RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

OBDII Scanner Decision

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-19, 07:14 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts
Default OBDII Scanner Decision

The basic 4-year/50,000-mile warranty on my wife's 2015 RX350 ended last week. I did a bit of research this week and decided to order the iCarsoft TYT V1.0 OBDII scanner. Best price I found for a new one was $109.95 with free shipping from amazon.com (with a full return policy if I am not satisfied with it). Once I receive it and have some time to play with it, I will report back on whether or not I am impressed enough with it to keep it.

I have the appropriate iCarsoft scanners for my wife's 2006 Jaguar XK8 and my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R. Both of them have saved me far more money by accurately diagnosing various issues than I paid for them.

Last edited by RX in NC; 09-08-19 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-07-19, 02:20 PM
BBAS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having difficulty finding this item at that price on amazon. Would you be able to provide a link please?
Old 09-08-19, 04:18 AM
RX in NC
Racer

The seller on amazon is iCarzone Inc. Go to the amazon website, type "iCarsoft TYT V1.0 OBDII scanner" into the search box, and you should be able to find it if there are any left. There is always a chance that I purchased the last one available.
Old 09-08-19, 07:40 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RX in NC
The seller on amazon is iCarzone Inc. Go to the amazon website, type "iCarsoft TYT V1.0 OBDII scanner" into the search box, and you should be able to find it if there are any left. There is always a chance that I purchased the last one available.
Check out the Carista on Amazon also.
Old 09-11-19, 07:16 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Update:

My iCarsoft TYT V1.0 scan tool arrived last evening and I had a chance to test it in the 2015 RX350 this morning. The operation appears to be quite satisfactory thus far. The TYT V1.0 has been able to scan and report on more than 30 different modules thus far. It found only one OBDII code, a historical code pertaining to previous starting issues. This makes perfect sense because I know that the factory battery failed and had to be replaced by Lexus in February 2018 while the vehicle was still covered by the factory warranty and in the possession of its original owner. I erased the historical code and all systems are now showing as completely clear. I have not attempted to use any of the Live Data features and functions yet. I hope to do so when I have more time to drive the vehicle on the highway with the scan tool hooked up.

This particular iCarsoft scan tool can do more than the iCarsoft scan tools for my wife's 2006 Jaguar XK8 (from February 2016, I paid about $125, and it scans about 10 different modules) and my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R (from May 2018, I paid about $115, and it scans about 15 different modules). So iCarsoft is definitely improving their products with each new version. If you opt to order one, just be sure that the vendor's return policy meets your needs in the event that you are not happy with it. I also recommend sending an e-mail to iCarsoft to inquire as to whether the scan tool you are considering is indeed programmed to communicate with and diagnose your specific vehicle. I did so each time before ordering any of my three current iCarsoft devices.

Be aware that iCarsoft's tech support is essentially nonexistent. There is no phone number so you can only contact them via e-mail, and the folks who respond to e-mails are in marketing, not tech support. The good news is that these scan tools are very intuitive so if you follow the prompts on the screen you will probably figure out your issue fairly quickly. I did not even bother to read the user's manual that came with this TVT V1.0 unit even though it is a somewhat different design compared to my two older iCarsoft scan tools.

My verdict thus far is that this $110 purchase will turn out to be money well spent for me. Your mileage may vary so check that return policy before you decide to order one. Best of luck.
Old 09-12-19, 06:41 AM
LS1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an Autel Maxikom tablet. Its a bit much for the average Joe but I do a lot of work on families cars and my old heap piles. Live data and being able to bleed ABS systems remotely from the tablet and running self tests, cant beat it. Also can program keys. Worth every penny so far
Old 09-16-19, 12:20 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are they vehicle specific or more of common tool for Japanese, European, N. American vehicles?
Thanks
Old 09-17-19, 10:23 AM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by heshamos
Are they vehicle specific or more of common tool for Japanese, European, N. American vehicles?
Thanks
Protocol for basic [emission related functions] are standard. It is then up to vehicle manufacturer to add more or separate ports for other control modules. Toyota/Lexus uses Techstream. Scanner manufacturer keep trying to add the features to encompass as many functions various vehicle manufacturers have available through the port .. like brakes etc.

Example: Techstream allows to set owner/service options while the latest and greatest OBDII scanner may not be able to.

Summary: If Toyo/Lex is what you own then opt for Techstream. I have heard of folks who have an old laptop with extremely old OS dedicated for this purpose.

Salim
Old 09-17-19, 11:14 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Protocol for basic [emission related functions] are standard. It is then up to vehicle manufacturer to add more or separate ports for other control modules. Toyota/Lexus uses Techstream. Scanner manufacturer keep trying to add the features to encompass as many functions various vehicle manufacturers have available through the port .. like brakes etc.

Example: Techstream allows to set owner/service options while the latest and greatest OBDII scanner may not be able to.

Summary: If Toyo/Lex is what you own then opt for Techstream. I have heard of folks who have an old laptop with extremely old OS dedicated for this purpose.

Salim
Would that mean adopting Techstream won't work on a newer hardware?
Old 09-17-19, 12:28 PM
RX in NC
Racer

The limitation is usually the software, not the hardware. For instance, my Jaguar JTIS workshop manual CD (released in 2005) will not run on any operating system newer than Windows 7. I purchased an old Dell laptop off ebay for $35 exclusively to run this CD on.
Old 09-19-19, 11:02 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I have kept my Daughter's College Laptop for this reason, to run Techstream. Has Windows Vista on it.
Old 09-19-19, 11:38 AM
RX in NC
Racer

How did you acquire a copy of Techstream? And is it on a CD?
Old 09-19-19, 12:27 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Yup on a CD. Techstream. Amazon...eons ago some were being sold and they were crap. Do not know nowadays.
Old 09-28-19, 10:32 AM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I recently bought the ThinkCar OBD2 scanner (recent Kickstarter). Supposedly it does more. They even got Scotty Kilmore's endorsement (wondering how much he got paid).
Old 10-04-19, 08:35 PM
mikemac52
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlgoTrader
I recently bought the ThinkCar OBD2 scanner (recent Kickstarter). Supposedly it does more. They even got Scotty Kilmore's endorsement (wondering how much he got paid).
Thinking about a purchase of the ThinkCar 1S also. Let us know what you think after you've tried it. I came to this thread hoping someone had given it a go.

Quick Reply: OBDII Scanner Decision