RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 Lexus RX 350 Battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19 | 01:46 PM
evelucille
Driver School Candidate

Question 2010 Lexus RX 350 Battery problem

A year ago I bought a 2010 RX350. I owned a 2005 ES330 which I loved and never had any problems with it.
I wish I could say the same with the 2010. The car will not start after staying in it without the engine on ( with the seat belt on or off or sometimes with the radio on)
When pressing the start button, comes a crichy/metal noise and will not start. The break pedal gets very hard. Tried several times without any success. I ended up calling AAA. Gave me a jump start. Went to Costco and. bought a new battery. Went to the mechanic, checked it with the computer and could not find anything.
This has happened about 10 times.
Except, for the first time I was driving normally, and all of the sudden the break warning light appeared on the panel, navigator light went off, and car died.
Tried to jump start with a very powerful started, but could not make it react until I jumped started with another car.
This was the first time that the car stops while driving. I went back to the mechanic, again the computer did not show anything.
I would appreciate your inputs.
EveLucille
Old 03-11-19 | 04:48 PM
Clutchless

A proper diagnosis is more than hooking up a computer. You should actually visually inspect the car and do some mental deduction and analysis.

Get a better mechanic who can do a more thorough diagnosis as there is obviously something he is not capable of locating. I would initially suspect bad battery cables and or engine grounds and or starter cables as all your symptoms point to the battery and an electrical issue.

If you want help finding another mechanic use this link and look for someone who specializes in Toyota or Lexus (The RX350 is almost a twin to the Toyota Highlander) https://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files
Old 03-11-19 | 09:17 PM
raylor4
Instructor

I agree with Clutchless. Get a new mechanic. I think the one you're going to has good intentions, but not good experience.
Ray A.
Old 03-12-19 | 09:30 AM
evelucille
Driver School Candidate

Hello, thank you for your input.
I did some research on my own. It seems that the 2010 RX 350 had a recall on gas peda getting trap with the rug. But also makes me think that there are other issues with the Lexus. When I owned the 2005 Lexus ES 330 had a minor issue with the steering wheel. Sometimes when I left the wheels turned to one side, the next time I started the car it will not respond until I will swivel the steering several times till the wheels will change position. Only then the car would start.
I also read that several customers took the RX 350 to Lexus while still under warranty to repair with the same problem. Customers had to return several times with the same problem.
I believe Lexus has serious electronics problems and their mechanics are gambling with each case. In all these cases these customers did not have to pay extra because of having the warranty, but in my case just for them to look at my car they charge a fee, then you agree for any parts and labor they find is the cause, but if I have to return because the car has the same problem, they will change something else and I will have to pay again.
I will search for a mechanic that can determine the cause of all these problems. I am very disappointed, I thought I was buying a reliable car.
I always voted for Lexus.
I will see what I can do.
Thank you again,
Eve
Old 03-12-19 | 12:40 PM
Clutchless

The gas pedal getting stuck on the floor mat recall has nothing to do with your starting issue. All they did for the recall was cut off part of the gas pedal. You can tell if it was done if your gas pedal was cut down, mine has the corner cut off, maybe they all do.
It does not indicate anything about other issues with the vehicle. In fact they recalled almost every Lexus for this gas pedal issue when it was really only the ES350 that had problems.
It is a very reliable car, but anything can break on any car at any time and this is especially true as cars age. Your 2010 is 9 years old now. Electrical charging and starter cables will corrode in any vehicle after 9 years. It is just a fact of vehicle ownership and could happen to any brand.

Good Luck.
Old 03-12-19 | 03:31 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

interesting that you have this problem in your 2010, hopefully when you bought your pre-owned RX it wasn't a reconditioned flood car from another state. My 2010 RX was pre-owned as well but has been reliable to date considering it has been in the north east. Definitely find a shop where they specialize in newer toyotas/lexus. where they can connect with techstream.