RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rubber oil cooler hose but no warranty extension

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 04:15 PM
Ouskullz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber oil cooler hose but no warranty extension

Hello, I have a 2011 RX 350, and recently learned about the warranty extension of the rubber oil cooler hose (10 year/150K in case of failure only, in the US). My car was produced in January 2011 in Canada, and first put into service in September 2011 in the US. I currently have 75K miles on it.

When calling Lexus about the ZLC campaign, Lexus tells me that my particular VIN isn’t covered for the warranty extension. This is despite having a visual check, confirming the rubber hose, done by independent shop at my last oil change, and the ZLC campaign indicating that the notice includes cars through late August 2011 production dates. Specifically, they said certain compound in the rubber had caused production issues but my rubber version hose was not covered as the extension is VIN specific (despite it being pressurized rubber hose), but didn’t have any technical details and suggested that dealer will be very familiar with the procedure if I wanted to replace with a metal piece at my own cost.

Does that sound like a reasonable answer? And what should I do:

1) press Lexus for more details and try to get included for extension, though not likely to be successful
2) replace the hose at my own cost right away
3) don’t do anything, if the components is not deemed to be faulty.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ouskullz; 03-28-19 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-28-19, 06:23 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ouskullz
Does that sound like a reasonable answer? And what should I do:

1) press Lexus for more details and try to get included for extension, though not likely to be successful
2) replace the hose at my own cost right away
3) don’t do anything, if the components is not deemed to be faulty.
I wouldn't fight over this with the dealership. Though, I would try at another dealership by calling..

2) replace the hose at my own cost right away!

My strategy would be waiting till I do a major service, not necessarily at Lexus but say, Toyota or a reputable shop. I would buy the part and ask them to throw in the installation.
The other option is to do it yourself. It's a simple upgrade and needs nothing but meticulousness!
Old 03-28-19, 09:31 PM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

That service bulletin is not a recall. It states that if the rubber hose shows any sign of oil leaking then dealer will replace free of charge as long as the car is less than 10 years or less than 150k miles. Last year my 2010 RX was shooting oil all over the engine frame when I was driving at low speed in town, a few miles from my local Lexus dealer. I got it towed to the dealer and they replaced it with the metal oil pipe and added a few quarts of oil, all at no charge.

If the rubber hose gets busted on the highway, the engine will likely get seized and damaged. Replace with metal oil pipe at your expense to be safe and save the potential high cost of needing a new engine.
Old 03-29-19, 06:35 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

check out my DIY writeup. If you have the space..the replacement is easy to do with minimal tools and would cost less than your local garage labor rate..just take your time. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...eplacment.html
Old 03-29-19, 08:06 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 431 Likes on 345 Posts

Starting at what model year was this no longer an issue due to Lexus replacing the rubber hose with a metal tube?
Old 03-29-19, 08:15 AM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

2013 RX is clear of this issue. Majority of 2007-2012 RX have rubber oil cooler line.
Old 04-01-19, 04:23 PM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ever thought to check your dipstick oil and happen to drip oil on that hose? just kidding.
Old 04-01-19, 04:42 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,020 Posts

That has been suggested by others......not April Fools
Old 04-03-19, 08:33 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

Are you able to PM me your VIN? I'd be interested in checking into it for you.

Jeff
Old 04-04-19, 08:03 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

As per my PM, it looks like your vehicle is not equipped with an oil cooler and so does not have oil cooler hoses. I am not sure what the shop was looking at when they did your oil change.

Jeff
The following users liked this post:
Ouskullz (04-04-19)
Old 04-04-19, 09:40 PM
Ouskullz
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much Jeff. I wish Lexus call center customer service would have informed me of this, but it looks like they don’t know much about cars, like me.

Only other maintenance issue I need to address is replacing the transmission fluid, given the 76k miles. Per multiple threads on the forum, it sounds like I should ask the Toyota dealer to do a fluid exchange and not a flush. And given that there is no dipstick, it would be a tedious process to do multiple drain and refills with a relative that is familiar with cars.
Old 11-20-19, 08:49 AM
kbw100273
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2011 RX350. Purchased certified pre-owned from dealer with 25k miles. Now up to 92k miles. Told me today need a new radiator and that the Engine Oil Cooler Pipes have seepage.

My certified Lexus Mechanic (not dealer, but is authorized for warranty work) has been telling us for a while to replace the hoses. Today he said there was some seepage from the Engine Oil Cooler Pipe. They want to charge almost $1k to replace. I called Lexus and was told my VIN was covered and that the new Primary Coverage was extended to Jan 31,2021. The warranty work has to be done at a Lexus Dealer. We canceled the Lexus Mechanic and I will take to the dealer with hopes�� it's fully covered. The dealer has notated my service order as such and I have pictures from my mechanic. I just hope they replace all the hoses and not just the leaky one. But I guess it's worth it to make the 2nd trip for the warranty coverage
Old 11-20-19, 09:50 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,020 Posts

FYI the oil cooler hoses are a pair that are next to each other, are very short and are always both replaced at the same time with a single metal unit that includes both hoses.
Now the leaky radiator is another issue separate from the oil cooler hoses.
However it is terrible for your mechanic to quote a thousand dollars if that is just for replacing the oil cooler pipe as it costs under $100 and takes only a couple of hours at most to replace. I suspect the thousand dollars also includes a new radiator and new coolant.
Old 11-20-19, 10:01 AM
kbw100273
Driver School Candidate

No. He was quoting $2k for the radiator and the hoses !!!! Agree Radiator is a different issue. I had a feeling our mechanic might be growing fast and pushing things on us and charging a lot I feel like he should know about the warranty enhancement on the pipes. I should also clarify that this $2k quote was including our 90k service... so that may be a part of it.
Old 11-20-19, 10:08 AM
kbw100273
Driver School Candidate

Also thanks for letting me know that the hoses are a pair. Whew.

Quick Reply: Rubber oil cooler hose but no warranty extension