RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 transfer case gear oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-19, 12:40 PM
Mwolfe
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 transfer case gear oil leak

So we just bought this new to us 2010 AWD RX350. It is leaking gear oil out of the passenger output shaft of the transfer case. Was hoping it was only a failed seal, as everything else around it is dry. New seal installed and it worked for about 3 days and now its leaking worse than before. Smoking gear oil off exhaust.
Is there something internally that could be causing this inside the transfer case?
I'm fearing the worst here. I bought this car hoping for a trouble free vehicle for my wife and now this a week into ownership, and of course as is, no warranty.
For some reason it has 2 new cv axles and a 9/2014 built transfer case. So for some reason this car has had issues in this area. Just kinda shocked that a Lexus could be about to go onto its 3rd transfer case already. Any suggestions?
Old 10-13-19, 05:31 PM
lexuspleus
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that. There's a couple mech's here who I'm sure can point you in the right directions..... but hope you don't mind me asking some questions out of curiousity and which may help you get to an answer quicker:

-Are we talking about the transfer case or the rear diff?

-Who replaced the seal? A Toyota dealer?

Just an amateur W.A.G. based on my work on ATV diff cases.... the new seal wasn't fitted properly.
The following users liked this post:
Mwolfe (10-13-19)
Old 10-13-19, 05:39 PM
Mwolfe
10th Gear

It would be the front transfer case giving me the troubles. I had an independent repair shop do the seal replacement, and was fine for a few days. They have done work for me on my Saab in the past with never an issue. Unfortunately I'm limited in my area. It's big 3 territory around here. If it's not an GM Ford or Chrysler not many places will touch it. I have heard horror stories from people being taken to the cleaners at a dealership.
Old 10-14-19, 08:14 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Was it in an accident? I'm assuming the CV axles and transfer case were replaced simultaneously. Do you notice any vibration while driving? Trying to figure out if axles are not spinning true so it puts undo wear on the seals, even with "new" CV axles. It's also possible that the seal wasn't seated properly or there's something wrong with the surface the seal sits in or internal damage such as output shaft bearing etc.. unfortunately there really only way to know is to remove the axle stub and inspect it again.
Old 10-14-19, 06:03 PM
Mwolfe
10th Gear

I really don't know if it was in an accident for sure. Only had the vehicle history on th dealership site and it did not show one. Other than these newer parts I don't see any signs of an accident underneath. Subframe is definitely original.
I'm taking it back in tomorrow to have them look at it again. Was just hoping for some ideas so I have somewhat of a clue as to what they should be looking for and informing me about. They had mentioned a failed bearing today on the phone. Not what I'm hoping for. Heard these are a huge undertaking to remove and I'm seeing big $$$ 😥
Old 10-26-19, 11:02 AM
Mwolfe
10th Gear

Not sure if anyone has any other ideas short of a new transfer case, but I'll update nonetheless. Repair facility found nothing wrong. I took it home and looked for myself. Wasn't as difficult as I was thinking. Seal looks to be installed correctly, seated probably and no visible tears. The cv axle is a Toyota brand, with part number still stamped on it. Compared the shaft diameter to a couple different brands and all spot on. Still a slow drip though.
Old 10-29-19, 06:46 AM
afpj
Instructor

If it still has a leak, how can they say there's nothing wrong? Unfortunately pulling out an axle on these things is a pain in the butt. You have to undo the front suspension and remove axle from hub assembly because if I recall correctly the inner and outer CV joint have to all come out together as one unit, rather than having half shafts like in my GM truck.
Old 10-29-19, 03:11 PM
Mwolfe
10th Gear

I think it was their way of saying they don't like working on Lexus. Their next step was to pull transfer case. I wasn't paying for that. I took it home and did probably what they did, pulled the axle, honestly was pretty easy. Seal looked ok, not in crooked or torn. Leaked stopped for a few days after the seal was replaced last month. I might try and replace it again myself after seeing it isnt all that difficult, and if that nets the same result, I'll try and see if can source a used unit. Looks to be easier to pull transfer case than the 09 and older models. Unless someone has done one and can chime in with their experience. I cannot find anything on the 2010+ RX removal, so I must be an unlucky chosen one with issues.
Old 10-29-19, 03:41 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

The Toyota Highlander should have the same transfer case if you want to broaden your search. https://www.toyotanation.com/forums/...2008-2013.122/
Old 10-30-19, 06:50 AM
afpj
Instructor

You found it easy to pull the axle? You got skills. from what I recall, please correct me if I'm wrong, since you have to undo the suspension to some degree, don't you have to get an alignment again?

Curious what brand of seal used. If you replace the seal again, I would go OEM
Old 10-30-19, 06:59 AM
Mwolfe
10th Gear

All I did to remove it was undo the 2 nuts and 1 bolt that hold the ball joint to the control arm. That gave it enough room to slide axle out.

I thought I was getting an oem seal. Ordered from a Lexus parts site. Seal showed up as a no name brand China seal. So I'm really hoping that's the issue still.

Also appears the Highlander as well as Sienna used different transfer case until 13' I believe, then they went to the transfer case the 2010 + RX was using. That's what I've come across from digging into TSB's and parts diagrams.
Old 12-22-19, 01:53 PM
Mwolfe
10th Gear

I didnt want leave this a dead end unsolved thread, in the possibility someone ever runs into the same issue. The source of the continuing leak was the bearing pressed onto the cv axle. Wobbling enough to damage seal and cause leaking.
Old 12-24-19, 06:48 AM
afpj
Instructor

Thanks for posting a follow-up. The bad bearing was on one of the new CV axles? Were they aftermarket axles?
Old 12-25-19, 03:30 PM
Mwolfe
10th Gear

Originally Posted by afpj
Thanks for posting a follow-up. The bad bearing was on one of the new CV axles? Were they aftermarket axles?
I haven't owned this vehicle very long but the axles did not look like an original almost 10 year old axles but they were stamped Toyota.
Old 10-14-22, 06:41 PM
Tsteed
7th Gear

Default 2010 Lexus rx350

I’m experiencing same problem after replacing both cv axles (front)….I’ve had all seals replaced twice with no help and continued leaking of transfer case. How could I check if the bearing on the new passenger side axle is bad/ the problem??

Quick Reply: 2010 transfer case gear oil leak