RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to stop rear hatch open beeping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 09:57 AM
cory143
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to stop rear hatch open beeping?

Hello, everyone. I recently hauled some materials which required me to leave the rear hatch open (and strapping it down with bungee cords). The rear hatch open warning beep sounded the entire time. Is there any way to turn it off? I figured the beeping would stop after 1-5 minutes but it went on for the entire 20-minute drive. (I could turn off the beeping by putting it in park at red lights, but that's about it).

Does anyone know how to disable it? I'm going to do a long distance haul eventually where I'll have to keep the rear hatch open. I'm dreading the idea of hours of beeping.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-20, 11:27 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

The dealer can turn it off for you. The next time you visit for a service, ask them to turn off the open door warning buzzer and they will do it for free.
Old 06-04-20, 11:24 AM
ajlexusfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can wear noise cancelling headphones, the noise will go away . Jk, like Non mentioned, you can take your RX to the dealership and have it muted, or you can mute it yourself in the vehicle settings (if your RX is equipped with Audio/Navigation system).
Old 06-04-20, 04:23 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

Or try to find the buzzer and unplug it. It is probably under the dash.
Old 06-12-20, 10:12 AM
SkyKing901
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question on the rear hatch. When you push to open the hatch. Does it automatically open up or you have to force it up? Mine doesn't open up, I have to force it a little bit before it goes up on it own.
Old 06-12-20, 10:20 AM
Non
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SkyKing901
Question on the rear hatch. When you push to open the hatch. Does it automatically open up or you have to force it up? Mine doesn't open up, I have to force it a little bit before it goes up on it own.
It should open on its own. When I press the button under the steering wheel, the hatch is up by the time I get out of the car and walk to the back.
Old 06-12-20, 10:25 AM
SkyKing901
Rookie

Originally Posted by Non
It should open on its own. When I press the button under the steering wheel, the hatch is up by the time I get out of the car and walk to the back.
It opens on its own under the steering wheel option. I'm referring to the back of the suv (next to the back up camera).
Old 06-12-20, 11:56 AM
Non
Intermediate

It opens on its own under the steering wheel option. I'm referring to the back of the suv (next to the back up camera).
Try pressing and holding this button, this is what I do, I press and hold it until the hatch starts to lift on its own (it takes a couple of seconds to move).
If it never moves for you, then you have to take it to a dealer, because maybe previous owner asked them to turn this feature off.
Old 06-12-20, 01:11 PM
SkyKing901
Rookie

Originally Posted by Non
Try pressing and holding this button, this is what I do, I press and hold it until the hatch starts to lift on its own (it takes a couple of seconds to move).
If it never moves for you, then you have to take it to a dealer, because maybe previous owner asked them to turn this feature off.
it moves but an inch to allow me to lift up the hatch. Anyway to turn on that feature without going to the dealership?
Old 06-12-20, 01:21 PM
Non
Intermediate

it moves but an inch to allow me to lift up the hatch. Anyway to turn on that feature without going to the dealership?
No, my owner's manual says only a Lexus dealer can do it, page 839
Old 06-13-20, 11:41 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Cory143 - Getting back to stopping the beeping. I had this same problem with my Avalon when I put my bike in the trunk and it stuck out over the bumper. What I do is...Trick the system into thinking the trunk is closed by flipping the latch lock with a pointed object, like a small screwdriver. Now the system thinks the trunk is locked and the beeping will not occur. I hold the trunk down with a bungee cord. At the destination, after taking the bike out, the trunk will not close completely because the latch has been "jimmied". Simply touch the unlock button. Everything resets and the trunk can be locked...
For your RX, it's more complicated because of the motorized lock and motorized hatch lowering. I just tried it on our 2011 RX. After flipping the hatch lock, I noticed the latch motor activated. I had to lower the hatch by hand, to the materials, then hold it down with a bungee cord. After removing the materials, you must press the unlock button to reset the latch. The hatch motor won't lower the hatch. I had to close it by hand. Everything went back to normal after I did that. I would practice this a few times before your long distance haul. BTW we also did this with a friend's 2012 RX and it worked perfectly. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Last edited by raylor4; 06-13-20 at 11:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (06-13-20)
Old 06-13-20, 03:28 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

When you are not near the hatch and trigger it the motor opens and closes it.
This would include the lower dash board button and the key fob button.

When you are standing right there and touching the hatch it lets you open it without power.
Allows you to open the hatch partially when too close to a closed garage door for example.

Later year RX's added the ability to touch the outside hatch button briefly for manual control
or press longer for the power opener but not 2010- 2012's.