RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation Display - Flickers, Shuts off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 05:17 PM
nops00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Navigation Display - Flickers, Shuts off.

I am new here, I apologize if this post is in the wrong section.

My 2015 RX 350 was in an accident on the front passenger side, no airbags deployed or frame damage. After some wheel/headlight/body repair I got everything working except a display screen issue.

When I start the car the screen goes haywire (flickers fast, sometimes stays stable a few minutes, eventually gives up and shuts off by itself after 15-30 minutes). Dealership wants ~$5,500 parts/labor and won't let me use a tested & working used navi unit if I provide it. I've taken it to 3 experienced mechanics and everyone says they don't see what the issue is. No codes, no electrical issues observed. Dealership told me there are wires damaged or missing, but won't specifically show me which ones and nobody else who's looked at it can find these allegedly damaged wires.

My guess is maybe there is improper contact somewhere along the path the wiring harness is routed and its causing it to eventually give up and shut off.

I guess any advice at all would be appreciated if someone's experienced a similar situation. Car works great otherwise, I just don't have the money to fix this at a dealer
Old 04-10-19, 10:23 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Who did the front end repair .. specially near the headlight.

I would focus on the area of damage and check wiring harness(es) that may have been damaged.

You can make more logical choice if you have the electrical wiring digram, then you can trace if the display related wires run near the damaged area.

Salim
Old 04-11-19, 07:08 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

I would be interested in knowing if this is just a screen issue, or the entire system is crashing. When the screen goes dead, do all the functions still work - sound system, hvac through the other buttons on dash/steering wheel. Does the mouse still feel like it's working normally (slight resistance to movement). If that is the case, it could simply be the screen itself malfunctioning. Working in IT, I've seen a lot of LCD displays die in my day and this kind of sounds like what LCD displays do when a resistor is going bad, or the back light is failing.

Something to ponder...
Old 04-11-19, 09:41 AM
nops00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Droid13
I would be interested in knowing if this is just a screen issue, or the entire system is crashing. When the screen goes dead, do all the functions still work - sound system, hvac through the other buttons on dash/steering wheel. Does the mouse still feel like it's working normally (slight resistance to movement). If that is the case, it could simply be the screen itself malfunctioning. Working in IT, I've seen a lot of LCD displays die in my day and this kind of sounds like what LCD displays do when a resistor is going bad, or the back light is failing.

Something to ponder...
Everything continues working after it crashes. In fact, while it's flickering I can still move around the options and its very responsive. Even after it shuts off, the radio or blue-tooth still continues working, and if I change the temperature or the radio station the screen will display it at the top as I manipulate station or temperature, even as it's blacked out (so I assume it's still on(?), it just gave up trying to display the main menu, etc.)

What I wanted to do along with ordering a used navi head unit, was also buy the connectors and wiring that go with it, but everything I found for sale at reasonable price only included the display and not the wires. I called two dealerships in my area to try and figure out what the correctpart# for the wire harness were and they told me they don't give part#'s over the phone because people have been trying to save money and avoid paying for their parts and service. I'm not sure if re-routing and installing new wiring is something I an do at home, but that would be the next step in my testing I suppose.

The car only has 36k on it, I'd hate to think the LCD's time has come to a natural end.

Last edited by nops00; 04-11-19 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-11-19, 09:42 AM
nops00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Who did the front end repair .. specially near the headlight.

I would focus on the area of damage and check wiring harness(es) that may have been damaged.

You can make more logical choice if you have the electrical wiring digram, then you can trace if the display related wires run near the damaged area.

Salim
I just downloaded some pdf's this morning of wiring diagrams, thanks for this suggestion!
Old 04-12-19, 05:47 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by nops00
I change the temperature or the radio station the screen will display it at the top as I manipulate station or temperature, even as it's blacked out .
The temp and radio station appear on the screen completely normally, overlaying the otherwise black screen? Pictures or video would be interesting to see.
Old 04-12-19, 10:09 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Did you not have any insurance coverage for this accident and if so, it should also cover this damage. Or was the accident your fault and you did not use insurance?