RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 08:18 AM
Tsol180
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New owner questions

Hello Club Lexus!

I'm new to the brand with a recent purchase of a 2011 RX350 AWD (46k miles, seemingly well maintained).

Coming from years of vehicle ownership punishment from TDI Volkswagens, I'm accustomed to highly specific maintenance, heavy customization and a tight community of enthusiasts. While this site has been helpful in the pre-purchase process, I am not drinking from a fire-hose trying to learn as much as I can in a short amount of time. I am still trying to get used to the personality of the vehicle, it's weird (to me) noises, etc...

I will preemptively apologize for asking seemingly simple questions here; I have searched a few topics, but received mixed answers. If you have links to resources that better answer my question, I welcome them.

On to the queries:

1: When cold, the transmission seems to whine. As the needle rises, it quiets down. I've read this is 'lifetime' fluid, but that's plain rubbish in my opinion. I tend to be hard on cars and believe that fluids should be regularly changed. I've read that drain/fill process is the preferred method, but that it's a challenge to perform. Should I inquire with dealer to do this service including the filter? What is the average expected cost for this service? I intend to use OE fluid, not something off the shelf (per recommendations read here).

2: Differential fluids - What is the recommended weight/interval? Synthetic?

3: Power Steering - Is this system separate from others, or combined with the brake hydraulics? Steering doesn't feel as smooth all the time and dealer strongly recommended a brake fluid change. Assumption is they're linked and I intend on doing this service soon.

4: Trusted mechanic list - Has this community developed a nationwide (global?) Trusted Mechanic List? In the TDI world, this is a lifesaver, as the TDI is a different animal than the gas models, and the Trusted Mechanic follow a pretty common philosophy and mindset of quality parts, proper intervals, proper fluids, etc. This was the answer to dealerships that didn't do well by TDI owners either by charging too much or not being comprehensive with certain services. My local dealer in Metro Detroit already showed their shady side with tactics like showing me a ridiculously dirty air filter (when Previous Owner showed me that it was replaced right before sale), so my trust level is low with this dealer. I'd rather find a good Indy mechanic that will communicate clearly true needs of the vehicle and provide proper recommendations.

5: OBD Cable - I have been doing a lot of reading on this topic, but there is a lot of conflicting information. Can someone link me to a couple options on Amazon for the right cable? Discussion about software/activation/etc seems to be all over the map on this topic and I will continue to research this portion, but I'd like to get a cable ordered asap.

6: ICE (In-Car Entertainment): I have the Premium 12 speaker system with Nav. I've read the woes of outdated maps and expen$ive updates, the GROM VL2, but what I haven't seen is information to the core system that may address bugs with the existing setup. I find that connecting my Iphone to the USB is flaky at best and would like to improve this if it's possible. Are there firmware updates to the system available, or are they tied to the NAV updates requiring me to shell out ridiculous money?

I'm sure there are plenty more questions I will have as my ownership continues, but for now I'll minimize the wall of text and see what the community is able to provide.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Old 04-08-19, 10:08 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Welcome to CL. I will try to address some of your concerns in number order.

1. That is probably a normal noise you need to get used to hearing. You should get the trans fluid exchanged by 50,000 (now is fine also) Call around to local Toyota and Lexus dealers to learn who will do it and their pricing. Many folks get their Lexus vehicles serviced at Toyota dealers as all the mechanicals are the same. The RX350 is a mechanical twin to the Toyota Highlander, Venza and Sienna. The engine and transmission are also used in the Camry, ES350 and other vehicles. Thus they are very common and many folks know how to work on them. I would not bother with the transmission filter. Doing a fluid exchange is enough. Your filter is more like a window screen and to get at it they have to loosen the motor mounts to lift the motor a bit to access a couple of transmission pan bolts which is a lot of labor for minimal or dubious benefit.

I recently had a relative's Lexus ES350 transmission fluid exchanged (same trans) at a Toyota dealer for about $250. I actually had the trans fluid, brake fluid and coolant done for a total cost of $525.00 They used a BG transmission fluid exchangemachine and I think a BG coolant machine.

2. Rear Differential takes 75w80 or 75w90 synthetic gear lube. I just use Mobil 1. I would do it now if it has never been done. Also, change the transfer case fluid it also takes the same fluid as the rear differential. FYI the front differential is in the transmission.

3. We have electric power steering. No fluid to mess with. No required maintenance or adjustments.

4. We do not have such a list. You could check out the regional forums on CL. These are basically Toyotas and thousands of mechanics know how to work on them as Toyota sells millions of vehicles. I do recommend folks use the Mechanix files from listeners of the old public radio show Car Talk. Just search for Toyota or Lexus mechanics in your area. https://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files

5. & 6. I defer to others on this topic. I have not had cable issues. The Nav system sucks and costs a fortune to have the dealer update it. I have intermittent issues wherein my Android phone fails to connect to Bluetooth. There are other forums on CL for audio and in car entertainment.https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...lectronics-12/

A great source for mechanical and other do it yourself information is the Toyota Highlander forum at this link look at the sticky threads first https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...ion-2008-2013/

Good Luck with your new ride

Last edited by Clutchless; 04-08-19 at 10:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RX10 (10-04-20)
Old 04-08-19, 10:48 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

I like the OP's suggestion of Trusted mechanic list.
Old 04-08-19, 12:01 PM
Tsol180
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
All the great stuff posted
Thank you very much for the resources and advice. Most specifically about fluids, interval and costs. The whining scares me a little, but if this is considered normal for these vehicles, I'll calm my soul a little bit keep a watchful eye.

As as far as ICE, I'm diving deep into this research, as the 'premium' audio isn't quite premium enough for my ears. I'm spoiled in that I work for a tier 1 supplier that designs audio systems, so of course I want more...and I have access to some really smart people who may be able to help me get this thing sounding the way I like.

The cable topic remains open and I'm looking forward to additional responses.

Thanks again for a great response.
Old 04-08-19, 02:12 PM
Clutchless

If you just bought it and there is a warranty or return window, now is the time to bring it to a shop to have the transmission noise evaluated.

Others have done audio upgrades including adding another subwoofer, a bigger amplifier and different speakers. Do some searching.
The following users liked this post:
navarachi (04-20-19)
Old 04-08-19, 03:49 PM
Tsol180
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
If you just bought it and there is a warranty or return window, now is the time to bring it to a shop to have the transmission noise evaluated.

Others have done audio upgrades including adding another subwoofer, a bigger amplifier and different speakers. Do some searching.
No warranty, private party purchase...but I'm sure some dirtbag will blow up my phone offering to sell me one eventually.

As far as searching, I don't know how to determine which sound system I have. I believe it has the 12 speaker system, but I only see refeeence to a 9 speaker and a ML system. How do I tell what I have? If it's not the ML system, who makes the speakers/HU? (Harman, Denso, etc)
Old 04-08-19, 04:08 PM
Clutchless

If you have Navigation then you have the 12 speaker system.
Speakers are probably Pioneer, Panasonic or other Japanese supplier.

Last edited by Clutchless; 04-08-19 at 04:18 PM.