they use pebbles - that's why you will see a lot of windshield repair store in those provinces. My city is kinda of in between. We have snow, like 5 to 10 times per year, but it won't last, just fall and melt, so we do have salt but much less.

6. My list now has battery, brake pads/ rotors, all fluids, all season and winter tires on it. I do not really care about body blemishes for a 6-year-old car only if it's reliable and safe.

Will back to you later when I got the PPI and test drive it tomorrow. The owner is very helpful with every question I asked.

Thank you again for all those tips. Cheers
Old 02-15-19, 05:55 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Just a quick reply:
- It's Lexus recommendations to change oil every 16,000 km/10,000 miles. The less interval the better for sure but it's what the manufacturer recommends.
- The brake system has become sophisticated in recent years. People usually overlook new service items that used to be maintenance free for life such as dropping the brake fluid. DOT3 is the brake fluid used in gen 3 Lexus such as yours and it tends to absorb moisture especially if the weather is generally humid. The test is instantly done at any Toyota dealer for a nominal price. Moisture can be tolerated maybe up to 2% but anything higher than that should trigger brake fluid flush. You can check/do this when you do the rotors/brake pads.

Keep us posted please..
All the best!
Old 02-16-19, 12:33 PM
Frankca
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

An apdate as I got the test drive today and it's in great shape. I can tell from the first step on the paddle(have tried another one which the engine feels slow and weak). Starch free. Every electric component works fine. Interior is not so clean but a clean up will be provided.

Comes with 2 keys and 1 wallet key. Cargo shade and net.

Brakes are 8/11 as mentiones on the inspection report, battery replaced in 2017. No oil or fluid leak.

The only issue is tires. Both winter and all season tires are at around 8-10/32 condition. Based on which I was successfully got 1.5k off the price(CAD). And owner paid for inspection fee which cost 128 CAD.

I will follow your advices to get a fully check on transmission drain/fill as well as moisture.
​​​​
Will add more when it comes to my mind.

Thank you so much guys!
​​
Old 02-16-19, 12:59 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Congratulations on your new vehicle, Frankca.
Do you guys use 3M film as a front protection on the east coast?
Old 02-16-19, 01:11 PM
Frankca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by heshamos
Congratulations on your new vehicle, Frankca.
Do you guys use 3M film as a front protection on the east coast?
Thanks heshamos,

Not sure if you're talking about something like this?

If so, we don't use that here.

​​​​
Old 02-16-19, 01:19 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Something of this sort:
Old 02-16-19, 01:24 PM
Frankca
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm haven't seen this before. Is this useful? I can ask some local stories see if they have this service
Old 02-16-19, 01:35 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Excellent for those who drive more frequently on highways as it saves the vehicle from those little projectiles on the road. The ones made for the headlights protect from the UV discoloration and the fogs from shattering as they are made of glass. Check amazon/ebay or your local stores.

Weathertech carries the best (yet costly) floor mats that I would recommend for the front seats..

Old 02-16-19, 01:48 PM
Frankca
Driver School Candidate

Awesome mate! Save me tons of time. Will definitely search on the mat then the 3m. Thanks again