RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX350 Need Hot Leads for Always-On USB Ports

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 09:40 AM
Elofeye
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What part of the fuse box did you tap into?
The only thing in the fuse box that looks like it will be always on are the power seats. A fuse tap doesn't look like it would work with the odd looking power seat fuses.
Old 08-06-19, 10:31 AM
wgregt
Driver

I tapped into the wire for the small footwell light down there. It gets power all the time so I can leave my phone to charge with the car off. In the fuse box I tapped for the ground.
Old 08-08-19, 10:10 AM
Tatoosh
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to add power port for GPS/Rear View Camera on my wife's RX350 2010. We just purchased this and as far as I can tell it does not have GPS, though it does have a fairly large black rectangle that connects to the interior of the windshield, not sure what that does? Could it be a GPS antenna? Since our RX is a fairly basic model, I need to add GPS and a rear view camera. I'm looking at the Garmin DriveSmart 65 and their wireless add-on "backing up" camera. I'll need to find or install a power source for the Garmin somewhere at the front of the console or in the dash.

Down the road I want to add a dash cam mounted about mirror height, and run power to it from the headliner. Anyone done something like that? It needs to be a different power source than the GPS/cam setup.

Also, any links to online owners manual for 2010 RX350? We got the quick guide, but no detailed manual on how to access various features. So I don't know how to access the info screen except for setting the time. Those buttons are down by the climate control. But the display shows Celsius for outside temps and I'd prefer Fahrenheit since we are in North America.
Old 08-08-19, 10:15 AM
Elofeye
Driver

Originally Posted by Tatoosh
I need to add power port for GPS/Rear View Camera on my wife's RX350 2010. We just purchased this and as far as I can tell it does not have GPS, though it does have a fairly large black rectangle that connects to the interior of the windshield, not sure what that does? Could it be a GPS antenna? Since our RX is a fairly basic model, I need to add GPS and a rear view camera. I'm looking at the Garmin DriveSmart 65 and their wireless add-on "backing up" camera. I'll need to find or install a power source for the Garmin somewhere at the front of the console or in the dash.

Down the road I want to add a dash cam mounted about mirror height, and run power to it from the headliner. Anyone done something like that? It needs to be a different power source than the GPS/cam setup.

Also, any links to online owners manual for 2010 RX350? We got the quick guide, but no detailed manual on how to access various features. So I don't know how to access the info screen except for setting the time. Those buttons are down by the climate control. But the display shows Celsius for outside temps and I'd prefer Fahrenheit since we are in North America.

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/
The following users liked this post:
Tatoosh (08-08-19)
Old 08-08-19, 10:53 AM
wgregt
Driver

For the dash cam you can tap into the mirror like I spoke of earlier in this thread. Comes on when you start it and when it's put into DRIVE. I'm not sure about popping the headliner....seems a bit more risky to me though.
Old 08-08-19, 11:19 AM
Elofeye
Driver

Originally Posted by wgregt
I tapped into the wire for the small footwell light down there. It gets power all the time so I can leave my phone to charge with the car off. In the fuse box I tapped for the ground.
Thanks for the info. I'm gong to try and tap the fuel door release fuse. It appears to always have power.
Old 08-09-19, 07:11 AM
Tatoosh
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you very much, Elofeye! Signed up and downloaded.

I did manage to verify that I don't have the navigation option on my RX350. So I will need to add a 12v power outlet for the Garmin at or below the dash and a power source for the dash cam up around the mirror. I suppose a trip to a custom sound installer will get those two things done. If something goes wrong with the install, I want the wife glowering at someone besides me! Heh! Heh!

wgregt - I will go back and reread that section of the thread. That sounds very promising. Thanks for the pointer!