RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Looking to get an RX350, which year is recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 02:18 PM
Eponagirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking to get an RX350, which year is recommended?

I am looking into getting a used Lexus Rx350 and may have an opportunity to buy one from a friend that has a 2010 with approx. 40K miles on it. It is a short commute car and is probably well cared for (they love their cars). I am concerned about getting a 9-10 yr old one vs finding a new version like maybe a 2014, however those might be 40-50K mile vehicles. Thinking if I didn't get the friend's car, would try CPO...is that really better than just general used? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Eponagirl; 10-09-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-21-19, 04:40 PM
Notgrownup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum...it depends how much money you have to spend or want to.
Old 07-21-19, 05:16 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,020 Posts

With a CPO you are paying a few thousand dollar premium for a warranty and alleged piece of mind that Lexus checked it out properly and selected a good car to sell.
If you know the used car and seller, those can be the best deals around.
My neighbor just got an amazing deal on a low mileage 2014 Mercedes because her friend's father died and they did not want it. She got rid of a Lexus GS350 with over 120,000 miles to get the Benz.

Just do your research regarding the typical prices in your area for similar vehicles. Not just checking KBB or Blue Book or Edmunds. Also check Cars.com using advanced search to find similar cars. Know that private party seller prices are always less than dealer prices as there is no warranty.
It all depends on your budget and can you live without all the modern safety features, a crappy backup camera (no lines), crappy Nav system, but overall a nice SUV and probably the most reliable SUV around. I have a 2010 with 72000 and have had no issues except brakes and a battery and the famous leaking rear shocks. Except for the shocks, which are a cheap repair, those are normal wear items.

Take it for a drive.
Old 07-21-19, 05:56 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

First is which generation (styling is very different). Select what you like. Latest model in the group will have the newest bells and whistles and lowest malice but price may be high. Dealing with 2nd/3rd hand go for the features that you really must have [the prior owner has paid the depreciation]. Then check or have it checked by a competent mechanic.

Salim
Old 07-22-19, 05:11 AM
Eponagirl
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your replies! Absolute Max price would be 30k, but in reality, closer to 20k or under (the 2010 might be best price at 13-14k...still not sure if they are selling yet). I'm driving a 2007 Infiniti M35 that was like new at 65k miles when I got it, now it has 103k. It is ok, I need some more space and it needs some muffler parts, some fell off. Before that I've always had Toyota or Honda and am used to a very reliable car. Got spoiled with a nice interior and comfy seat with the Infiniti, but not liking the Infiniti reliability for their newer stuff. Lexus seems a better way to go, especially for longevity. My husband has an ES350. I test drove a 2013 RX350 a few weeks ago, smooth comfy drive! I don't like the new style of the 2016+ years and pretty sure they decreased the cargo space. I actually could use a little more space than the Rx350 provides, but when factoring everything in, the space is workable. I have a couple of dogs (50-60lbs), but usually only travel with one at a time. If a situation came up where I needed to take 2, one could go in the way back and one on the back seat (with proper covers, of course!). What year did the back up camera get better (adding lines?) My Infiniti has that and I've found the lines helpful at times. I've seen some Rx's (2012-15) with 50-60k miles on them...so I shouldn't be afraid of that if I plan on keeping it another 8 years or so (without needing to sink tons of $ into it)? I don't mind some maintenance costs of course. I'm still learning about being confident in getting quality used cars (my Toyota/Hondas were new and driven 150k +/-).
Old 07-22-19, 04:30 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Eponagirl
It is a short commute car and is probably well cared for (they love their cars).
How short? Short drives are generally harder on vehicles.

Thinking if I didn't get the friend's car, would try CPO...is that really better than just general used?
Better is always highly subjective no matter what the topic. If you're willing to pay the premium for L/Certified and you want the warranty and maintenance then it could be a better choice for you. If you're looking for the best possible deal then L/Certified probably isn't better.

I am concerned about getting a 9-10 yr old one vs finding a new version like maybe a 2014, however those might be 40-50K mile vehicles.
I've seen some Rx's (2012-15) with 50-60k miles on them...so I shouldn't be afraid of that if I plan on keeping it another 8 years or so (without needing to sink tons of $ into it)?

While generally you want fewer miles you cannot rely solely on miles to indicate the condition of the vehicle. It is possible for a vehicle with high miles to be in better shape than a vehicle with low miles. Get any vehicle you're seriously considering inspected. Generally speaking, 40-60K is no big deal for an RX as they are very reliable. That said, again, the specific condition of a given vehicle is going to have a significant impact on that.

What year did the back up camera get better (adding lines?)
Definitely after 2015. Ours doesn't have it.

Last edited by takeshi74; 07-22-19 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-23-19, 04:28 AM
Notgrownup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently test drove a 13 with 68k miles for about $20000. It was really clean but I opted for a 15 with 50k miles for slightly higher price. Doesn’t have Nav but I have a huge Garmin that fits in the spot where the nav is and I still can see what I need from the screen. We just put about 3500 miles on it in about 3 weeks and it was flawless.
Old 07-24-19, 08:12 AM
Eponagirl
Driver School Candidate

What is the general opinion on age vs mileage? For example, I see a 2007 Rx350 with 60k miles on it, what is the realistic longevity of this if well cared for? My current car is 2007, but I'm worried about the effect of aging, rusting, etc...(The muffler and other random small parts have fallen off my Infiniti, part of the reason I'm looking to replace). I'm inclined to get 2012-2015 RX350 for various other reasons, but just exploring outside the box (for me) ideas too. Probably getting '13'-15 at the lowest miles I can find/afford is the "sweet spot" for age and mileage....but...how long could one expect a 2007 Lexus Rx to hold up well?

Edited to add: I know each vehicle has it's own history and the answer will be "it depends", but with "all things being equal" (they aren't), what is reasonable to expect?

Last edited by Eponagirl; 07-24-19 at 08:14 AM. Reason: add info
Old 07-24-19, 08:21 AM
LS1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

13-15 with the face lift and nicer looking steering wheel all day. No brainier to me. Besides that mechanically they are generally the same. Excluding the F sport with the 8 speed.

Had a 07 RX before I got into my 15 F sport. Great car only issue i ever had was the oil cooler line blowing off while driving. . Had to have it towed back to my garage to fix it.

Also lowest mileage isn't everything. Ive bought some low mileage older cars that were complete disasters. Every other week in my garage being worked on. And Ive bought a few higher mileage 120-130k that were amazing cars ran up some mileage on them with very minor repair work. Sometimes theres no "sweet spot". Now that I dont like to work on my every day cars ( I save my hours in the garage for the older toys) I generally stick with something within 5 years old. The likely hood of having a major repair is very un likely lol.
Old 07-29-19, 10:37 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

In the fall of 2016 I bought a 2010 RX450h (hybrid) from the Lexus dealer in Portland Oregon for $25K. Now, 2 1/2 years later, very happy with the car.

(1) I dislike the "spindle" look of later models. The 2010-12 RX has a very classy front end.

(2) Dealer gave me a 2-year warranty, which was great, because they replaced the 12v battery ($250) and the rear lift struts ($200), and a biggie, the braking actuator that had begun making "barking seal" noises, a well-known and expensive issue with Lexus cars ($2,500). So the dealer warranty was very valuable to me.

The car in general has an excellent reliability reputation, definitely in the very top tier of all cars.

Last edited by riredale; 10-10-19 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 11:45 AM
Eponagirl
Driver School Candidate

Default question on oil leaking issue?

When I looked up potential issues on Repairpal.com, a major issue came up for the RX350 where an oil line leaks and drains the oil out of the car, potentially causing serious damage depending on when/where this happens. Has anyone heard of this or dealt with it?

Edited to add: I'm still looking and am getting closer to figuring out exactly what I want

Last edited by Eponagirl; 08-02-19 at 11:46 AM. Reason: adding comment
Old 08-02-19, 01:05 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 431 Likes on 345 Posts

Are you talking engine oil or transmission oil (ATF)? I do not remember reading anything about any oil line being a potential weak spot on these 3rd generation RX models.

But I have read that leaking rear shocks in the pre-2013 RX models were a problem. It seems to have been resolved by the 2013 model year.
Old 08-02-19, 01:26 PM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

There was a problem with rubber oil cooler hose failing, but I think there was a recall to fix it.

Check this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ne-recall.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...extension.html
Old 08-02-19, 02:00 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The oil line that had problems was only on those vehicles with the tow package and extra engine oil cooler. There was no recall in the US (but Canada got a recall) instead the US got an extended warranty. However it is practically guaranteed that if the line ruptures while driving that you will have engine failure as all your oil pumps out so fast that when the oil light comes on it is too late! So if you have that rubber line, replace it ASAP. The part is under $100 and the labor time less than 2 hours. Any independent Toyota shop can do this as the Venza, Sienna and Highlander had the same problem.
Old 08-02-19, 02:23 PM
Eponagirl
Driver School Candidate

Clutchless, Non, that's what I was looking for! Thanks for explaining...makes me feel better about asking the right questions when I go to purchase one.

Quick Reply: Looking to get an RX350, which year is recommended?