RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Android headunit

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 04:52 AM
kentaur
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed 12.3" chinese head unit to 2009 Lexus RX 450h
It is quite usable and wireless Android Auto works fine.

Advertised Android 13 seems to be actually Android 11.

Installation is easy as there are youtube videos explaining the process.

With 12.3" unit you don't need to remove glovebox, just remove center console, radio and screen.

Video of similar head unit, but with older software.
Sellers picturs of the head unit.

Old 01-17-24, 12:34 PM
TerryMars
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your feedback. So it's a fresh installation? How much time you've been using it?
Old 01-17-24, 02:11 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kentaur
I just installed 12.3" chinese head unit to 2009 Lexus RX 450h
It is quite usable and wireless Android Auto works fine.

Advertised Android 13 seems to be actually Android 11.

Installation is easy as there are youtube videos explaining the process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Vzg2cEJ1o

With 12.3" unit you don't need to remove glovebox, just remove center console, radio and screen.

Video of similar head unit, but with older software.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO-yAyi-Sog
Sellers picturs of the head unit.
Why not show us photos of YOUR installation and maybe a short video clip showing how it functions, and especially climate controls.
Old 01-17-24, 02:11 PM
kentaur
Driver School Candidate

Installed it at sunday, so not much.
Had trouble with factory reversing camera picture showing pink screen at times and the girl on alibaba doesn't help much.
After fiddling with settings it is doing that a lot less, but I maybe should have bought the head unit with reversing camera.
Factory camera picture is quite bad on big screen. Then again the camera install and wiring isn't appealing.
I did the tail light swap before so I remember how much trouble the wiring will be.

Actually I did front bumper with headlight swap too.
https://www.pulloautoparts.com/produ...led-headlights
Old 01-17-24, 02:18 PM
kentaur
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlgoTrader
Why not show us photos of YOUR installation and maybe a short video clip showing how it functions, and especially climate controls.
Ok I'll do a video tomorrow, at the moment it is freezing outside.
The unit shows climate control values on side bar, but is not able to change them.
To activate wiper defrost, you have to switch to factory screen view.
Old 01-17-24, 02:20 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

I'm just gonna repost this again.
At this point, I think we are better off just installing a separate mirroring screen (larger than a phone) that plugs into a phone, for CarPlay or Android Auto, and mounting it to the dash, next to the factory Nav screen, using something like a ProClip. Because the Beatsonic unit is not working, this is where my phone is mounted now using the ProClip mount, and I've been using my phone as a navigation screen. I'm am pretty reluctant to throw away another $600 on another unproven "experiment".

There's been multiple requests to see photos of the unit after installation, along with video of using the unit, showing us how well it integrates with the OEM joystick or other electronics.

Yet no one that bought the NaviHua [or other similar] system has posted anything. I've already wasted $600 on the Beatsonic system and it doesn't work.
Old 01-17-24, 06:08 PM
Yahmei
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Installed it at sunday, so not much.
Had trouble with factory reversing camera picture showing pink screen at times and the girl on alibaba doesn't help much.
After fiddling with settings it is doing that a lot less, but I maybe should have bought the head unit with reversing camera.
Factory camera picture is quite bad on big screen. Then again the camera install and wiring isn't appealing.
I did the tail light swap before so I remember how much trouble the wiring will be.

Actually I did front bumper with headlight swap too.
https://www.pulloautoparts.com/produ...led-headlights
I'd love to see a walk-around of this front-end swap. I've posted about it many times here before and have yet to see anyone reply about it. Starting a new thread or posting a reply to this comment on another thread would be greatly appreciated https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post11507873

I think the main issue pre-facelift 3RX owners run into with swaps is getting the facelifted headlights to fit due to the plug being different and the AFS module. Did you/do you have any issues with that? Thanks a lot!
Old 01-17-24, 11:20 PM
kentaur
Driver School Candidate

Video

Last edited by kentaur; 01-18-24 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-17-24, 11:38 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Ok I'll do a video tomorrow, at the moment it is freezing outside.
The unit shows climate control values on side bar, but is not able to change them.
To activate wiper defrost, you have to switch to factory screen view.
Can you turn on/off AC?

I have a 2013 with GPS (sat nav) and the only way to switch AC on/off is via the OEM screen and joystick.

So if the climate controls are non-functional on the screen, how can you switch on/off AC?

Also, on the OEM AC screen, you can switch which vents the cold air blows from (feet, dash or combination). Again, you must be able to see this screen and use the joystick to change the settings. So if a head unit does not support this, we would lose some of our functionality in the RX.

I eventually gave up on the Beat sonic and installed a Grom VLine 2. Unlike the beat-sonic, the VLine actually works, but it has it's own bugs. OEM radio is non-functional when using GPS. I'm finding bluetooth calls are unreliable as well. I think the OEM bluetooth and the Grom bluetooth fight each other. At least I can access OEM AC controls and the reverse screen works. I don't actually use the VLine very much. It's just easier to attach my phone to a mount and use the phone map that way. In other words, no aftermarket head unit or VLine might be better.

Last edited by AlgoTrader; 01-17-24 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-18-24, 12:07 AM
kentaur
Driver School Candidate

You have factory screen app where can you access all the settings.

Video of the reversing camera when the head unit boots up.

Last edited by kentaur; 01-18-24 at 03:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kentaur:
oshkalabah (06-14-24), Yahmei (01-18-24)
Old 01-18-24, 01:26 AM
kentaur
Driver School Candidate

OEM radio is non-functional when using GPS. I'm finding bluetooth calls are unreliable as well.
This unit comes with a separate small speaker. I think thats for when you use factory radio and then navigation sound will come through that.
I installed it on top of the center ventilation and it, at one time, even made a sound.

Last edited by kentaur; 01-18-24 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-18-24, 05:10 PM
pkrfilm
3rd Gear

This unit comes with a separate small speaker. I think thats for when you use factory radio and then navigation sound will come through that.
I installed it on top of the center ventilation and it, at one time, even made a sound.

whats the link for this model, also how many pins were your OEM plug, if your new system was plug-and-play?
Old 01-19-24, 04:07 AM
kentaur
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pkrfilm
whats the link for this model, also how many pins were your OEM plug, if your new system was plug-and-play?
Model number is few posts above, but I bought it from Alibaba Shenzhen Gehang Technology Co., Ltd
The installation is plug and play.
The wire harness goes between the screen (2 plugs) and stereo wires (1 plug).

There are few problems with the unit:
1. Instead of reverse camera picture it will show pink screen sometimes - annoying.
2. The reverse camera picture is quite dark on a sunny day.
Unless they somehow fix it, I have to install a new reversing camera.
3. Phone book favorites doesn't work. Maybe fixable with another app or I hope the they will fix it.
4. When using the head unit to make phone calls, it uses that small speaker and the sound isn't good.
I was hoping when the system is on AUX audio, it will use the car speakers. Then again I can use Lexus system for calls.
5. Unit allows you to change voice assistant to factory / android / none, but factory assistant will always activate. This is unusable.

Video of the pink screen problem and also shows dim reversing camera picture.

Last edited by kentaur; 01-19-24 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-19-24, 01:21 PM
pkrfilm
3rd Gear

was it a 24-pin plug or 20-pin?
Old 01-19-24, 05:15 PM
salimshah

Received 1,084 Likes on 976 Posts

I did a applecarplay in GS.
Phone and Music are still routed by bluetooth in my case.

Salim

Quick Reply: New Android headunit