RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Waze instructions through audio system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-19, 06:00 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Waze instructions through audio system?

Okay, i know i'm going to sound like an old man( which i may be) and to avoid embarrassment i would ask my boys but all 3 are away for the weekend. SO, how can i play waze gps through the speakers of the Rx? I don't understand. A phone call comes through the audio system but when i give waze a destination the instructions come through the phone only! will this not work the way i want it to? Do i need to plug the phone into the USB?

Thanks,
Frustrated Old Man
Old 08-05-19, 08:46 AM
tom93r1
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have to switch the audio system to "bluetooth audio", since WAZE isn't a supported app on the system you have to play it like it's just another audio source.
Old 08-05-19, 08:58 AM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

As tom93r1 said, the RX audio system needs to be set to "bluetooth audio" as its source. Obviously the car and the phone also have to be blue-tooth paired and connected. You will not be able to listen to cd's, the radio or any of that since you need the audio source to be coming from your phone.
Old 08-05-19, 10:45 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

The Waze app settings for Voice and sound have three (3) choices (iPhones):

Device default plays to car speakers if paired to a car and the car is set to play phone sounds
Limitation with this is that you must be listening to iTunes or streaming App source, not AM,FM,XM,CD's

Play on phone speaker plays warnings and directions to the phones speakers only.
OK if your car is quiet enough...

Play as Bluetooth phone call. How does your car stereo respond to a phone call?
Mutes the radio and speaks the instructions!
The following users liked this post:
Elofeye (08-14-19)
Old 08-06-19, 12:40 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Thanks guys.Well, i posted this only an hour or so before i left on our 8hr road trip and so i didn't get any responses before i left in a rush. However , here's what i did/accomplished:

I ran a cable from the USB port and used the aux input. Waze worked great and came in over the car speakers. Only problem was that i was limited to whatever tunes i had on my iPhone and , thankfully, we had about three hours worth.
I'm not sure if one of you is suggesting that i could do this wirelessly . Via the bluetooth tab?
If nothing else , i have to hand it to these Waze guys. This app is very impressive: police spotting, potholes, etc. Quite accurate.I'm not one to like add-ons on my dash and wrestled with getting the Lexus overpriced and not up to date GPS update but i think i will listen to what others have said on this forum for a while and use my phone. I'll just have to load more music onto the phone.
The only way around this that i see right now is to switch back and forth from FM/SAT to AUX when need directions.

Thanks again.
Old 08-06-19, 06:21 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

You could use any radio streaming app for music, news, and talk.

I like TuneIn app, it lets you listen to most radio statins in the world.

So connect via Bluetooth for convenience and get a streaming app!
Old 08-06-19, 08:59 AM
tom93r1
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time you are using Waze for navigation I recommend you try setting the voice to "Cookie Monster".
mcomer (08-07-19)
Old 08-07-19, 04:48 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Originally Posted by tom93r1
Next time you are using Waze for navigation I recommend you try setting the voice to "Cookie Monster".

I'm like you. I prefer Barney.

I'll try the Tunedin app but form what i'm seeing Waze might only work with something directly on my phone but it's worth a shot. Thanks!
Old 08-09-19, 10:12 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I have the Boy Band...too funny!

Last edited by mandyfig; 08-14-19 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-13-19, 01:09 PM
Elofeye
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daddiojigg

The only way around this that i see right now is to switch back and forth from FM/SAT to AUX when need directions.

Thanks again.

The post above you from mcomer should have your fix by using it as a bluetooth phone call.
Old 08-14-19, 08:20 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Elofeye
The post above you from mcomer should have your fix by using it as a bluetooth phone call.

Device default plays to car speakers if paired to a car and the car is set to play phone sounds
Limitation with this is that you must be listening to iTunes or streaming App source, not AM,FM,XM,CD's

Ya, not sure what he meant by being paired to bluetooth and streaming( remember, I"m old(ish)).I thought i was connected via the usb port and using the AUX tab. Maybe i was using bluetooth all along? I'm form the great white north and if I was to stream in the U.S i think my cell provider would have me over a barrel with extra charges, so i think loading up the iTunes is my only way. Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks all.
Old 08-14-19, 08:37 AM
Elofeye
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daddiojigg

Ya, not sure what he meant by being paired to bluetooth and streaming( remember, I"m old(ish)).I thought i was connected via the usb port and using the AUX tab. Maybe i was using bluetooth all along? I'm form the great white north and if I was to stream in the U.S i think my cell provider would have me over a barrel with extra charges, so i think loading up the iTunes is my only way. Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks all.

In your first post you stated that "A phone call comes through the audio system but when i give waze a destination the instructions come through the phone only!" When your phone call comes through the audio, you are paired to the system using bluetooth. You do not need to be connected to a USB or AUX to use bluetooth. Bluetooth transmits data via low-power radio waves.
You need to go to settings in your waze app to make it "play as bluetooth phone call". After reading the post from mcomer, I tried it and it does work! I listen to FM and then tried Sirius XM and Waze would mute the radio and speak the directions then go right back to the radio.
daddiojigg (08-15-19)