RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dent on passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 07:12 PM
easye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dent on passenger door

Long story short, I got a dent on my passenger side door.

https://imgur.com/a/h7Kysl1

Should I bring it to the dealership to get fixed or just leave it alone? Any idea how much something like this would cost to fix? It is tough to see in pictures but the door is definitely has a dent/pop in. Excuse the dirt, lot of rain lately, been meaning to take her in for a wash.

Thanks
Old 02-18-20, 09:10 PM
austex300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a black one with (i think) a much more substantial (softball size below taillight) dent than yours (i dont even think i can detect it in pics) but you & i have the same issue/upside: our colors (black & white) hide & conceal the dents more than any other color. I had similar size dents (other car) repaired in the $1000+ range, but this one, i’m leaving (as did prev owner) bc its so well hidden by paint color

Last edited by austex300; 02-18-20 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-19-20, 03:40 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

I would leave it alone. I have worse dents on my 2010 and will never fix them. It is a bad investment and will not help your resale or trade-in value that much. However you did not state your model year and mileage as that could affect your decision process.

If the paint is not chipped, you could get estimates from a couple of those paintless dent repair guys as they are far cheaper than regular body shops. They have special tools to massage out the dented metal.

If you do go the body shop route, go to 3 different body shops for estimates. The dealer body shop may or may not be any better than the independent ones, but it will probably be more expensive. If paying cash tell them as cash prices are lower than insurance jobs.
Old 02-20-20, 01:31 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Dents (could not see yours on the pic) if possible get a Dent guy, you will not be able to see it. If you can help it, do not do a repaint. Good luck.
Old 02-29-20, 06:30 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

From the photos I don't see any dent, I see a scrape. A scrape means paint damage.

A few weeks ago a local guy took out a dent in my side door that I received when my passenger flung open the door and it (fortunately) hit a nearby car's side-view mirror housing. No damage to him, but an eraser-sized indentation in my door.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...out-dents.html
Old 03-01-20, 07:53 PM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

PDR -> paintless dent repair: Requires the paint reflectiveness is not damaged. The shine parallel lines on the surface and push the metal out while they monitor the lines.

Surface scratches that are in the top coat ... can be buffed out by abrasive compound (amateur-level) while a professional may use more aggressive techniques and rebuild. So for deep scratch go to a professional.

Scratching going to the paint level: the paint has to built up and then clear coat in layers (overspray issues). This is best fixed by body/paint shop and whole panel may need repaint. *

Scratch going beyond paint into base coat or down to metal: Litlte worse that the above . This is best fixed by body/paint shop as above *

*: Quick fixup places and touch up may help protect against corrosion, but it is camouflage and you can always be able to tell. The more novice who does the fix the imperfection will be more obvious.

My limited experience is that Lexus dealership will recommend a body/paint shops and even suggest a trailer based quick repair (they are not equipped to fix the * level of damage although they can camouflage it better that a novice). If you are in Austin TX pm me and I can suggest where to take your vehicle).

Salim
Old 03-01-20, 08:14 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Youtube has countless videos on PDR paintless dent repair. It's an art and I was amazed at the severity of dents the can be fixed thru this process. Of course a quote from a local pdf guy will be the final word. A second quote is never a bad idea. I don't normally say this but you'd be a fool not to explore this avenue.
Old 03-01-20, 08:46 PM
ronmaiden
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Easily well over a grand but get estimates at a private body shop since the dealer will charge twice as much.
Old 03-05-20, 06:32 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

So, have you gotten any quotes or pro opinion if this is a PDR or full body shop type job?