RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX350 Need Hot Leads for Always-On USB Ports

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 10:28 PM
FJ40RX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 RX350 Need Hot Leads for Always-On USB Ports

Navigation: Yes

I want to install an always-on USB port in the center console, as well as in the rear cargo area, so i can charge stuff when the car is not turned on.
What i need to know is where to tap into an always-hot circuit in the cabin somewhere. I assume there is one in the dash for something or other.

Does anyone have a good idea which dash/console circuit would be good for this? If so, where can i tap into it?
Can i make the two exiting USB ports under the tray in the console (labeled "aux") hot from another circuit without screwing up something in the radio system? This would be my preference for the hot console ports.
Is there is an always-hot cargo-area circuit? If so where can i tap into it? If not, any suggestions as to how to best route a hot wire back to the cargo area?
If there are no hot circuits live when the car is off, where in the fuse box would be the best place to create one from one of the unused fuse slots? I could run a wire all the way from the main fuse box under the hood, but would prefer to use something from under the dash.
Old 03-22-19, 10:55 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Be careful in what you want.

When the engine starts there is a huge spike in the voltage. So make sure you tap into +12v which is turned off during start. ACC power is disabled during start, but then it is also disabled when you turn the key to Off.

Salim
Old 04-28-19, 06:15 PM
Gosha206
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are options like this for dashcams. I had a magic power pro, or cell link battery but that's not cheap .https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collections/battery-packs
Old 07-06-19, 06:53 PM
wgregt
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FJ40RX350
Navigation: Yes

I want to install an always-on USB port in the center console, as well as in the rear cargo area, so i can charge stuff when the car is not turned on.
What i need to know is where to tap into an always-hot circuit in the cabin somewhere. I assume there is one in the dash for something or other.

Does anyone have a good idea which dash/console circuit would be good for this? If so, where can i tap into it?
Can i make the two exiting USB ports under the tray in the console (labeled "aux") hot from another circuit without screwing up something in the radio system? This would be my preference for the hot console ports.
Is there is an always-hot cargo-area circuit? If so where can i tap into it? If not, any suggestions as to how to best route a hot wire back to the cargo area?
If there are no hot circuits live when the car is off, where in the fuse box would be the best place to create one from one of the unused fuse slots? I could run a wire all the way from the main fuse box under the hood, but would prefer to use something from under the dash.
Yeah, I'd like to do this too. Any idea if there are spots in the fusebox to tap into a 12V wire? Have you solved this, FJ40RX350?
Old 07-09-19, 06:57 AM
Mrvmax
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed a Cellink Neo on the 10 amp mirror circuit for my dash cams. I’ve been running it a couple weeks with no issues.
Old 07-09-19, 08:04 AM
wgregt
Pit Crew

I'd love to know more about how you tapped into the mirror circuit. Happen to remember which color port or location (I think it is two horizontal rows of 5 or 6 ports each row? I'm color blind so the location might be more useful if you know it) you used for hot and neg leads? I'm assuming yours is swiched power that comes on with the ignition?
Old 07-09-19, 11:59 AM
Mrvmax
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wgregt
I'd love to know more about how you tapped into the mirror circuit. Happen to remember which color port or location (I think it is two horizontal rows of 5 or 6 ports each row? I'm color blind so the location might be more useful if you know it) you used for hot and neg leads? I'm assuming yours is swiched power that comes on with the ignition?
i don’t recall where it was , the fuse ID in on the cover. I bought a mini fuse tap from the auto store, pulled out the fuse, inserted the tap and wired to my Cellink wire. The Cellink had a ground wire so I attached that on the firewall, there’s a bracket that holds something around the fuse box so I used that. The Cellink is always on and controls the charge so I don’t worry about it.
Old 07-09-19, 03:02 PM
wgregt
Pit Crew

Oh. You went to the fusebox. I was thinking you went to the mirror.
Old 08-04-19, 06:46 PM
Elofeye
Driver

Originally Posted by FJ40RX350
Has anyone figured this out? I would love to have an always on power supply like a lot of the American car manufacturers have.
Old 08-04-19, 06:52 PM
wgregt
Pit Crew

I went to the mirror on my own finally for my radar detector. Found a power supply wire there that I tapped into, but it's only when the car is in drive or park. When I back out of a space in reverse, the RD goes dark...no power. Put it into drive and it's back on again. It works but...I'd rather have it on 24/7 when the engine is on. I need to reassess, but have not done so yet.
Old 08-04-19, 06:54 PM
wgregt
Pit Crew

I tapped into the top row of the mirror connector, not the more easily accessible bottom row. The top row is problematic b/c the wiring harness bends harshly UP, covering all of the top row of wires. It's tough to tap into these top ports, but do-able.
Old 08-06-19, 05:12 AM
Elofeye
Driver

The mirror connector?
Old 08-06-19, 07:52 AM
wgregt
Pit Crew

Yes. You have power to your rear view mirror, correct? My 2010 has a rear view monitor in the mirror, so it's powered by the car battery somewhere down the line. The connector is the plastic block of wires that plugs into the back of the mirror. Snaps in. Wires feed into this connector. You can access them from the back of the connector.
Old 08-06-19, 09:17 AM
Elofeye
Driver

Thank you. Now that makes sense. I'm wanting an always on power supply or USB port. I didn't realize you were hooking up a dash cam.
Old 08-06-19, 09:30 AM
wgregt
Pit Crew

I'm not. I hooked up a radar detector. Hangs under the mirror.

I did a USB port as well. Tied into the fuse box near the drivers left leg. Mounted it low on the bottom of the dash near the hood pull lever. I did this b/c I use a RAM mount windshield suction cup for my phone etc and didn't want to feed the wire all the way into the center console.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX350 Need Hot Leads for Always-On USB Ports