RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear Brake Light Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 01:22 PM
markmil1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YOU DA MAN!! Actually looked at things ...Yes thats it and the picture has a back view of it that shows what i've been trying to tell people...2 bulbs and that LED...kinda silly they made it p/o that assembly and i bet theirs a way to just replace the LED in some manner, but probably more issues..
https://www.carid.com/2015-lexus-rx-...-35519741.html

thanks,!
Old 05-23-19, 01:50 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,179 Likes on 1,007 Posts

You said this was related to an accident and body repair around that tail lamp area. Most body shops warranty their work for a year. You should return to them and demand they make it work again as it is apparently related to something they did to your vehicle. If insurance was involved also contact your insurance company or the company for the folks that ran into you.
Old 11-18-19, 07:01 PM
Stefanica
Driver School Candidate

Default Problems with my stops

I can't figure out what happened with my stops. I tried changing my bulbs and it didn't work.

What can be the problem?

The other side works perfect

Old 11-20-19, 05:48 AM
Clutchless

Make sure you got the same bulbs.
Check the bulb visually to be sure the filament is intact. It may be defective.
Also, this gives you a chance to be sure it was installed properly and that the wire connections are secure.
Look for socket corrosion.
If all looks good, swap bulb with other side and see if it works over there and if those bulbs work on this side.
Old 11-22-19, 04:58 AM
abutcher
Driver School Candidate

Doesn't anyone read anymore? The 2010-2012 RX350 BRAKE LIGHTS are LED and the "light bulb" LED's are not simply replaceable. Unless you are an electrical engineer and can change out LED's on a circuit board with the same correct LED's, and good luck in finding them, and you have to disassemble the sealed unit, you have to change the whole lamp assembly. The assembly houses 2 replaceable bulbs, a running tail light bulb and the turn signal bulb. How many people here said to replace the bulb? There is NO bulb people. Go to walmart and look up on their little Sylvania computer for a replace brake light bulb, there isn't one!

I am here because my right 2010 LExus RX-350 brake/stop lamp is out as well.
Old 11-22-19, 06:56 AM
Clutchless

Well, he swapped out some bulb and certainly wasn't LED. I have never needed to replace one but found this:

The following bulbs in the taillights are replaceable with the bulb numbers listed.
Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb 7440
Rear Side Marker Light Bulb 194
Tail Light Bulb 194
Back Up Light Bulb 921

However I doubt we will hear back from Stefanica again to learn more about what he actually did.
Old 11-24-19, 05:57 AM
Stefanica
Driver School Candidate

I will work on this today
Thank you everyone
Old 09-22-23, 02:43 PM
joecal
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Tail light fault indicator

Hello,

I wanted to thank you for your information on the faulty brake light indicator and how to tell between tail light and brake light failure. The post was about 10 years ago and they were all over the place but you tried to straighten them out. Saved me loads of time. Fixed right brake light and also 3rd brake light as a bonus that had been out for I don't know how long. Nice to have the annoying dash light go away. I think the 3rd brake light is independent of the warning indicator.

a Big Thanks
Joe

Originally Posted by salimshah
Please make a distinction between bulb and lamp. The lamp is used here as the assembly that houses the bulb(s) and is installed on the body. Typically the lamp [as used here] needs to be replaced due to an accident. Lexus part store folks may be rightly confused as they expect to replace the "lamp" due to accident.

The bulbs are a different story and over time (based on model) we are switching over from filament, to xxx, to LED. Manufacturers are replacing stand alone bulbs to LEDs and many owners are swapping out filament bulbs to LED. Due to operational voltage difference a string of LEDs is used to make a 12v bulb.

By nature of construction the LEDs do not pop (very unlike fillament). So they are now gradually becoming part of the the lamp. Hard integration is my terminology. [like the nike look alike check mark around the headlights]

Back to the issue at hand.
Since the LEDs don't fail, first check for voltage [preferably with a low wattage light bulb] at the final connector. Voltmeter would work too, but if you have partial break in the line, it gives you 12v as there is no current flow. Odds are that you will find the problem here.

Then determine if the failing light source is a stand alone bulb or hard-integrated LED (then it is the lamp that needs to be replaced). If it is a stand alone bulb (many LEDs encapsulated together), one has to verify the polarity is right [LEDs work only if +12v and ground are connected in proper way)

Last case is if the LED is hard-integrated with the lamp assembly then one has to replace the lamp.

Note: If OP posts a picture of the lamp assembly we can confirm if it is part of Lamp or stand-alone. I dont have the same yr/model RX

Salim