RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Possible to add Wiper Deicer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-19, 06:59 AM
jet671
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent information, thank you Sir.

I gave this a break for a while but was back at it last week with the Techstream to see if it needed to be turned on. Nothing in there related to wipers.

i have the windshield, switch and the relay installed, was looking last week at what it will take to replace the amplifier. Probably not to bad after removing the glove box.

spent some time looking for the amplifier, and it did appear that the original one I was looking for was superseded.

None of the used ones I found online matched. Still looking for it used.

Thanks again, Greatly Appreciated.

Last edited by jet671; 12-08-19 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-28-20, 12:37 AM
Bionoiz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange

In addition to the switch, you may need to add the fuse (90982-09024 or 90080-82055) and the relay (90987-02027 or 90080-87026).
The relay is in the box under the hood, and where will be a place for the fuse?
Old 01-28-20, 05:42 AM
jet671
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bionoiz
The relay is in the box under the hood, and where will be a place for the fuse?
The only fuse I found was in the engine compartment fuse box. Fuse #41 25amp labeled "DEICER".

I have not gotten it to work but have not invested $400 for the A/C amplifier.

Let us know if you take this all the way and get it working.

Thanks,
The following users liked this post:
Bionoiz (01-29-20)
Old 02-13-20, 12:50 AM
Bionoiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jet671
Let us know if you take this all the way and get it working.
Sure.
Already found the right amplifier for about 80$
Old 02-13-20, 06:11 AM
jet671
Driver School Candidate

I was able to find an 88650-0E051 on ebay for $50 last week. I wasn't willing to spend $300-$400 for ones that are easily available. It took some time to find one at a reasonable price.

I got it and will be installing it this weekend and will provide an update.

Looks like I have to remove the glove box or at least the airbag panel below it.

I'm thinking I'll disconnect the battery just in case. Any input on that?
Old 02-18-20, 01:19 AM
Bionoiz
Driver School Candidate

Looks like I have to remove the glove box or at least the airbag panel below it.

I'm thinking I'll disconnect the battery just in case. Any input on that?
You're right for sure!
Keep us in touch of your goal, maybe you'll install your amplifier even faster then me
Old 02-18-20, 09:54 AM
jet671
Driver School Candidate

I got it installed and everything seems to be working.

I had bought the manual button for it and it appears that the button works and lights up when it's on. It also turns on in the navigation climate screen. If I turn it on from the climate screen, the button also lights up. Not that any driver can see the light from the button location, but glad to see it appears to be working correctly. Appears, I ended up with an unusual dual power option.

You do have to remove the glove box, air bag panel below the glove box, which requires you to remove the center console top panel, along with the left upper (not left lower) panel and loosen the top part of the lower right panel.

I think this is the easiest. Red has to be removed, green does not, yellow partially, and shift **** (yellow) probably doesn't need to be removed:

1 - Remove bottom panel, disconnect light
2 - Remove side panel
3 - Loosen top part of right side kick panel to access bolt that holds on airbag panel
4 - Remove center console top (pulls up from glove box side, opposite of shift - May not have to remove shift ****, just need to move panel out of the way enough to remove next panel.
5 - Remove panel to access airbag panel left bolt.
6 - There is one more bolt on left side to fully remove the airbag panel
7 - There are 3 screws along inside top and left of glove compartment to remove it.

I left the airbag cable connected and the cable that connects to the glove box. I was able to set them aside enough to get to what I needed to.
With everthing out of the way, remove the bottom bolt to the white harness carrier mount or connector mount (unsure what to call it) but the bottom is blocking access to the bottom bolt that mounts the amplifier. With bottom bolt removed on the white frame, you can move it / flex it enough to get to the amplifier bolt.
Access to the amplifier top bolt is not blocked.

Those are the facts, (as I remember them) now here is the entertainment.

I started to remove the lower left panel which took a lot of time to get back in to place - don't do that.

After getting the AC Amplifier replaced, I connected the battery and tested it. Vehicle started, wiper heater worked, I tested the seat heaters and they did NOT work. I figured that the AC Amplifier did not come with the option of the seat heaters,(as strange as that would be), so I swapped the original AC Amplifier back in.
A little annoyed, I forgot to disconnect the battery.

After getting it back in (not fully, but half way), I tested and everything worked except the seat heaters again. I found that the cable had disconnected from the center console where they are turned on. So I connected that, and swapped out for the new AC Amplifier again.
Half in, I tested, it worked, car started, wiper heater worked, seat heaters lit up with power (didn't wait for actual heat). So I buttoned everything up and got it wrapped up. Attempted to start the car, and got the Christmas tree of lights dashboard, air bag warning, AWD warning, starter spun, vehicle DID NOT START. Heart totally sank 10:00pm on Sunday, Wife needs car in the morning.
Pull it all apart thinking one of the many connectors I saw came loose or something, checked and pushed all connectors in to place. Test, same thing.. Christmas tree dashboard with errors. Swapped out the new amplifier back to the old amplifier disconnecting battery this time in case that was the issue and I damaged the new AC Amplifier....Low and behold, same thing with original amplifier. Oh the fun. Gave up about 12:30am, I work at 6am.
Wife would just have to take my old pickup truck she hates driving and I'd have to tell her in the morning.
Morning comes - I tell her the story, how everything worked as expected - until it didn't. Thank goodness she is calm and knows I usually get myself out of these messes.

Took a quick look online in the morning, sounded like a dead battery issue. I charged the battery for a few and then jumped with my battery charger. That was it, other than the fact that the original AC amplifier was installed at this time, and everything was 100% apart.

I took an hour off work, swapped the new AC amplifer back in and buttoned everything up in about 50 minutes. It's a very quick job after 3 times.

Hope you enjoyed the second half of the story.

Good Luck, careful with the panels and tabs,they are always a pain for me.

Last edited by kitlz; 02-18-20 at 10:16 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jet671:
Bionoiz (02-18-20), Kansas (11-05-20), MattRX (02-01-22), michaelw12 (03-24-20)
Old 02-18-20, 12:26 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

That's actually great news, because I've been meaning to add the button to my 2013 with navigation, as I actually hate that I have to go into the climate screen on the navigation to activate the deicer.

Thanks for the follow up, glad I could help with the part numbers.

Jeff
Old 11-02-20, 05:05 AM
Bionoiz
Driver School Candidate

Update chaps. If you'll install A/C Amplifier from 450h to 350 and deicer will work, BUT you'll catch DTC and inappropriate work of all the climate control.
Guess same thing with the A/C Amplifier from 350 to 450h.
Old 11-03-20, 01:50 AM
djovaniii
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey,

And what is needed to add the manual button, if I already have the option on the NAV.
Just the button or something more.
Old 12-01-20, 01:00 AM
Bionoiz
Driver School Candidate

I got it installed and everything seems to be working.
Snow came but my deicer seems to not working (the light is on but the windshield is cold).
Relay, fuse and amplifier are in its places.
Heater and Heater 2 fuses are OK too.

Can't work out whats going on...(
Maybe i've forgotten something?
Old 01-30-22, 01:37 PM
fritoss007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Jeff Lange Hi Jeff, excuse me to re-open that old thread, but I'm looking to retro-fit a de-icer on my '15 IS250 and I can't figured out on how you can with all that part numbers for the A/C Amplifier. Any pointer would be really appreciated !