RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Who has GROM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-24 | 02:04 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Tomorrow we are starting the next group buy order for the GROM VLine VL2 / VLite VT2system!

Both systems will add wireless CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory stereo of your Lexus vehicle. The group ordering period will run until September 20th. The group order participants will receive a special discount code for $120 off the VLine VL2 or $70 off the VLite VT2. Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 will be available under the group order. The VLine VL2 units ordered within this group order period will also receive free Android 12 upgrade!

The product will ship from the end of September to early October.

If you want to participate in the upcoming group order, please send us a private message with your name and email address, and we will add you to the group order list. There is no obligation to order within the group. You can also send us the request to join the group order via our website contact form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 systems offer wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. Contact us with any questions, and we will be happy to help!

Some of the frequently asked questions are:

1. What is the difference between GROM VLine VL2 and VLite VT2?

The GROM VLine VL2 offers wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as a stand-alone Android interface that you can use to download almost any app from the Google Play store to use in your car. The GROM VLite VT2 system is for wireless CarPlay and Android Auto only.

2. Can I install the system myself?

Yes, you can install the system if you have some technical ability. You will need to disassemble the portion of the dashboard to connect the system to the back of the stereo and display and install the microphone and GPS antenna. We have plenty of install videos on our website: https://gromaudio.com/installs/index.html Otherwise, the local car stereo shop in your area should be able to help you with the installation.

3. Does the VLine VL2 or VLite VT2 system disable any important original stereo functionality?

No, the VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system does not disable any important original stereo functionality. Your original cameras, FM radio, climate controls will keep working as the system fully integrates with your original factory car stereo.

The GROM
VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 systems come with 30 days return for the refund period and 18-month warranty.

To join the group, send the request via the web form at
https://gromaudio.com/support.html or PM us your email address, and we will add you to the group list.

Wireless Android Auto on Lexus RX factory car stereo using GROM VLine VL2 system

Maps with wireless CarPlay on Lexus car stereo using GROM VLine VL2 system
Old 09-19-24 | 12:40 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

We have one day left to join the group order. If you are interested in joining the group order, please send us a private message and include your email address or contact us via web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html
Old 10-15-24 | 07:30 PM
AWaterbug
Rookie

Originally Posted by gromaudio
You cannot get rid of the boxes as they help with the selection of the specific app.
I do not find that the boxes help at all. In fact the selection box frequently appears to be wrong, e.g. highlighting a wrong/stale section of the screen, so that clicking clicks the wrong control. Mousing away, waiting a few seconds, and then mousing back over the desired control sometimes fixes this, but that's a poor experience when the driver is supposed to keep his eyes on the road.

I would request the ability to disable this "help" and go back to the original UI.
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (Yesterday)
Old 10-15-24 | 07:40 PM
AWaterbug
Rookie

Originally Posted by AWaterbug
  1. Is it possible to reduce the latency when displaying the backup camera? That's probably my main source of dissatisfaction with the product right now, and it's actually a safety issue when I have literally a decade's worth of muscle-memory that expects the rear view to show up earlier than it does.
Several software/firmware updates later, I can say that the backup camera behavior has improved. At first there was some regression, wherein sometimes the backup camera would fail to display at all. This was a serious problem, requiring me to shift into Drive, and then Reverse, and sometimes 2-3 times, to get the backup camera to display.

The most recent updates appear to have fixed this, and now the backup camera displays reliably upon shifting into reverse.

But I still have issues with audio dropouts, the occasional crash/restart, and the occasional UI freeze, when the music and navigation continue working, depending on what was on the screen when it froze, but there is no mouse pointer and no way to click anything. When the unit gets into this state, pressing CD/FM/AM/Bluetooth/USB does nothing, and even pushing the power/volume button to turn things off does not work.

Workarounds that I've stumbled upon:
  • If I'm stuck in Music, and want to switch to Maps, I can say, "Siri, launch Maps," and the display will switch to Maps.
    • This is necessary because when CarPlay is running, the Maps app on the phone doesn't do much.
    • I still can't control anything, but at least I can see the map
  • If I press a Lexus hardware button to go to the main Lexus menu, then I can turn off the power to the sound system, wait 15 minutes, and then turn it back on. Annoying, but betting than turning off the car for 15 minutes.
I'm reiterating my hypothesis that there's a memory leak somewhere, because if I'm on a long trip, like driving to/from LA to San Francisco, the unit will spontaneously reboot at around the 4 hour mark.

I'm a pretty technical person, and I can figure out stuff like this, but there is no way I'd buy this for my SO or my parents, given the current state of bugginess.
Old 10-16-24 | 10:40 AM
salimshah

Vline2:

Latest version ... I had to turn off the select-box option as back, play/pause,next was being grouped as next only.
Reverse camera switching has noticeably improved.
temperature is now visible [It might have been there before but I noticed it now]
Siri seems more reliable once I installed the mic to Vline2. Literature claim was it ight or might not work.

New quirk discovered:
For service minder reset: After trip-meter was set to A, power off, power on the screen was blank. The instrument cluster showed the message [could have been slow wake-up of Vline2]

Overall I am reasonably happy and am OK with the product.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (Yesterday)