RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

NAV map for South America?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-19, 06:09 AM
EcuadorRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NAV map for South America?

I just purchased a 2010 RX450h yesterday and live in Ecuador. Has anyone found any way to load a GPS map for South America (or just Ecuador) on to their navigation system for this model? I spoke to the Toyota service manager yesterday and he seemed to indicate that I was SOL. Surely I'm not the only individual in South America with this issue. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 11-15-19, 07:43 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,020 Posts

It appears you are out of luck and should invest in a stand-alone Garmin or other GPS and a dash mount for it. That system will be much better than the terrible original equipment navigation system supplied by Lexus in 2010. Or just a phone mount and use Google maps.
It sounds like you bought a US model that was exported to Ecuador. This Navigation system has to be updated by the dealer. You cannot do it yourself as it requires proprietary Lexus hardware and software.
I am surprised a Toyota dealer could not do it though.
Old 11-15-19, 08:39 AM
EcuadorRX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Clutchless. That's kinda what I figured and I agree with you about the outdated 2010 Lexus system. And yes, the car was imported to Ecuador from the US during the only year that the laws of the country would allow it to be brought in without charging outrageous tariffs. The following year the government rescinded the enabling law so there are no other more recent models available for purchase. You would be absolutely amazed and dumbstruck at the prices for used cars here.

The only reason I would be interested in finding a current Ecuador map for the nav system is for my wife who has absolutely *NO* sense of direction (which is even more of a handicap here in Cuenca where there is an amazing lack of street signage and posted addresses) and for whom the heads-up display would be very helpful. We have a Garmin so that's not the concern-- I was just trying to take advantage of the HUD if that were a possibility.

Re the Toyota dealer question: yes, he could install an updated North America map but that wouldn't do us much good here in South America.
Old 11-17-19, 08:27 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Are you trying to get the updated maps or maps for your region? You may be surprised to find out that the latest maps may not be very different from the 2010.

Salim
Old 11-18-19, 05:55 AM
EcuadorRX
Driver School Candidate

Just trying to get *ANY* Ecuador map available that will function with the built-in nav system. The car was imported from the US and therefore came with a US map pre-loaded. Are you aware of any sources for maps of South America--especially Ecuador--that work with the 2010 nav system?

Last edited by EcuadorRX; 11-18-19 at 06:57 AM. Reason: to clarify pre-existing map
Old 11-18-19, 08:19 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by EcuadorRX
Just trying to get *ANY* Ecuador map available that will function with the built-in nav system. The car was imported from the US and therefore came with a US map pre-loaded. Are you aware of any sources for maps of South America--especially Ecuador--that work with the 2010 nav system?
I would suggest that check with other Lexus/Toyota owners who own Nav vehicles of year around your vehicle. Nav systems can be different but generally the map software. Chances of getting the information you seek are much higher by your local networking. Group sourcing [major advantage of message board] in Club Lexus is high for North America (Canada, USA & Mexico), then Europe, then Asia and then South America (in that order).

Sorry I can't be of much help!.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
juan13k (12-17-20)
Old 11-18-19, 02:54 PM
EcuadorRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
I would suggest that check with other Lexus/Toyota owners who own Nav vehicles of year around your vehicle. Nav systems can be different but generally the map software. Chances of getting the information you seek are much higher by your local networking. Group sourcing [major advantage of message board] in Club Lexus is high for North America (Canada, USA & Mexico), then Europe, then Asia and then South America (in that order).

Sorry I can't be of much help!.

Salim
Good idea. Thanks.
Old 12-17-20, 07:31 AM
juan13k
Driver School Candidate

Did you find any solution... I'm having the same trouble, recently buy a 2010 rx450 and only have US maps on it.

Thanks
Old 12-17-20, 08:12 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm really surprised that there isn't a single hack for this supposedly proprietary hardware and software.
it's a damn USB drive with the software on it that the dealer wants 400 bucks for.
The nav system itself isn't that bad but updating maps is a safety issue and car manufacturers should make it available online.
Ford does that but not a company that sells luxury cars? Great.
Old 12-18-20, 01:35 PM
EcuadorRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by juan13k
Did you find any solution... I'm having the same trouble, recently buy a 2010 rx450 and only have US maps on it.

Thanks
No luck finding a way to upload local maps to NAV system. Sorry. If you find a solution, please advise. Thanks!
Old 12-18-20, 02:25 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by NickSP
I'm really surprised that there isn't a single hack for this supposedly proprietary hardware and software.
it's a damn USB drive with the software on it that the dealer wants 400 bucks for.
The nav system itself isn't that bad but updating maps is a safety issue and car manufacturers should make it available online.
Ford does that but not a company that sells luxury cars? Great.
Never ever rely on the navigation maps/software for safety reasons.

Salim
Old 12-18-20, 09:29 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Never ever rely on the navigation maps/software for safety reasons.

Salim
Haha yes. I see your point. Long story short my phone lost data this one time I was leaving a national park and it was night. Luckily my Prius nav guided me.
But yes, a Garmin unit would be a better solution than the car GPS. I agree.
Old 05-25-24, 08:23 AM
Mvp17
1st Gear

Originally Posted by EcuadorRX
I just purchased a 2010 RX450h yesterday and live in Ecuador. Has anyone found any way to load a GPS map for South America (or just Ecuador) on to their navigation system for this model? I spoke to the Toyota service manager yesterday and he seemed to indicate that I was SOL. Surely I'm not the only individual in South America with this issue. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Tengo El mismo problema. Compré el mismo modelo y mismo año hace un par de días en Quito, y el mapa es de estados unidos. Que solución encontraste? Me da pena cambiar la radio a una más actual porque pierde funcionamiento el "mouse".