RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is RX As Quiet as ES, GX, other?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 03:48 PM
cognus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Is RX As Quiet as ES, GX, other?

This is one of those "its Subjective Stoopid!!" kind of posts, but there is some science, and subjectivity, to it. I value Quiet in a vehicle more than anything these days and am looking to replace my 4Runner with something super quiet on rough roads, as we like to tour using secondary roads when we can, plus we live in a semi-rural area of Texas Hill Country where roads are rough, uneven, and charismatic. I searched long and hard before buying my wife an RX and she loves it. But it was not at the top of the list for reasons of stealthy quiet.

My question to you is: if you have owned or driven [more than once] same generation ES350, GS350 or 460, LS460 [basically all in the range of ~'10 to '15], do you think the RX is as quiet on such roads? Basically, to my ears, and to my app [sound meter and spectroid] it is roughly the same as my 4runner except moves the noise around a bit: the 4runner is a little more isolated from road/tire noise, and the RX is way better on wind noise. But I drove at least a half-dozen Gen 3 RX's prior to buying, I owned a Gen 2 RX years ago, and I have driven in the last year of searching 4 or 5 LS's, about that many ES's, and one GS. One ES350 I drove was a real standout, and I drove it on rough roads and Interstate - I don't know why it was so quiet but it still stands out. The LS's frankly were a mixed bag: they were super hushed on good roads, clearly leading the Lexus pack, but still annoying a bit on very rough surfaces. The GS I happened to drive had good tread [it was at Echopark], and in great condition, low miles, but it disappointed in this regard.

The hands-down top dawg however of all the vehicles I've tested was a late model Lincoln Navigator. Wife agrees. Nothing else challenges except for other Navigtors - not Escalade, not Tahoe or Yukon or Sub - although the Expedition Limited I drove for a good long test was in the same zone as Nav.

I don't HAVE to have a truck-based vehicle so I may yet end up with another RX, or ES/GS/LS.

What say you? Input greatly appreciated
Old 05-24-19, 07:36 AM
JerseyJim
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I owned a 2011 Expedition Limited prior to purchasing a 2015 RX-350. In my experience, the Expedition was very quiet when new, but then it developed squeaks and noises as it aged. I like the ride and handling of the Lexus.
Old 05-24-19, 12:20 PM
cognus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how many miles did you put on the expedition?
I too like the feel of the rx, especially the seats. I told my wife the RX was worth its price for the seats; the rest was bonus. It certainly holds a line far better than the 4Runner, but the road noise gets on my nerves. Fatigue-inducing.

Does anyone happen to know if it is worth pursuing a set of 18" wheels to try with tall tire size? I should do some more digging on that. Also, auto audio shops can do more sound-proofing. I especially hear the road roar from the hatch area.
Old 05-24-19, 12:45 PM
JerseyJim
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put 94K miles on the Expedition when I sold it. I had two issues with it: Several coil packs had to be replaced and the front control arm bushings had to be replaced. Other than that, just normal wear and tear.

My RX has 18" wheels. I don't seem to notice the road noise with the Bridgestone tires that came with it.
Old 05-24-19, 02:21 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

There are two different but related items.

Sound insulation:
This you cant beat in LS and from your observation it seems you agree that on smooth roads the noise immunity is best in LS.

Vibration damping:
Due to rough road, vibration travels inside the cabin and that energy disseminates in sound. Tires can make a difference, but each make/model, suspension and interior will give you a different experience. Things can go out of whack with worn/defective suspension. Over time the American made vehicles would be the most plush and leading the pack would be the Cadillac line and Lincolns and Olds (and other reincarnations). Lexus has been moving away from this design point as GS being the farthest. [your post notes that too].

Best suggestion I can give is, find the vehicle that is acceptable to you on rough roads. Then have sound insulation added either inside or outside the cabin. There used to be "dynamat" or some similar name product for sound insulation.

Let us know what you decide.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 05-24-19 at 08:20 PM. Reason: dynamite -> dynamat correction ..
Old 05-24-19, 06:50 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Dynamat. Do not insulate your vehicle with dynamite.