RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Help !!!!!! 12 rx350 passenger side led brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-18, 12:28 PM
LexusLiife
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '12 RX350 Brake Light Issue **HELP**

I had a brake light that went on the passenger side, changed the bulb and it still isnt working.. I know its not the fuse because the other brake lights are all working fine.. just happened suddenly was working just fine yesterday.. has anyone else had this problem? Any advice you could share with me? Praying this isnt an electrical issue.. also I dont see the brake lamp failure light on my dash like I had on my older Lexus models...
Old 06-07-18, 12:55 PM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Hmmm ....rear brake light on RX350 is LED, there is no bulb to replace ... check the wiring connection instead ...
Old 06-07-18, 01:04 PM
LexusLiife
Driver School Candidate

ok, so I purchased a 5w what the dealer called a "peanut light" from the lexus parts dept at the dealership and just popped it in.. but it didnt light up.. it was right next to the yellow signal bulb in the light assembly... not sure about LED? maybe its the tail light and I said brake light..only because it lights up when I brake..sorry Im a novice..
Old 06-07-18, 03:01 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

The new bulb could be defective. I would swap bulbs left to right side and back as a test. If it works on the other side, the bulb is good and you have an electrical issue. Then you need a mechanic.

I think it is the regular version of this bulb http://www.xenondepot.com/194-automo...lbs-s/1003.htm

This link lists most of the bulbs http://www.xenondepot.com/2012-rx350...bs-s/27283.htm

Last edited by Clutchless; 06-07-18 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-07-18, 03:19 PM
LexusLiife
Driver School Candidate

Yeah.. that's what I was afraid of..
Old 02-20-19, 06:42 AM
edsrx350x2
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 tail lamp

does the tail lamp on the fender have LEDs? tail lamp bulb broke and replaced but does not function
when I step on the brake . looked on passenger side and it seems that there are LEDS top and bottom when stepping on the brake
does that mean I need new tail lamp?? I don't think the LEDS are replaceable.

Last edited by edsrx350x2; 02-20-19 at 06:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-25-19, 06:10 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Which light is the one that doesn't function? The parking light (also known as clearance light) or the signal light?
Did you mean the red light on the lower bumper?
Brakes (up and down) are LED and they hardly go wrong. Everything else is incandescent based.

Maybe a picture could help.

Cheers

Last edited by heshamos; 02-25-19 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-25-19, 08:38 AM
edsrx350x2
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the reply.
The Tail light lens assembly is on the fender rear drivers side .Parking light is functioning and signal is functioning in that lens assembly
but not the LED brake light when stepping on the brake. Third brake light and passenger side brake light is functioning.

Last edited by edsrx350x2; 02-25-19 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added mlore info
Old 02-25-19, 08:49 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

The brake light can't be replaced individually and must come with the tail light assembly all together.
There are options to choose but the cheapest will probably be the junk yard. What year is your vehicle?
Old 02-25-19, 09:57 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by heshamos
The brake light can't be replaced individually and must come with the tail light assembly altogether.
There are options to choose but the cheapest will probably be the junkyard. What year is your vehicle?
ed says 2010 in the title of his first post.
Ray A.
Old 02-25-19, 10:06 AM
edsrx350x2
Driver School Candidate

yes its a 2010. so you think the LEDS burned out?
Old 02-25-19, 10:07 AM
raylor4
Instructor

ed...Your first post isn't clear to me. You said the tail lamp broke and was replaced, but does not function when you step on the brake. These are two different circuits. Did you mean the tail light assembly was replaced?
Are you saying your brake light on the left fender doesn't come on when stepping on the brake, but all other brake lights function properly? I would look for a loose connection to the malfunctioning brake light before heading to the junkyard. That tail light assembly won't be cheap, in my opinion. Good luck. Sorry that happened to you.
I agree with heshamos...LEDs rarely go out.
Our '11 RX has LEDs for the brakes. Yours should too. Hope this helps.
BTW, LEDs are polarity specific. If you spliced the new brake light assembly into the brake wires of the car, try switching them to see if the brake lights come on. I had this problem with custom LEDs I installed on my Highlander years ago.
Ray A.

Last edited by raylor4; 02-25-19 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts...
Old 02-25-19, 10:34 AM
edsrx350x2
Driver School Candidate

NO did not replace the Tail lens assembly . To clarify . my wife was driving the car and she was stopped by a cop who said her taillight was out. when she got home the whole rear driver side parking lights on both fender and hatch , bottom red light were all not functioning,
hit the lens and the red bottom light turned as well as the hatch light . so some kind of connection issue. but not the parking light on the fender mounted tail lens assembly. bought new bulb as it looked burned out , replaced . now it works but not the brake light. Looking online there is a module connected to that tail lens assembly . I would probably have to remove the whole back panel to check that module which I assume is for the LEDs. unfortunately u can not just replace the module. its included in the tail lens assembly. New OEM is about $450.00 . if I go used I don't know how to check functionality not until I put it on.

Last edited by edsrx350x2; 02-25-19 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-25-19, 10:49 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by edsrx350x2
NO did not replace the Tail lens assembly . To clarify . my wife was driving the car and she was stopped by a cop who said her taillight was out. when she got home the whole rear driver side parking lights on both fender and hatch , bottom red light were all not functioning,
hit the lens and the red bottom light turned as well as the hatch light . so some kind of connection issue. but not the parking light on the fender mounted tail lens assembly. bought new bulb as it looked burned out , replaced . now it works but not the brake light. Looking online there is a module connected to that tail lens assembly . I would probably have to remove the whole back panel to check that module which I assume is for the LEDs. unfortunately u can not just replace the module. its included in the tail lens assembly. New OEM is about $450.00 . if I go used I don't know how to check functionality not until I put it on.
Ed - Thanks for clarifying everything. I'm sorry you have to go through this frustrating repair.
Ray A.
Old 02-25-19, 11:41 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by edsrx350x2
After this detailed background of how the rear lights were out including parking lights and once you tapped on the rear driver side things came to life, I'm more suspicious now that the problem might not be in the LEDs!
I'm thinking measuring the voltage output of the wires leading to the driver's rear brake light is a one quick check that must be done. If there's no voltage reading then you will have to trace the wiring to see where the problem was initiated. Do you guys have rodents in your area?

Quick Reply: Help !!!!!! 12 rx350 passenger side led brake light issue