RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Replace \updating Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-19, 08:41 PM
Young0ne
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace \updating Head Unit

Hey everyone

Im new to this forum I just Bought a new to me used 2013 RX350. I must say this is an awesome forum one of the best I've seen by far!!!!.

so let me get to it
I want to update\replace the head unit, bring the RX update a lil bit with a few aftermarket safety features I'm trying to decide which I should do. So i posted two links of the system that i want to go with and I want some advice on what y'all think.
this is a (new head unit) plug N play
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32961024859.html ( I have a chat with them if yall wanna see it let me know)

This is the (update software box ) Plug N Play
https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...n-upgrade.html
Old 07-31-19, 03:49 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Very curious how it works out if you pull the trigger on the first one. It is very cool that they made a larger screen that fits in the same spot as the OEM.

Please keep everyone update on what you decide to do.
Old 07-31-19, 04:00 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Haven't heard anything about it the first one. You might want to search around. Here's something I found with a very quick search:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...al-buyers.html

There are some threads on the Grom as well -- not just in this subforum but in the other model subforums as well that you might want to look at.

Last edited by takeshi74; 07-31-19 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-31-19, 05:11 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

And if it does not work correctly you will have diminished the value of your vehicle and possibly wrecked any chances of reselling it unless the original unit is put back in.
Unless you are doing your own labor for this experiment, I suspect you will spend so much that you may as well trade in the RX for a different vehicle with a more modern infotainment system.
Old 07-31-19, 06:10 PM
Young0ne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by takeshi74
Haven't heard anything about it the first one. You might want to search around. Here's something I found with a very quick search:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...al-buyers.html

There are some threads on the Grom as well -- not just in this subforum but in the other model subforums as well that you might want to look at.
From reading what the user was experiencing, I believe i saw his review on ALIexpress . I know some of his complaints are valid I've heard about the software issues and that whats worries me the most . I know he has a way newer model than me , so there is a big risk on his part.I wouldn't personally on a new car like that go that route but that's just me. Now I also chatting with a guy on youtube who has it on his 2014 IS and I'm sure tech is closely the same , waiting on him to tell me how has it been for him since he got about 10 months ago.

here is his video
update video

Last edited by Young0ne; 07-31-19 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-31-19, 06:20 PM
Young0ne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
And if it does not work correctly you will have diminished the value of your vehicle and possibly wrecked any chances of reselling it unless the original unit is put back in.
Unless you are doing your own labor for this experiment, I suspect you will spend so much that you may as well trade in the RX for a different vehicle with a more modern infotainment system.
Yeah I will be doing this my self its pretty much plug and play, now if i was cutting wires that might be different story. Also I was told it was a duel unit meaning I will still have the factory software and android (bonus I guess).
as far a trading it in I'm only about to put a 1000 to this little project . I don't think it will cost 10's of thousands. ill just put everything back as it was, I don't think value will drop as long as there is no damage and everything is back stock.
Old 08-01-19, 01:58 AM
Young0ne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stoodo
Very curious how it works out if you pull the trigger on the first one. It is very cool that they made a larger screen that fits in the same spot as the OEM.

Please keep everyone update on what you decide to do.
so I went ahead a bought the first one see how it works out
paid 730 with the AA/CP dongle

ill be doing blow by blow when i get it
Old 08-03-19, 07:46 AM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ Awesome man! keep us posted as it would definitely be a possibility on my '15 as well, for the first set up anyway...i have an infiniti and a few posters on the forum tried the
Grom and had mixed results...so not sure if will be different on the Lexus etc...either way, keep us posted and good luck !
Old 08-13-19, 12:49 PM
Young0ne
Driver School Candidate

Default The product has arrived

Hey guys wanna give you an update the system came in today. I can’t wait to get this installed, I have to work tonight I will try to install it tomorrow or Thursday. I'll try to do the best to give a breakdown of the install and how easy it's going to be. For my first impression of the unit in hand, this unit feels solid like really good quality. I can’t wait to see how this is going to go, Also I bought this this kit on amazon to help me take this thing apart if you want the link let me know it was like 20 bucks.

Last edited by Young0ne; 08-13-19 at 07:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KMB (08-15-19)
Old 08-14-19, 07:49 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

awesome! please keep us posted.
Old 08-14-19, 08:38 AM
Elofeye
Driver

Looking forward to a breakdown of the installation!
Old 08-17-19, 09:45 PM
Mikes94GS3
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Patiently waiting for an update on this one here.....!
Old 08-17-19, 11:01 PM
Young0ne
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Hey Guys wanna give you an update I do have it installed but i ran into some issues.
1. The install instruction that the people give me are not accurate to a point. I went to far when i didn't have to so I'll help with that ( I promise the install is very easy once proper direction is given)
2. (Self inflicted) blown a fuse for not disconnecting the battery stupid me LOL added hours to install.
3. My battery seem likes its dying because i didn't disconnect battery during install . (Im currently investigating to see if the head unit caused it as we speak). when the car is not cranked volts show 10.5 but when cranked it shows 13.5-13.6. now seem like battery not hold charge ill find out soon.

good things
1 hardware is good
2.software is better than lexus but can still improve
3 carplay and android auto with dongle works OK but audio needs some work
4 you can get Aftermarket BU camera and get Dynamic grids lines with steering input
Old 08-17-19, 11:15 PM
Young0ne
Driver School Candidate

ok so i put my orignal screen back in and let the car run for 20 mins. The battery showed 10.6V when car is turned off and 13.5-13.6v when on . So I believe I killed the battery when I didn't disconnected and had doors open.(side note I did buy a battery charger and charged it to full and it drained quickly) so i need to replace it at the Lexus dealer or I may get a different one. Let me know what you think i should do?
Old 08-18-19, 05:36 PM
Elofeye
Driver

Originally Posted by Young0ne
ok so i put my orignal screen back in and let the car run for 20 mins. The battery showed 10.6V when car is turned off and 13.5-13.6v when on . So I believe I killed the battery when I didn't disconnected and had doors open.(side note I did buy a battery charger and charged it to full and it drained quickly) so i need to replace it at the Lexus dealer or I may get a different one. Let me know what you think i should do?

You don’t need to go to a Lexus dealer for a new battery. You will pay way too much money. Many auto parts stores like autozone will test your battery for free. You will save a lot of money not buying a battery from a dealer. Most car batteries are made from Johnson Controlls or Exide under different labels.

Quick Reply: Replace \updating Head Unit