RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rare RX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-19, 05:58 PM
RxLex2015
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rare RX?

Hello all. I’m considering buying a 2015 RX350. AWD. What are some of the rarer options for these cars and how Important are options such as HUD, ML sound system, adaptive cruise control, semi-aniline leather, heated steering wheel etc.
Old 07-25-19, 07:12 PM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

Good thing is you get to pay a discounted price for the options but if you strictly focus on them your selection pool becomes very small. I would suggest start by listing must have for yourself and don't forget the exterior and interior colors and most important of all is the mechanical condition.

All the extras you listed are nice to have. Check out each and see how important they are to you. ML is a great sound system but due to cabin acoustics it is not as good as it sounds in sedans. For most purchasers (new and used) there final drive out price trumps all other items. In used market the odd reading makes a substantial difference.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 07-27-19 at 10:45 PM. Reason: odd -> odo dang! the autocorrect bit me again
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (03-23-20)
Old 07-26-19, 12:46 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RxLex2015
Hello all. I’m considering buying a 2015 RX350. AWD. What are some of the rarer options for these cars and how Important are options such as HUD, ML sound system, adaptive cruise control, semi-aniline leather, heated steering wheel etc.
The importance of these features are entirely your call but my opinion is that the two most important features by far are Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (i.e. adaptive cruise control) and Pre-Collision System (i.e. automatic emergency braking). We no long own and will not buy vehicles without these features and we will not rent vehicles that don't have them.

The 2015 RX sales brochure shows all available features and can be viewed at http://www.auto-brochures.com/lexus.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Kansas:
Montanaman (01-13-24), Seabone726 (03-23-20)
Old 07-27-19, 04:30 PM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Ya, good luck. The ONLY and I mean ONLY RX350 I have seen with all the bells and whistles is some guy in this forum who bought Frank Sinatra's Jr RX350 It even had the DVD info system in the back.

I looked across the big ole US and never found one. No adaptive cruise, no ML system, no HUD. Your mileage might differ. The most common extars seem to be at least for the 2013 I have;

- 3T Cross Bars Port

- CP Comfort Pkg: Xenon HID Headlamps, Rain-sensing and Driver/Passenger Heated
& Ventilated Seats
Factory

- D7 Courtesy Delivery Sticker Port (this one is really nothing)

- EK 12-spkr Premium Audio Pkg: Single DVD/CD Player, HD Radio w/iTunes tagging &
12-spkr Audio Sys Factory

- FT 19" Aluminum Alloy Wheels with All-Season Tires Factory

- NV Navigation System w/Voice Command, Backup Camera Lexus Enform screen
multimedia display & Lexus Enform with Destination Assist and eDestination, App
Suite, SiriusXM NavTrafc, NavWeather, Stocks Sports & Fuel prices (1-year trial
subscription included) Factory

- PA Intuitive Parking Assist Factory

- PD Premium Package w/Blind Spot Monitor System: Leather Trim Interior, Blind Spot
Monitor System, One-Touch Open/Close Moonroof, Power-folding
Electrochromic Heated Outside Mirrors, Driver's Seat/Steering/Mirror
Memory-3 settings, Roof Rails

- FactoryTO Towing Prep Pkg: Transmission Cooler, Heavy Duty Alternator/Radiator (does not
include ball mount) Factory

WU Wood & Leather Trimmed Steering Wheel & Shift **** Factory
Seabone726 (03-23-20)
Old 07-27-19, 06:03 PM
RxLex2015
10th Gear

Thanks so much everyone! So on Thursday night I found what I believe to be a third gen unicorn. I bought a 2015 RX350 AWD (Black/Black) with 8898 miles and the following noteworthy options:

3T cross bars.
CP comfort package.
GF heads up display.
JC accessory connector (120v).
KG key gloves.
LL luxury package (semi aniline, power folding mirrors, heated steering wheel and shifter ****, headlamp washers, 19” wheels, BSM, illuminated door sills, driver seat/steering wheel and mirror memory, one touch moonroof, etc).
ML Mark Levinson premium surround sound.
NV navigation.
PA intuitive park assist.
PS pre collision and pre brake w/Radar adaptive cruise control.
TO towing prep package with HD alternator and radiator.

I spoke to a representative at Lexus and she told me it was a special order car. She said that she hadn’t seen another 2015 RX equipped like this one in her recollection. So from everything I can gather it seems like I bought a rare third gen RX!! Very excited!

Let me know what you all think!

Last edited by RxLex2015; 07-27-19 at 06:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RxLex2015:
BrettKA7 (07-28-19), Seabone726 (03-23-20)
Old 07-27-19, 10:52 PM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

Congratulations.
Such low milage worries me.
Also check the year of manufacture of tires. You may have plenty of treads, but the suggested life may be over.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 07-30-19 at 10:53 PM. Reason: spell errors Also & Tires
Old 07-28-19, 09:38 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I salute your persistence in finding the car you wanted. Hooray!
Seabone726 (03-23-20)
Old 07-30-19, 08:17 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RxLex2015
I spoke to a representative at Lexus and she told me it was a special order car. She said that she hadn’t seen another 2015 RX equipped like this one in her recollection. So from everything I can gather it seems like I bought a rare third gen RX!! Very excited!

Let me know what you all think!
Was this originally a California car? I've long noticed that dealers of many vehicle brands in California are much more likely to order very highly optioned vehicles on speculation than dealerships in other areas of the U.S. Prior to PCS and DRCC being packaged in the Lexus Safety System which became a standard feature on the RX for 2017 or 2018, not many people went to the trouble of special ordering PCS and DRCC and then waiting up to several months for their RX to arrive from the factory.

Except for color, your RX is EXACTLY the configuration I attempted to find in dealer inventory in March, 2014. The only new hatchback Lexus with PCS and DRCC the dealer salesman (said he) could find in the only color I wanted (white, of course) was a CT200h although I don't know if he really spent much time looking.

The low odometer reading is unusual for a vehicle that is four model years old but some cars just aren't used much. My wife drives "her" car less than 2,000 miles per year and has never worn out a set of tires which have always been replaced due to age.

Congratulations on finding the perfect gen 3 RX.
Old 08-07-19, 06:48 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Interesting to see "BSM" in the instrument cluster.

Australian spec 3rd Gen RX do not come with Blind Spot Monitor, not even the top shelf spec model (called the Sport Luxury)

Congrats on the find!
Old 08-07-19, 10:22 AM
RxLex2015
10th Gear

Thanks so much! I love this car it’s so comfortable and elegant. All of the bells and whistles make it feel special to me

Originally Posted by raylor4
I salute your persistence in finding the car you wanted. Hooray!
Seabone726 (03-23-20)
Old 08-07-19, 10:26 AM
RxLex2015
10th Gear

Thanks man! It’s interesting how they make regional/geographical changes to have the car fit the specific market and meet DOT requirements to be sold in whatever country.

Originally Posted by tempestv8
Interesting to see "BSM" in the instrument cluster.

Australian spec 3rd Gen RX do not come with Blind Spot Monitor, not even the top shelf spec model (called the Sport Luxury)

Congrats on the find!
Old 08-07-19, 11:39 AM
RxLex2015
10th Gear

Thanks man! Yeah it is an original Southern California car. It was ordered at a Lexus dealer in San Diego and spent the first 4 years of its life in San Diego until I brought it back to LA with me 2 weeks ago.
I was told by Lexus that a customer special ordered it. I have monitored the market looking for a RX equipped like this and basically I haven’t seen another one pop up with these options in over 1 year of looking...

Originally Posted by Kansas
Was this originally a California car? I've long noticed that dealers of many vehicle brands in California are much more likely to order very highly optioned vehicles on speculation than dealerships in other areas of the U.S. Prior to PCS and DRCC being packaged in the Lexus Safety System which became a standard feature on the RX for 2017 or 2018, not many people went to the trouble of special ordering PCS and DRCC and then waiting up to several months for their RX to arrive from the factory.

Except for color, your RX is EXACTLY the configuration I attempted to find in dealer inventory in March, 2014. The only new hatchback Lexus with PCS and DRCC the dealer salesman (said he) could find in the only color I wanted (white, of course) was a CT200h although I don't know if he really spent much time looking.

The low odometer reading is unusual for a vehicle that is four model years old but some cars just aren't used much. My wife drives "her" car less than 2,000 miles per year and has never worn out a set of tires which have always been replaced due to age.

Congratulations on finding the perfect gen 3 RX.
Seabone726 (03-23-20)