RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Affordable Transmission Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 10:53 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by zuluzulu

They told me to drive the car for another week.. (and somehow the issue will get resolved?)

and then call them back!
Thanks for telling us about your experience, this is valuable resource for the community.

I herd people often have problems with rebuild transmissions, but I thought AAMCO would do better.

Sorry to hear the trouble you are having after spending $4500 to fix your car
Old 07-31-19, 05:03 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

It may be due to improper ATF fluid level. Also there is some learning by the transmission CPU so it may improve in a week. Good Luck.
Old 08-01-19, 10:42 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Please, I beg of you, provide data that your transmissions are lasting longer than ones that have not had the fluid changed. We constantly have this discussion and no one and I mean no one has actually listed data from a non interested source that changing the transmission fluid on these cars prolongs the life of the unit. Both Lexus and Toyota say don't do it. Now you say Jaguar says no also. Are you telling me that you have data that disagrees with the manufacturer. If you do lets hear it. To make a statement that your transmission will outlast the factory recommendation really needs to be backed up by facts not anecdotal info.

Just so you understand, I am not saying you are wrong, just that I have yet to see data from either Lexus or Toyota (or anybody else) that the transmissions are failing in any way.
You and another member have incredible faith on what the manufacturer says. The other member (can't remember who) always quotes his SA who's been with Lexus over 20+ years how the SA went to Lexus transmission school ( or something like that) and learned the reason for not ever changing fluid is either the wrong amount or wrong type of fluid is used. Dealer techs are not infallible, so what the manufacturer is doing is a risk management decision, pure and simple. The risk of a tech performing the fluid exchange improperly is not worth the benefit financially, on a global scale, and Toyota motor Corp is here make money. So no concrete recommendations for fluid change. Some dealers still do it as evidenced on this forum, but not all. I plan on keeping my ride for well over 100k miles, so I do it, but I live on the desert, where my external temp gauge read 120 this past week, and heat kills transmissions, and part of that is from the fluid breaking down. Sorry for the rant.

Hopefully the tranny learning factor smooths out the shifts for the OP over the coming week. Hard shifting can be from multiple issues relating to the fluid as previously stated, or a leak in the valve body, incorrectly reassembly etc etc. Stay on those AAMCO people Zulu and report back please
Old 08-04-19, 04:54 PM
zuluzulu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It may be due to improper ATF fluid level. Also there is some learning by the transmission CPU so it may improve in a week. Good Luck.
Sooooo the story continues....

i drove over the weekend and I suddenly got a transmission fluid overheat warning!

Then it it turned into check engine light, traction control is off... and then weird shifting and weird noises from the transmission.

Now it won’t even go when I put it in drive.. it doesn’t roll.. almost like first gear is screwed!

calling AAMCO on Monday... let’s see what they say !!

hopefully they won’t give me any “attitude”. I regret not doing this at Lexus or Toyota !

Last edited by zuluzulu; 08-04-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-05-19, 06:24 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Obviously AAMCO screwed up this job!

I hope they're not going to try and charge you additional money to fix this "other problem", they should own up to it.

Thanks for the update.