RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Puncture tire, no leak (assuming)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 04:33 AM
prtuc2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Puncture tire, no leak (assuming)?

Yesterday on my way to work after parking my car I went to check the wears of my car tires and spotted a nail on the rear driver car tire. Stupid me pulling the nail out, I took pressure reading at 4pm at 40psi then around 10:30pm it was 36psi. Call you a tire shop told them I don't have wheel lock key and told them is a Lexus do you have the key they replied yes. Got to the shop all rusts wheel lock the guy hammer it in and snapping off my wheel lock forcing me to buy a new lug nut from him. I point to him where the hole is and he just spray tire with soap water. He say no leak and even if I pay for the plug or patching the tire. Charge me 27 dollars doing nothing much then breaking my wheel lock.

This morning I went to check tire pressure at 38psi (tire shop pump it to 40psi) not sure if there is a leak but the tire was driven 25 miles last night to now 2psi drop probably due to the temperature settling in after the heat generate by driving. Is it safe to drive around with a hole puncture even if no significant or actual leak in the car tire?

Just one more thing: after all my horrible experiences with my local stores I decided to go DIY myself. I would like to know if anyone can help me finding the right tool for my 2013 Lexus RX350 base model. I plan to change my own brake fluid and oil, but wasn't sure what size for the vehicle? Thanks for any information.
Old 04-02-19, 08:08 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

If the wheel lock came with the vehicle from Lexus, it is usually MCGaurd wheel lock. [It is a dealer installed option]. Just drive your vehicle [now that you can] to the dealership and the parts store will be able to match the key. Key lock come in about 20-25 different pattern, making them some what unique. So do not purchase any McGaurd key, without ensuring it fits. The key is less than $20. If you can't drive just snap a picture and most likely the sales person will be able to tell which key might work .. purchase two or three as needed and return the unused ones.

I too was driving without the key for almost a year and the once I realized I did not have the key, I had to rush to Lexus.

Salim

PS: When faced with abnormal situation, take a step back and think about consequences of any action you plan to take. eg: When you pulled the nail .. the offending object is out, but the air will leak out too. This is an advice which is easy to give. OP thank you for sharing your experience for the benefit of readers.

Last edited by salimshah; 04-02-19 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-02-19, 02:19 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

You may have a card from McGuard with your lock & key code. It is usually stuck among the owners' manuals or purchase documents.

Your air pressure variations may just be due to temperature increases and decreases from driving and parking. You need to monitor it for a few days. I suspect there is no leak. I have had the same situation, where I saw a nail in the tire. I was at home when I jacked up my car, removed the tire and yanked out the nail. It was so short it did not penetrate the tread much and did not reach through the tire carcass. No leak.

Last edited by Clutchless; 04-02-19 at 02:24 PM.