RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Replace \updating Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-19, 04:24 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 431 Likes on 345 Posts

Pep Boys is running a 25% off sale on Champion AGM batteries on their website right now. I purchased one last Thursday for my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R. It was built by Johnson Controls and comes with a 4-year free replacement warranty..
Old 08-19-19, 10:21 AM
LS1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What does it add that the stock unit does not have? Seems like very minimal gains from the videos. Mainly its just a bigger screen?
Old 08-19-19, 10:40 AM
Young0ne
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so it still keeps the original interface with android added to it. You can add Carplay /Android Auto with dongle,add a Aftermarket backup camera to get dynamic lines with steering,or multiple cameras. So for about a 1000 if you had someone install it or cheaper if you don't . Its a great tech up grade

carplay

backup camera need camera

Last edited by Young0ne; 08-19-19 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-19-19, 04:51 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems you may have purchased a battery already, however if not and if you have a Costco near you(maybe Sams too), they(Costco) did a solid on my last purchase with a awesome warranty and at half the price of dealer etc...though i did the install myself.
Unit looks very very nice indeed...and yes, always disconnect + when doing any work...saves a lot of headaches and some $$...but glad you got it to work and at the price point not bad...
so are the volume and such controls still functioning and displaying on this screen in a similar manner as your stock unit, does siri free eys still work etc, does the stock camera not work with this set up i take it? a better question - what are the missing functions from stock vs this unit...and was your car equipped with Navi?
either way cool set up and looks good!
Old 08-19-19, 06:00 PM
Young0ne
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregmikki
It seems you may have purchased a battery already, however if not and if you have a Costco near you(maybe Sams too), they(Costco) did a solid on my last purchase with a awesome warranty and at half the price of dealer etc...though i did the install myself.
Unit looks very very nice indeed...and yes, always disconnect + when doing any work...saves a lot of headaches and some $$...but glad you got it to work and at the price point not bad...
so are the volume and such controls still functioning and displaying on this screen in a similar manner as your stock unit, does siri free eys still work etc, does the stock camera not work with this set up i take it? a better question - what are the missing functions from stock vs this unit...and was your car equipped with Navi?
either way cool set up and looks good!
yes I did replace the battery I bought a everstart amg for 140.
So far no voltage drop everything is working fine. I’m talking to seller support about few issues that hopefully can be fixed by software update. A write will happen soon.
Old 08-20-19, 12:07 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

so this^^ is the before shot right......
Old 08-21-19, 06:23 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Young0ne
so it still keeps the original interface with android added to it. You can add Carplay /Android Auto with dongle,add a Aftermarket backup camera to get dynamic lines with steering,or multiple cameras. So for about a 1000 if you had someone install it or cheaper if you don't . Its a great tech up grade

carplay

backup camera need camera

Looks great, congrats!! let us know your impressions of the interface, is it laggy?, slow, is the functionality of the joystick still ok to use?
Also, from the last picture it shows an Aerial view? lol, you did not install cameras all around right? or did you....
Thanks, looking forward to this... I might just get it.
Old 08-22-19, 04:19 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by gregmikki
and yes, always disconnect + when doing any work...!
It is preferred that you disconnect the negative terminal.

To OP. That unit looks pretty good. Thanks for the write up!
Old 08-27-19, 04:04 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Yevhen350
Hello! Finally I installed the head unit.
Now it looks like the panel of my car.

I really like how it makes your RX look like a 4th gen.
The following users liked this post:
lexuscanuk (08-27-19)
Old 08-28-19, 06:48 PM
lexuspleus
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In my 2014 with the nav system, the A/C compressor can only be controlled through the nav system interface's climate page. Does this Android replacement allow the AC compressor to be turned on/off or is that functionality lost? In post #5 there is a video for the IS, and it seems like it exposes the AC compressor on/off function, wondering if it works on the RX too.
Old 08-29-19, 12:17 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuspleus
In my 2014 with the nav system, the A/C compressor can only be controlled through the nav system interface's climate page. Does this Android replacement allow the AC compressor to be turned on/off or is that functionality lost? In post #5 there is a video for the IS, and it seems like it exposes the AC compressor on/off function, wondering if it works on the RX too.
same on my wifes 2015, so would be good to know...when i drive it, i usually turn on and off like old school cars, as thats just my habit on all my cars, but some reading mentioning that it isnt necessary due to set up upon starting and minimal issues and impact to system etc...my wife just leaves it on...