RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Changed HID's, Check AFS System

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 01:26 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Changed HID headlights, now have the Check AFS System light on

Hello! Yesterday I had a mechanic install my new Osram HID D4S headlights. I had some flickering on the passenger side which led me to changing the bulbs. The mechanic called me and said that most of the time with flickering, it's caused by the ballast. So I had him replace that as well. Last night I was eager to see my new headlights in action so I went for a drive, after about 5 minutes, my Check AFS System light came on and the AFS Off light started flashing. Prior to the indicator lights coming on, the headlights were doing just fine moving with my steering wheel..

I'm curious if anyone else has has this happen and if so where do I start looking for the problem? I'm in a bit of money with the new ballast and HID lights, so I'm hoping something just wasn't plugged in.. Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 10RXAWD; 04-04-20 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-05-20, 06:04 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The mechanic who did the installation and supplied the ballasts should make it right for you. Any professional repair shop will warranty their work.
I think the most likely scenario is that he installed cheap aftermarket ballasts that are not compatible with the Lexus system, or are defective, or he installed the wrong ballasts. Or if he used OEM ballasts, one is defective or installed wrong, or something has to be reset to prevent the warning light.
If everything worked initially, then all the wires were probably connected. These are probably plug and play components, but I do not really recall the details, never having examined the ballasts.
I think there is a lighting sub forum on the main Club Lexus menu and you should search further on that location.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting-128/
Old 04-06-20, 08:08 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The mechanic who did the installation and supplied the ballasts should make it right for you. Any professional repair shop will warranty their work.
I think the most likely scenario is that he installed cheap aftermarket ballasts that are not compatible with the Lexus system, or are defective, or he installed the wrong ballasts. Or if he used OEM ballasts, one is defective or installed wrong, or something has to be reset to prevent the warning light.
If everything worked initially, then all the wires were probably connected. These are probably plug and play components, but I do not really recall the details, never having examined the ballasts.
I think there is a lighting sub forum on the main Club Lexus menu and you should search further on that location.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting-128/

Apparently the bulb was installed just a tad bit too twisted. That prevented the motor inside of the headlamp to turn the headlight all the way which is why it threw the code. All fixed now!

Here's a picture of the new lights. Osram Cool Blue 6000K.