RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Possible to add Wiper Deicer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-19, 01:55 PM
jet671
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible to add Wiper Deicer?

I've owned this 2010 since new and never knew deicer was an option (apparently in Canada) and was not specifically looking for this option now.

It's my wife's primary work vehicle and she travels Colorado all year round in all weather. Vehicle has been great.

The reason this came up was because we just had the windshield changed (3rd or 4th), and they replaced the windshield with the one that comes with the deicer option. There is a connector on the windshield and the technician charged the same price he was going to charge without the option. I let him install it and connect the connector. I figured it'd be a nice option for the wife if it works.

I checked the fuses and found that the deicer fuse was in place.
I checked where the switch goes and found that there is a connector for the switch connected to a blank.
I bought the switch hoping it would be plug and play.
It doesn't work.
Everything else still works normally.

I was hoping that the wiring harness and all connections are the same on models with and without the option. I figured maybe they just didn't install the windshield with the connector, and the switch. Apparently something else is missing.
I'm hoping maybe there is an inline fuse somewhere that needs to be added.
Or was thinking I might be able to turn the option on with the OBDII Mini VCI connector that I have using Techstream software (used for previous project). Haven't tried yet, but thought I'd get some input.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
I paid $75 for the switch and nothing extra for the windshield, so this is just a luxury I thought I'd try.

Thanks for any input.
(NewB at posting, hope the description wasn't too long.)

JT
Old 11-02-19, 05:32 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts

The lack of a wiper deicer on my last Lexus LS really pissed me off due to its wipers being worthless in icy weather. Even "tropical" Vancouver BC got wiper deicers. I must have pulled off the highway to bang the ice off the wipers a hundred times.

I know it was possible to add the optional wiper deicer function to pre-2011 Toyota Sienna by adding the appropriate switch and relay and installing a windshield with the deicer grid. Maybe it is the same on the RX but I can't guarantee it. The windshield wiper deicer became standard on the Sienna in 2011 and we have it on our 2014 Sienna Limited. That it remained in an optional cold weather package on the RX and other Lexus models seemed odd.

The attached image shows where the relay for the windshield wiper deicer in the engine compartment fuse box goes - the red arrow marks the spot. Let us know if you get it to work. After having it, the windshield wiper deicer is now on my must have list of features.

Last edited by Kansas; 11-02-19 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-02-19, 08:19 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

There should be more to it than just the wiring to fuse.

I bet there is a timer that cuts off the the heating element after say 5minutes or so. I would suggest getting hold of the wiring diagram and get the full picture.

Times have changed and it used to take couple of pages from an old news paper under the wipers to absorb moisture (which ices over). 2nd best solution is to lift the wipers off the windshield (wash position) so that they do not get stuck and once you have the inside heat directed to the the windshield the ice melts off.

Salim
Old 11-03-19, 08:04 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
I bet there is a timer that cuts off the the heating element after say 5minutes or so.
AFAIK, on vehicles made by Toyota that have it, the wiper de-icer times out after 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by salimshah
Times have changed and it used to take couple of pages from an old news paper under the wipers to absorb moisture (which ices over). 2nd best solution is to lift the wipers off the windshield (wash position) so that they do not get stuck and once you have the inside heat directed to the the windshield the ice melts off.
The wiper de-icer can help in the few minutes it takes to brush the snow off a vehicle before driving it away but its main purpose is to keep the wiper blades from icing up while driving - likely not a problem you encounter much (ever?) in Austin, Texas. I once had to pull off an interstate highway every few miles to knock the ice off the wiper blades of my last Lexus LS while driving in an ice storm - doing that added a LOT of time to a 200 mile drive. The hot air from the defroster couldn't begin to keep the wipers ice-free even with the temperature on its highest setting.

I find it bizarre that the wiper de-icer is still an option on the RWD LS500. It's a safety feature that would add only a few dollars to the $75,000 base price of the LS500.
Old 11-03-19, 01:42 PM
jet671
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, greatly appreciated.

You are correct, there is a missing relay where the deicer relay goes. From what I have found 90080-87026, 90987-02027, 90987-02028 are all interchangeable relays. I tried swapping with the AC relay to see if it would work. It didn't. It generated a "Climate Control" error which went away when I put the AC relay back.

Based on the relay being inexpensive, I'm going to get one so I can leave the AC one in place and continue troubleshooting.

I'll have a few days to research the wiring diagram to see if anything else might be needed.

Thanks again.
Old 11-03-19, 02:48 PM
jet671
Driver School Candidate

Default Deicer Wiring Diagram

Old 11-03-19, 05:03 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Whoa, I'm seeing a different A/C amplifier assembly for Canada spec models - could that be needed to get the de-icer to work on U.S. spec models?

Old 11-04-19, 04:06 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Does anyone make heated wipers? Here in Portland Oregon I've only had to stop and whap the blades every 5 minutes once, about 10 years ago, but surely someone does fluid or heat.
Old 11-05-19, 08:08 AM
jet671
Driver School Candidate

I have seen references to heated wipers, have not seen any results of testing or responses from anyone who has them. Low temp windshield fluid can help sometimes. I don't like to use it at high speed in very cold weather because wind chill might cause to freeze. I'm not sure about that.

Thanks again Jim, that ******* site is pretty awesome. I'll try to check voltages when I get the relay I ordered. I had originally tried to check voltage to the switch prior to purchasing the switch but it is difficult with the connector.

I will try again after the relay is in place and also check voltage at the fuse which will be easy.

I'm concerned about trying the CA spec A/C amplifier, I don't want to fry anything.

Are you able to tell the location of it?

They are pretty expensive new, although many similar are available used online. None that I have found exactly match the CA spec part number 88650-OE51 (or 0E51). I'm trying to determine if any US spec Lexus models had the option that might have the amplifier. Haven't figured it out yet. If not, I think I'll have to try to source a used one from Canada.
Old 11-05-19, 12:21 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jet671
I'm concerned about trying the CA spec A/C amplifier, I don't want to fry anything.

Are you able to tell the location of it?

They are pretty expensive new, although many similar are available used online. None that I have found exactly match the CA spec part number 88650-OE51 (or 0E51). I'm trying to determine if any US spec Lexus models had the option that might have the amplifier. Haven't figured it out yet. If not, I think I'll have to try to source a used one from Canada.
Based on the diagram, it looks like the A/C amplifier is behind the dashboard on the right side of the blower motor housing ... behind the glove box area.

I thought I found the Canada market A/C amplifiers with Google but I sure can't find them now.

If all else fails ... how are your Rube Goldberg fabrication skills?

Since the wiper de-icer on your RX is of the type that has a separate switch, I don't know why you couldn't bypass the A/C amplifier by fabricating a simple wiring harness and using a common automotive relay to power the de-icer from the battery in the engine compartment. Of course, you would use an in-line fuse holder in your fabricated wiring harness for safety - probably a waterproof in-line fuse holder in the engine compartment. Your dash mounted switch would trigger the relay to send current from the battery to the de-icer. There wouldn't be a timer to turn the de-icer off after 15 minutes - you'd have to remember to do it. If you want to get fancy, you could put a $14 12V timer from Amazon in the circuit and set it to turn off after as many minutes as you like. If your switch doesn't have a built-in telltale indicator to alert you when the de-icer is on, you could install a separate telltale indicator somewhere on the dashboard if you think you need one. You wouldn't even have to use the switch you bought if it complicates things. I have a guy in Australia do custom switches for automotive projects - he'll laser etch whatever you want on the face of a switch: https://billetautomotivebuttons.com/ If necessary, you could drill a hole for one of his on/off switches in the switch blank you removed.

I never gave it much thought but I've done a lot of fabrication like this for automotive projects. The Internet has made it much easier to find the necessary components although I find much of what I need at ordinary hardware and auto supply stores.
Old 11-06-19, 07:08 AM
jet671
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the idea and references.

I don't think I'll go to that extent at the moment.

Hopefully I can find a used one out of Canada in time to get it working this winter.

Thanks again.

Old 11-06-19, 12:20 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

idea and references..
I'm not sure if you mentioned whether you have the nav system or not. On 2010 models with nav, the windshield de-icer is controlled on screen in the climate menu, there is no switch in this case.
Old 11-06-19, 02:54 PM
jet671
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input, I'm not sure if there could be different 2010 models, but according to my manual it is operated with a button.

I was able to find the button pretty easily and install it to a connection that exactly fits it, in the location where the manual shows it should be.

I think it changed to the nav system right after this model.
Old 11-07-19, 08:57 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Thanks for the input, I'm not sure if there could be different 2010 models, but according to my manual it is operated with a button.

I was able to find the button pretty easily and install it to a connection that exactly fits it, in the location where the manual shows it should be.

I think it changed to the nav system right after this model.
The User Manual is the interface for humans .. what happens behind the scene is all in the engineering. One has to have a timer to cut off power to the heater after "some" time. Without the timer the element will be burnt out or its life shortened.
So if it works for you great.
I would still test out that the heater is cut off around 15 mins (based o the discussion below).

Salim
Old 12-07-19, 06:38 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 609 Likes on 405 Posts

To answer some of the questions in this thread.

This was not an option on any US-spec RX from 2010-2015.

The heated windshield turns off after approximately 15 minutes as per Lexus. This is controlled by the amplifier.

The way the heater is controlled is the same for all 2010-2015 models:
Vehicles with navigation or display audio, the heated windshield is controlled on screen via the "Climate Control" section.
Vehicles without have a switch on the LH side of the steering wheel.

The amplifier is indeed different between vehicles with and without the heated windshield. Here are the part numbers if you're looking to find one that is compatible with your car:

RX350
2010 (Made in Japan): 88650-48360 or 48361
2010 (Made in Canada) or 2011-2012: 88650-48480, 48481, 48670, 0E050, 0E051, 0E052, or 0E230
2013-2015: 88650-48610 or 0E200

RX450h
2010-2012: 88650-48390, 48391, 48392, or 48700
2013-2015: 88650-48640

Changing out the amplifier will likely cause the option to appear on your navigation or display audio screen, but if for some reason it doesn't, the easiest option would be to add the switch to the dash instead.

In addition to the switch, you may need to add the fuse (90982-09024 or 90080-82055) and the relay (90987-02027 or 90080-87026).

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 12-08-19 at 01:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Lange:
fritoss007 (01-30-22), jet671 (12-08-19)

Quick Reply: Possible to add Wiper Deicer?