RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rx 350 2010 model AWD/ Urgent urgent

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-19, 10:31 AM
Athaml88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx 350 2010 model AWD/ Urgent urgent

Hi

I have RX350 AWD 2010 made in japan version .

Recently I got a huge cracking noise and vehicle suddenly stuck and stopped in high way.

Then took to Lexus mechanic who worked in lexus before and doing own garage .

He told me central bearing of propeller shaft damaged

But after removing bearing and drive shaft he told me the bearings ok but the problem is in Transfer case .

Then I bought new transfer case and gave him , He fixed gave ...
Now the problem is AWD BUTTON is not engaging the 4wheels in my understanding....I took the car back and asked him why the 4x4 is not working but he says some issue inside the gear box so it will not engage ....I can drive the car normally....i understood he does not gave good understanding this car and drive train operation.....he is just cheating me.....

Someone please advise me the following urgently?

1.What is the exact function my lock button with 4x4 Mark
2. Should my car 4 wheel should get power all time ,is it the meaning of AWD?
3.How to check if my AWD operation is normal or malfunction
4.how is the design and function of lexusbrx 350 AWD?
Old 10-20-19, 09:09 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

The 4x4 button is to lock all 4 wheels for low speed to allow you to get out of heavy snow or sand. The system does not work after 30 mph in order to protect the vehicle drivetrain.

The car is in automatic AWD all the time. This means it was designed to be primarily running in FWD but if the car senses slipping due to rain or snow etc, then the rear wheels will engage to make it AWD to safely get you out of the danger.

I suspect everything is fine with your vehicle if he connected back all the wires etc when installing the transfer case. This should be a simple job for a skilled mechanic.

See this link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ck-button.html and this link to learn more https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...k-feature.html

And the Lexus video link within this link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...s-engaged.html
Old 10-20-19, 09:18 AM
Athaml88
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks clutcless

Hi

He says there is no cable or electronics in transfer replacment job

And Also he says all mechanism and electronics inside main transmission

Before repair if I press the lock button and take u turn

I can feel car tyre rotation almost Same speed and car turns little jerky...

Now it does not happen

And also how can I check this ?

I took the cat to a washing centre and asked them to lift in jack

Then i put the car in drive mode and gave some gas...all wheels rotating without lock button pressed?

Tell me simple way to check this myself today night

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The 4x4 button is to lock all 4 wheels for low speed to allow you to get out of heavy snow or sand. The system does not work after 30 mph in order to protect the vehicle drivetrain.

The car is in automatic AWD all the time. This means it was designed to be primarily running in FWD but if the car senses slipping due to rain or snow etc, then the rear wheels will engage to make it AWD to safely get you out of the danger.

I suspect everything is fine with your vehicle if he connected back all the wires etc when installing the transfer case. This should be a simple job for a skilled mechanic.

See this link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ck-button.html and this link to learn more https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...k-feature.html

And the Lexus video link within this link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...s-engaged.html
Old 10-20-19, 04:48 PM
Clutchless

I do not know any more than I have already told you about the transfer case. I still think there is nothing wrong and that your tests are inconclusive Did you mechanic change the transfer case fluid or at least check the fluid level? You never said how many miles or kilometers are on your RX.
However, it would be best if a Toyota or Lexus dealer was to inspect the vehicle about your concerns.
Old 10-20-19, 09:04 PM
Athaml88
Driver School Candidate

Default 498000km

Hi clutchless

2010 model and 498000km,

Fluid level is ok,

[QUOTE=Clutchless;10640111]I do not know any more than I have already told you about the transfer case. I still think there is nothing wrong and that your tests are inconclusive Did you mechanic change the transfer case fluid or at least check the fluid level? You never said how many miles or kilometers are on your RX.
However, it would be best if a Toyota or Lexus dealer was to inspect the vehicle about your
Old 10-21-19, 12:57 PM
Clutchless

All 4 wheels rotating while on the lift sounds normal because the rear wheels would not have any traction. AWD engages when the rear wheels slip.

I think you have nothing to worry about. Aside from your testing the odds are you will never need to use 4 wheel lock.

If you really want to test it, drive offroad and get stuck in the sand or mudd and see if it helps you get out. It may work and still not be enough to get out of the problem. Thus it would be good to have a tow truck nearby for this test. Personally, I would not do it.

I have never used it on my RX. I used it once on my old Ford Explorer in the 12 years I had it.
Old 10-21-19, 01:21 PM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Athaml88
I took the cat to a washing centre and asked them to lift in jack

Then i put the car in drive mode and gave some gas...all wheels rotating without lock button pressed?
This would suggest that everything is working as it should. With all 4 wheels off the ground, the speed sensors are sensing the difference between the front and back and sending power to the back, it's an AWD setup, not 4WD (let the discussion between AWD, 4WD, and 4x4 begin )