RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX350 Bumper Cover Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-20, 08:43 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2010 RX350 Bumper Cover Replacement

Hello! I recently had something hit my car on the freeway. My insurance company is paying for repair. I got an estimate done by a very reputable collision center, but I noticed that the OEM part number for the bumper cover is for a Japan built model (mine's a Canada built model). I'm curious if this matters at all? Has anyone had any experience with this? Is there anything different between the Japanese built cover compared to the Canada built one? I just don't want any fitment issues afterwards.. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-11-20, 06:37 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

Go for a second body shop estimate. I always do this for any car body repair. 3 estimates is even better.
Ask both if they have done this repair before on a Lexus RX350 and express your concerns about Japan built model bumper fitment on a Canada built model. I suspect there will not be any issues for them. They are the same car.
The body shops have access to industry databases that indicate which parts fit which models. Things are more interchangeable than you would think.
I would be more concerned about paint matching.
Old 01-11-20, 10:02 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If a Lexus collision centre is authorized by your insurance company, then I suggest that you bring it to the Lexus centre. You don't have to worry about parts and fitment issues. I've had a few minor fender benders and there was only one time that I did not use a dealer centre and paint started peeling after a couple of years. Never had any issues with the dealer centre.
Old 01-11-20, 10:16 AM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Go for a second body shop estimate. I always do this for any car body repair. 3 estimates is even better.
Ask both if they have done this repair before on a Lexus RX350 and express your concerns about Japan built model bumper fitment on a Canada built model. I suspect there will not be any issues for them. They are the same car.
The body shops have access to industry databases that indicate which parts fit which models. Things are more interchangeable than you would think.
I would be more concerned about paint matching.
My insurance company only requested one quote. I did some research on the companies nearby. Cascade collision is the one I got the estimate from. They are the best rated in my area. Unfortunately we don't have a Lexus collision center in my area... The Lexus dealer here has been a nightmare to deal with since I bought the car, so I wouldn't want to go through them..

Since I already had submitted the estimate to the insurance company, do you think I'm still able to get another? I've never had to file a claim before so this is all new to me haha.. But I'll definitely voice my concern about fitment.
Old 01-11-20, 05:09 PM
Clutchless

Body repair estimates are free so just go to another shop and ask. I do this whenever I need repairs, unless I have a favorite local body shop. The insurance company does not care how many estimates you get.
You should also voice your Japan bumper on a Canada car fitment concerns to your insurance company and then tell them you want to get another estimate.
Old 01-11-20, 06:14 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Body repair estimates are free so just go to another shop and ask. I do this whenever I need repairs, unless I have a favorite local body shop. The insurance company does not care how many estimates you get.
You should also voice your Japan bumper on a Canada car fitment concerns to your insurance company and then tell them you want to get another estimate.
I will do that for sure! I wish we had a Lexus Collision center here in Utah. It'd make things easier for those of us who want to use only factory parts.. With all the Lexus owners here, I'm surprised that the closest one is in California!

Thanks for the recommendations Clutchless! Much appreciated!
Old 01-12-20, 07:06 AM
Clutchless

One additional note regarding body repair estimates. They almost always increase after the shop starts to work and takes stuff apart and finds more things are broken than originally estimated. This is normal. They will contact the insurance company to advise of the situation and get approval for the increase in repair cost. Sometimes the insurance company will even send their adjuster to the body shop to inspect the vehicle. They will tell you if this happens.
I had my rear bumper cover replaced after backing into a pole and I think they actually got a used one. It looks fine.
Good luck!