RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX350 - Want to change useless fog lights for pencil-beam driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 01:36 AM
FJ40RX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 RX350 - Want to change useless fog lights for pencil-beam driving lights

I want to change out the useless "fog lights" and install some Hella or KC or PIAA pencil beam driving lights in the same spot. Often on deserted roads with plenty of livestock running around. Had Hella FF75's on a previous vehicle, and loved them, but there doesn't seem to be a small round Hella version of these. Was maybe thinking PIAA LP530's but they don't seem worth the price.
Alternatively, I'd just mount some Hella FF75s somewhere on the front, but just can't find a good place for them.
So...
1) Anyone have any experience mounting good pencil beam driving lights in place of the RX350 fog lights? Any suggestions?
2) Anyone have suggestions for mounting any pencil beam driving lights anywhere else on this model that would look nice?
Old 09-22-19, 08:55 AM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

It seems your needs are diametrically opposite to what the intent of fog lights is and I can understand that fog lights do not cut it for you.

As you consider keep the following in mind:
1. There are state laws regarding lighting and if you add what are termed as "off road" lights, you can not legally drive on public streets with those turned on. [the laws are pretty explicit about number of light sources as at night other driver make assumption about 1 vehicles or two based on light sources].

2. You can make use of the location of fog lights [fitment issues may still be there], but the electrical connector may not work as the fog light turn on circuit logic is coupled to the high beam.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Kansas (09-23-19)
Old 09-22-19, 09:00 PM
FJ40RX350
Driver School Candidate

What I'm looking for is recommendations or advice (and hopefully a picture) from anyone who has either:
1) replaced the fog lights with driving lights - looking for models of driving lights that were easily mounted in the stock or modified bezel/mount
2) just added additional driving lights somewhere (including a bull-bar or something) - looking for models of lights (and the bull-bar if used) and mounting suggestions that were visually pleasing
Old 09-23-19, 12:37 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

I wonder if an LED light bar could be mounted in the lower air intake in the bumper. They're available in a variety of sizes and beam patterns. The way I would do it would be to power the light bar from an aftermarket automotive relay, power the relay from the vehicle battery, trigger the relay from the RX high beam headlight positive wire, but run the relay trigger wire through a dash mounted on/off switch. It would be good if the dash mounted switch had a bright "telltale" to remind you when the light bar is on.

The light bar would illuminate only when you use your high beam headlights and only when the dash mounted switch you install is in the ON position. The light bar might even look decent.

LED light bars can be dangerous to other drivers if one is not careful to turn them off in time. Some of the people I've encountered using light bars on public roads appear to have using them like weapons.

I've encountered my share of livestock and wildlife on rural roads at night including driving across open range at night in Wyoming. I've been lucky that the only deer I've hit in 50+ years of driving were already dead but their carcasses still did significant damage.
Old 09-26-19, 10:42 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

The lower part of the bumper has that plastic trim, I want to cut openings in it and mount the lights there. I think I will need to fabricate brackets for them.
I want some narrow beam long range lights to spot deer in the dark.
Old 09-26-19, 01:54 PM
alisher
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by FJ40RX350
What I'm looking for is recommendations or advice (and hopefully a picture) from anyone who has either:
1) replaced the fog lights with driving lights - looking for models of driving lights that were easily mounted in the stock or modified bezel/mount
2) just added additional driving lights somewhere (including a bull-bar or something) - looking for models of lights (and the bull-bar if used) and mounting suggestions that were visually pleasing
Is this what you asking about? (in 1st and 2nd attachment).
IMHO, if you need wider light nothing can beat OEM LED fog lights. I noticed much wider curbside illumination after swap (3rd attach).

Also, if your car is 2010 - may be you should try to change low beams? I did that on my 2013 with OSRAM Night Breaker and it was huge difference - xenon usually becomes weaker after few years of use.

Old 07-28-20, 09:43 AM
FJ40RX350
Driver School Candidate

Those fog light replacement bezels look nice. I like the running light part of them. What brand/model are those?
I'm specifically looking for melt your retinas narrower, pencil beams for when i'm out in livestock country.