RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Install paddle shifter on 2013 rx

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-20, 07:27 PM
Zhethe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install paddle shifter on 2013 rx

Is it possible to install paddle shifters and steering wheel from a rx350 f sport into a base 2013 rx350?
Old 04-23-20, 06:12 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

No, the F-Sport has a different transmission.
Old 04-23-20, 06:54 AM
Zhethe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Non
No, the F-Sport has a different transmission.
Will that sucks, I was hoping that since the base also has a shiftable, I could just buy the f sport paddles and plug them in.a Oh well, Ill just have to make do with the shift ****.
Old 04-23-20, 07:32 AM
Non
Intermediate

The base is not really "shiftable"
I know that in the S mode, you can do + and - to go from S1 to S6, but this only changes the gear range of the transmission. It does the same thing as the traditional shifter did with D, 4, 3, 2, 1
So when you drive in S4 for example, the transmission is not forced into 4-th gear, but it is limited to not go higher than 4-th gear.
You can try it, when driving slow, maybe 15 MPH try to shift to S6, but notice that the transmission will stay in 3-rd gear.
The F-Sport has the 'M' mode, the M stands for Manual.
Old 04-23-20, 10:09 AM
Zhethe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Non
The base is not really "shiftable"
I know that in the S mode, you can do + and - to go from S1 to S6, but this only changes the gear range of the transmission. It does the same thing as the traditional shifter did with D, 4, 3, 2, 1
So when you drive in S4 for example, the transmission is not forced into 4-th gear, but it is limited to not go higher than 4-th gear.
You can try it, when driving slow, maybe 15 MPH try to shift to S6, but notice that the transmission will stay in 3-rd gear.
The F-Sport has the 'M' mode, the M stands for Manual.
Thanks for clarifying it up. I just bought this car, so wasn't sure about how everything works.
Old 04-23-20, 10:11 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Non:

Please confirm that F sport has a selectable gear. My understanding is that all Lexus auto trans, including F Sport offering, only sets the max gear, just as you described for non F Sport. Or did I read your post wrong?

Salim
Old 04-24-20, 06:16 AM
Non
Intermediate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Non:

Please confirm that F sport has a selectable gear. My understanding is that all Lexus auto trans, including F Sport offering, only sets the max gear, just as you described for non F Sport. Or did I read your post wrong?

Salim
I never drove the F-Sport version, but I drove other vehicles with the "Manual mode" It worked just like the following page of our manual describes: "When in the M position, the gear will not change unless the shift lever or paddle shift switches are operated." (Page 183 of our manual)
It's not like a manual transmission, because it will still shift in certain situations, for example to prevent the engine from stalling. But it wants to keep you in your gear whenever possible.

Last edited by Non; 04-24-20 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-24-20, 11:31 AM
salimshah

Thank you for confirming. The Manual selector acts as Cap (max gear attainable), so it is good in force shifting down .. although there is still a caveat that say if you are going at 80MPH and you quickly try to drop down to 2nd, it will not allow you [Please please do not try to test that] while the manual transmission will let you go there with consequences.

I say all this as I have 98 GS400 with Manual selector and it does not let me set to first gear and as I do "-" it comes down to 2 and stays there. These are the quirks of Manual selector in a autoTrans.

Salim
Old 04-25-20, 11:14 AM
Zhethe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Non
I never drove the F-Sport version, but I drove other vehicles with the "Manual mode" It worked just like the following page of our manual describes: "When in the M position, the gear will not change unless the shift lever or paddle shift switches are operated." (Page 183 of our manual)
It's not like a manual transmission, because it will still shift in certain situations, for example to prevent the engine from stalling. But it wants to keep you in your gear whenever possible.

So do you think it would be possible to swap for the f sport steering wheel with paddles, or is it not worth the 400 dollars for a used steering wheel. Are there plugs behind the steering wheel to have it plugged in, or would there be more I would need to do, cause I don't really want to do more work than necessary.
Old 04-27-20, 09:17 AM
salimshah

It seems you are first to look at this option [or among the few].

Dont count on the existence of plug as a indication that by swapping the wheel you will get the feature [maybe that is why you posted the question]. I would humbly suggest that get hold of the wiring diagram and see what else may be required ... replace the shifter assembly etc. We will wait for you to find out and share.

my 2c on the the paddle shifter ... [please evaluate the pleasure/return on investment yourself]. The paddle shifter lets the driver shift without lifting the hand off the steering ... to me that is a must for racing scenario where the wheel has to be constantly turned more than 30 degrees [I have the habit of pump and feed with both hands]. If the floor [ha ha] can be roved to +/- then the advantage of the paddle shifter does not exist [this is strictly for me]. More so RX is not a platform for racing. The engine never puts out enough torque to throw you back in your seat, irrespective of human intervened shift points.

Now if your vehicle does not have +/- option by roving the shifter, then I think the change is lot more complex and may even turn out to be impossible.

Please do not let my comments discourage you. I just wanted to give you an alternate view.

PS: I taught my children to operate the steering wheel with a pump and feed system, but the driving school instructor told them it is OK to cross their hand while turning. explanation ... Pump and feed keeps your right fist limited to 12 O'clock to 5 O'clock and your left fist limited to 7 O'Clock to 12/4or7 O'clock. Normal hold at 2 (R) and 10 (L). One of the two fist is held firmly to turn while the other slides up/down to grab and be ready to pull/push at 12 O'clock position. Arms never cross and the steering is always held firmly by the driver. If you learn this or teach this no eating/texting/makeup/fiddling with radio happens while driving.

Last edited by salimshah; 04-27-20 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-27-20, 03:51 PM
Zhethe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
It seems you are first to look at this option [or among the few].

Dont count on the existence of plug as a indication that by swapping the wheel you will get the feature [maybe that is why you posted the question]. I would humbly suggest that get hold of the wiring diagram and see what else may be required ... replace the shifter assembly etc. We will wait for you to find out and share.

my 2c on the the paddle shifter ... [please evaluate the pleasure/return on investment yourself]. The paddle shifter lets the driver shift without lifting the hand off the steering ... to me that is a must for racing scenario where the wheel has to be constantly turned more than 30 degrees [I have the habit of pump and feed with both hands]. If the floor [ha ha] can be roved to +/- then the advantage of the paddle shifter does not exist [this is strictly for me]. More so RX is not a platform for racing. The engine never puts out enough torque to throw you back in your seat, irrespective of human intervened shift points.

Now if your vehicle does not have +/- option by roving the shifter, then I think the change is lot more complex and may even turn out to be impossible.

Please do not let my comments discourage you. I just wanted to give you an alternate view.

PS: I taught my children to operate the steering wheel with a pump and feed system, but the driving school instructor told them it is OK to cross their hand while turning. explanation ... Pump and feed keeps your right fist limited to 12 O'clock to 5 O'clock and your left fist limited to 7 O'Clock to 12/4or7 O'clock. Normal hold at 2 (R) and 10 (L). One of the two fist is held firmly to turn while the other slides up/down to grab and be ready to pull/push at 12 O'clock position. Arms never cross and the steering is always held firmly by the driver. If you learn this or teach this no eating/texting/makeup/fiddling with radio happens while driving.
Yeah the base does have a up shift and downshift on the shifter. And I've installed a Apexi throttle controller into the car, which made it alot more responsive. It doesn't actually decrease the 0-60 time on the car much, but the car does have a nice kick to it now. It is not necessary to have paddle shifter, but my mom's bmw x3 has paddles on it, and I found it useful in some situations (although my mom has no idea how to use it). I know the shifter doesn't actually shift gears the way a actual manual shifter does, but it makes driving 6-8 hrs to go to school more engaging. And being able to cap the gears is useful for upstate during the winter because last time I used my sister's crv with a cvt, I spun out. I was just curious if paddles could be installed or not, since using the shifter is fine. I'll definitely try to find a wiring diagram for the car though. But yeah if it's too much work and is too risky, I'll just not add paddles to the car since the shifter on the car is fine too.
Ps: srry, everything is so jumbled up, it's finals week, and my mind is a mess.