RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

LED H11 Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-20, 09:05 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by Non
It looks very bright, I need to upgrade my fogs too.
The tops of the trees are lit up, so I think it would probably blind oncoming traffic. Did you notice any reaction from oncoming traffic? Or is this not a problem?
My concern too. From the photo, I appears to be blinding oncoming drivers. If the poster of this photo can confirm that he's been driving at night with lots of oncoming traffic for over a month without getting "flashed", it'd be appreciated. If he rarely drives at night or live rurally with low traffic density, it's not a reasonable/real life test. He may be unaware that he's blinding people. The review video he posted mentions readjusting the aim of headlights to avoid blinding other drivers. Did he make that adjustment? If a car has auto leveling headlight feature, there is no standard adjustment. Just be sure your lights can be adjusted down before even buying upgrade bulbs. Not sure if Amazon will accept returns on this kind of product.

Last edited by swfla; 02-09-20 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-10-20, 11:14 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by afpj
Thank you Uz214. Did you have any headlight fitment issues? Enough room to be plug and play so you didn't not have to modify how the big cooling fins fit at the housing? Also curious if you did before and after pics against the wall to see the difference in cut off. It sounds like you did not have to do any adjustments for the aiming, is that true? Oh, and what vehicle are we talking about? Is it an RX 350?
yes i am talking about a RX350 2013 ; seriously guys..i didnt modify anything. It took me 10 mins to put in all 4 bulbs. you can reach all the bulbs from the engine bay. The hardest for the left fog. My RX didnt have HIDs it was halogen bulbs in the projector.
Old 02-10-20, 11:22 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

no flashing from divers. I think it pretty good. ..I would have put in xenon depot HIDs but it was like 130 a set; i figured if i don't like these i would just return them back to amazon. (they do accept returns). i drive around everywhere in town/city etc. i live near a state park so can use the extra light because we have so many deers/
These are bright, much brighter then the halogen fogs; they dont look like its gonna blind drivers. I didnt make any adjustments; but i made sure the bulb sits exactly as recommended in the instructions. I dont have auto leveling; i had them in the other cars but not in the RX350

Originally Posted by swfla
My concern too. From the photo, I appears to be blinding oncoming drivers. If the poster of this photo can confirm that he's been driving at night with lots of oncoming traffic for over a month without getting "flashed", it'd be appreciated. If he rarely drives at night or live rurally with low traffic density, it's not a reasonable/real life test. He may be unaware that he's blinding people. The review video he posted mentions readjusting the aim of headlights to avoid blinding other drivers. Did he make that adjustment? If a car has auto leveling headlight feature, there is no standard adjustment. Just be sure your lights can be adjusted down before even buying upgrade bulbs. Not sure if Amazon will accept returns on this kind of product.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (02-11-20)
Old 02-10-20, 08:42 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Halogens

LEDs
Well I took the plunge and tried out those Lightning dark LEDs. It really was a snap to replace very quick plug and play no adjustment needed. I put marking tape on the wall and basically there is no change in the cutoff. I will say however that the brightness change is essentially nil. At least for my application on a 2010 RX 350, if you want a color change from yellowish halogens to whitish blue LEDs, go for it. If you're looking for much brighter noticeable light output, meh.

Last edited by afpj; 02-10-20 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Sepcificy
Old 02-11-20, 06:07 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

~ I put marking tape on the wall and basically there is no change in the cutoff. I will say however that the brightness change is essentially nil. At least for my application on a 2010 RX 350, if you want a color change from yellowish halogens to whitish blue LEDs, go for it. If you're looking for much brighter noticeable light output, meh.
I read and watched many LED bulb reviews, and what I understand is that very few LED bulbs work well with the projector type headlights like ours. Your results seem to confirm that. Also, LED's get dimmer over time.

If you want brighter, the HID kits work very well, but are more pain to install.

So far, I went with halogen H9 upgrade (per advice from this forum). My lights are noticeably brighter for the total cost of $20, and I'm not a fan of blueish headlights.

Good and bright LEDs are not cheap, at least not yet.

But new LED bulbs come on the market all the time, and the technology is improving all the time.

Last edited by Non; 02-11-20 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-11-20, 08:14 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Don't h9 bulbs draw more power? I was concerned about that so I didn't go through with it
Old 02-11-20, 08:59 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

for me these leds made a considerable difference, most of the time I felt like the RX halogens headlights were basically useless. Guaranteed I am so used of driving with HIDs and Leds in my other cars. This was not a bad investment. Is the light out same as halogens I don’t agree with that. Maybe my halogens were on their way out, it’s a 160k car

Halogens

LEDs
Well I took the plunge and tried out those Lightning dark LEDs. It really was a snap to replace very quick plug and play no adjustment needed. I put marking tape on the wall and basically there is no change in the cutoff. I will say however that the brightness change is essentially nil. At least for my application on a 2010 RX 350, if you want a color change from yellowish halogens to whitish blue LEDs, go for it. If you're looking for much brighter noticeable light output, meh.
Old 02-11-20, 09:08 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,209 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I have been running the H9 conversion for 5 years on my HS250h and I highly recommend it as the best bang for your buck to get much brighter lights. Get the H9 Standard Philips bulbs at Amazon for $7.00 each. Buy 4 bulbs as they tend to burn out in a year if you drive a lot. We use this car to commute to work.