RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Who has GROM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-24, 09:19 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
In my case [2011 RX450] Grom was upfront about reverse and camera so I would say I cant claim to be unsatisfied but i agree that the solution is not perfect.

I have noticed a few things

1. If you don't drive your vehicle for a 2 or more days the GROM system shuts down and on next start it takes a bit to startup.
2. In case where GROM does not fully take over in Reverse I can see Lexus Maps.

I attribute it to where the video portion is fully taken over by the GROM instead of by-pass till everything is active/ready.

Siri worked for me at least once, but I have not been able to talk to her, although I see the blue orb trying to listen.
My 12v battery is strong for now, but I do have some concerns about current draw from Grom till the system shuts down [2days?].

Salim
Power consumption notes
VLine is designed to work as fast as possible after you start the vehicle, at the same time consuming as little battery as possible. The normal behavior will be as follows:
  1. Within 10-15 minutes after ignition is off, VLine will stay fully up and running, able to process data and installing updates if needed. Most internal LEDs are on.
  2. After 15 minutes VLine will go to sleep, consuming around 28mA, ready to start immediately upon ignition. Only one internal LED will be on.
  3. After 24 hours of inactive ignition VLine will shut down fully, consuming 1-2mA. Ready to work in 20 seconds after ignition is on. No internal LEDs are on.
For context on power consumption, typical headlights draw around 10A (10000mA)
More info on the topic is here: https://gromaudio.com/forum/forum/vl...er-consumption
Old 06-12-24, 09:20 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

For Siri you need to press and hold the TRACK UP button on the steering wheel controls, it should activate Siri. If it does not hear you for some reason, check your microphone. Does the microphone work for the phone calls?
Old 06-12-24, 09:23 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by AWaterbug
  1. NextGen CarPlay architecture has been announced. Do/does the Grom unit(s) have enough horsepower to run the new CarPlay?
    1. It sounds like Punch-Through UI would be perfect for the rear view, and
    2. Overlay UI would help with things like temperature and volume.
Regarding the next gen CarPlay:
Next gen CarPlay is for OEMs to implement in new vehicles. It includes multiple displays, HUD support, vehicle integration, and so on. We do not have a way to use that. The main CarPlay infotainment screen will be fully supported as on "old" CarPlay.

Most of our supported cars already support temperature and volume overlays while in VLine mode.
The following users liked this post:
oshkalabah (06-13-24)
Old 06-12-24, 02:22 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Thank you gromaudio for the quick and detailed replies.

I will do my learning.

Salim
Old 06-13-24, 11:16 PM
salimshah

Default Firmware upgrade?

Got email about firmware upgrade 12.

The link has info on purchase but no description of what it does. What items/issue are being fixed or improved or being added/removed?

Is this a necessary/substantial change or recommended and how does it impact [or has no impact] on Apple CarPlay.

Salim

PS: The details are in the email. I understand that to be "newer OS". I did not see what got fixed. I am ordering mine.

Last edited by salimshah; 06-14-24 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Update as PS
gromaudio (06-18-24)
Old 06-18-24, 02:30 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

The newer OS will mostly benefit the users that run the apps on the device itself, using the VLine VL2 as stand-alone. Some apps need newer OS.
Old 06-28-24, 01:34 PM
AWaterbug
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Regarding the next gen CarPlay:
Next gen CarPlay is for OEMs to implement in new vehicles. It includes multiple displays, HUD support, vehicle integration, and so on. We do not have a way to use that. The main CarPlay infotainment screen will be fully supported as on "old" CarPlay.

Most of our supported cars already support temperature and volume overlays while in VLine mode.
Is my 2011 RX450h one of those supported cars? Do I need to turn this feature on somehow? Thanks!
Old 06-28-24, 04:21 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Is my 2011 RX450h one of those supported cars? Do I need to turn this feature on somehow? Thanks!
Yours is not supported. This is for the vehicles that come with CarPlay from the factory. If you have VLine VL2 or VLite VT2, your CarPlay will keep working as it is now.
Old 07-12-24, 02:11 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Hi all,
We just started the next group buy order for the GROM
VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system!

Both systems will add wireless CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory stereo of your Lexus vehicle. The group ordering period will run until July 19th. The group order participants will receive a special discount code for $120 off the VLine VL2 or $70 off the VLite VT2. Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 will be available under the group order. The VLine VL2 units ordered within this group order period will also receive free Android 12 upgrade sometime in August!

The product will ship from the end of July to mid August.

If you want to participate in the upcoming group order, please send us a private message with your name and email address, and we will add you to the group order list. There is no obligation to order within the group. You can also send us the request to join the group order via our website contact form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 systems offer wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. Contact us with any questions, and we will be happy to help!

Some of the frequently asked questions are:

1. What is the difference between GROM VLine VL2 and VLite VT2?

The GROM VLine VL2 offers wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as a stand-alone Android interface that you can use to download almost any app from the Google Play store to use in your car. The GROM VLite VT2 system is for wireless CarPlay and Android Auto only.

2. Can I install the system myself?

Yes, you can install the system if you have some technical ability. You will need to disassemble the portion of the dashboard to connect the system to the back of the stereo and display and install the microphone and GPS antenna. We have plenty of install videos on our website: https://gromaudio.com/installs/index.html Otherwise, the local car stereo shop in your area should be able to help you with the installation.

3. Does the VLine VL2 or VLite VT2 system disable any important original stereo functionality?

No, the VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system does not disable any important original stereo functionality. Your original cameras, FM radio, climate controls will keep working as the system fully integrates with your original factory car stereo.

The GROM
VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 systems come with 30 days return for the refund period and 18-month warranty.

To join the group, send the request via the web form at
https://gromaudio.com/support.html or PM us your email address, and we will add you to the group list.

Wireless CarPlay on the factory Lexus stereo using GROM VLine VL2 system
Old 07-13-24, 11:33 AM
GoBose
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

2019 RX350L:
Grom Vline VL2 installed in June 2024.

I installed it myself, as the Lexus is a dream to work on, and the Grom cabling is masterful.

I placed the Grom Head Unit behind the lower left foot panel on the passenger side.

Used Sonic Beats video for guidance. Better than the Grom video although they both help.

A lot of updates were needed to my unit that cost a lot of time and frustration.

Make sure Grom has fully updated the unit before shipping it to you.

I still have Cellular and/or Bluetooth connectivity issues about 25% of the time.

Turn them on/off and then it connects.

Even then, with all signals connected, and Aux connected, Amazon Music may not play.

On/off Cellular and Bluetooth and eventually it connects.

Do not expect to get in a drive off with all connectivity functioning, must check before driving.

Before you drive away, make sure Grom has proper connectivity for Waze and Audio.

Otherwise, you're driving along and trying to make it connect - not good.

I use Amazon Music through Carplay.

gromaudio (07-15-24)
Old 07-13-24, 01:15 PM
salimshah

Thank you for sharing GoBose. As we share opinions, it would help folks who are thinking about the various options. Word of caution of the readers is that they are reading opinion/experience of users and it can be clouded by their limitations and a large number of data is important [one off can mislead].

I did my install on 2011 450H. I am still learning how to use some features and living with some limitations.

Just a suggestion .. I would not opt to locate any electronics near the transmission or the exhaust routing due to nearness of heat.

Salim
gromaudio (07-15-24)
Old 07-15-24, 11:03 AM
AWaterbug
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Power consumption notes
VLine is designed to work as fast as possible after you start the vehicle, at the same time consuming as little battery as possible. The normal behavior will be as follows:
  1. Within 10-15 minutes after ignition is off, VLine will stay fully up and running, able to process data and installing updates if needed. Most internal LEDs are on.
  2. After 15 minutes VLine will go to sleep, consuming around 28mA, ready to start immediately upon ignition. Only one internal LED will be on.
  3. After 24 hours of inactive ignition VLine will shut down fully, consuming 1-2mA. Ready to work in 20 seconds after ignition is on. No internal LEDs are on.
For context on power consumption, typical headlights draw around 10A (10000mA)
More info on the topic is here: https://gromaudio.com/forum/forum/vl...er-consumption
Despite installing another software update last week, I am still finding that my VLite2 unit has problems too often for my liking. I have not been keeping detailed notes, but I think I will start doing that today. My very rough impression, still to be verified, is that:
  1. If my unit does a "slow start," e.g. after 24 hours of inactive ignition, it works fine. This is most often on a Monday morning, if I didn't leave the house on Sunday.
  2. As my week progresses, and I drive the car every day during the work week, so it wakes from sleep, problems start to crop up, including screen freezes, inability to connect, etc.
  3. If I drive the car both Saturday and Sunday, as I did 2 weekends ago, the unit never fully shuts down, and problems are increasingly likely to pop up, but then they are resolved when I do a full shutdown for 24 hours.
I actually manage a software development department for a living, and these symptoms suggest a memory leak. Whenever there is a full shutdown/restart, the OS and apps start with a "fresh" memory allocation, and everything works. As the unit stays on for days and weeks, the memory leak(s) steadily consume the available system RAM until the system locks up. A full restart fixes that, and then we go through the same cycle again. Of course this is just a hypothesis that I need to test by taking some notes.

Is there a way to force a full shutdown:
  1. From the UI, e.g. if I'm starting to detect flakiness, and I want to see if a full shutdown/restart fixes it?
  2. Via some hardware reset button somewhere, e.g. if the UI has completely locked up, and I don't want to leave my car off for 24 hours to fix it?
Thanks!
Smooph73 (07-16-24)
Old 07-16-24, 09:39 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Is there a way to force a full shutdown:
  1. From the UI, e.g. if I'm starting to detect flakiness, and I want to see if a full shutdown/restart fixes it?
  2. Via some hardware reset button somewhere, e.g. if the UI has completely locked up, and I don't want to leave my car off for 24 hours to fix it?
Thanks!
Interesting observation. We will run some additional tests and look into it.
As of the restart, you can go to Support --> Reboot to restart the system.
Old 07-16-24, 09:55 AM
Breakers
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Red box after from updates

Did the updates last weekend to my vline2 in a 2015 rx.

now I have these really irritating red boxes around everything.

searching the net I see that you are supposed to toggle the sticky mouse button, problem is there is no sticky mouse button anymore (from what I can find)

any ideas?

thanjs!
Old 07-16-24, 03:05 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by Breakers
Did the updates last weekend to my vline2 in a 2015 rx.

now I have these really irritating red boxes around everything.

searching the net I see that you are supposed to toggle the sticky mouse button, problem is there is no sticky mouse button anymore (from what I can find)

any ideas?

thanjs!
You cannot get rid of the boxes as they help with the selection of the specific app. However, you can change the color to your liking. Here is how to:
It is available via settings - on the VLine VL2 sandwich menu in the top left corner of the screen.