RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Android headunit

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-20, 03:34 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cp3o

so overall are you happy with it?
Old 07-16-20, 12:43 PM
cp3o
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
so overall are you happy with it?
it’s not to bad
I cant use the car play like I want to
meaning everyone I talked to when I use says they hear them themselves repeating
so u pretty much have to bypass that and use the factory Bluetooth
the temp numbers for the climate control don’t work
they sent me a file that deletes the numbers so doesn’t show anything where before it would show 40 or full

don’t bother installing the gps or even microphone
u don’t need either the gps program sygic I can’t even figure it out
for the microphone
unless you are going to use the android Bluetooth which uses the speaker that comes With it and external microphone that comes with it
that’s sounds horrible
also if you turn the volume up you well hear interactive zoning out the speakers
also when I play videos from my usb drive
they play for a few seconds than freeze
I had to install VLC player and that works with it
the mouse didn’t work well at all
my main gripe is not being to talk on my car play
I bought the dongle from Amazon Carlinkit
the seller for this unit says that there dongle that sell will work so might have to buy one and try it out
The following users liked this post:
Kherova (02-03-23)
Old 07-17-20, 01:25 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

@cp3o

If you have an iphone you can go to the "shortcuts" application.

From here Go to "Automation" --> Enable This Automation --> When Carplay Connects --> Do Set Playback Destination and disable "Ask before running"

This should automatically have your audio route through bluetooth if I am not mistaken.
cp3o (07-17-20)
Old 07-17-20, 04:21 PM
cp3o
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Alphapidge;10849540]@cp3o

If you have an iphone you can go to the "shortcuts" application.

From here Go to "Automation" --> Enable This Automation --> When Carplay Connects --> Do Set Playback Destination and disable "Ask before run

All I see is

Ok I think I got it shoild i t when Bluetooth connects and disconEcts or just connects

Last edited by cp3o; 07-17-20 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-18-20, 08:13 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

I believe it should look like this, I won't get to test it until I have the unit but this is based on the guide I read. I will rewrite the guide shortly and post here for you.
Old 07-18-20, 08:17 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by robsta8886 View Post
Thanks for the tip pngo! Using this led me to a way where this automation would work for both wireless and wired CarPlay modes. Instead of using the "My Shortcuts" tab, go to "Automation" and add a "Personal Automation". Set "When" to "When Carplay Connects" and Do to "Set Playback Destination". So anytime CarPlay connects, regardless of the method, it will change the AirPlay destination to the "Lexus IS" bluetooth. Unselect the last option "ask before running" so it runs without user intervention.

cp3o (07-18-20)
Old 07-18-20, 06:18 PM
cp3o
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Alphapidge
Originally Posted by robsta8886 View Post
Thanks for the tip pngo! Using this led me to a way where this automation would work for both wireless and wired CarPlay modes. Instead of using the "My Shortcuts" tab, go to "Automation" and add a "Personal Automation". Set "When" to "When Carplay Connects" and Do to "Set Playback Destination". So anytime CarPlay connects, regardless of the method, it will change the AirPlay destination to the "Lexus IS" bluetooth. Unselect the last option "ask before running" so it runs without user intervention.

cool thanks it's I got it
Seems to be working now
Now if I can only get my video to work with out stopping the video tab on tht first page
I can get it to work if I use VLC player
Old 07-19-20, 12:18 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cp3o
cool thanks it's I got it
Seems to be working now
Now if I can only get my video to work with out stopping the video tab on tht first page
I can get it to work if I use VLC player

Awesome! As I don't have my unit yet can I ask you if this fixed audio issues for you? So is all your audio routing through the factory speaker system via bluetooth? And does this apply to the factory mic as well?
Old 07-20-20, 06:25 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Fairly conflicted on this,

the supplier I purchased from just informed me that the headunit is actually android 7 not android 9. Not even sure if android 9 units exist because it is so common for these suppliers to spoof the android version. Event their advert claims Android 9, he came clean though so I am prodding to see if a 9 version exists.
Old 07-20-20, 08:01 AM
kishoreup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Alphapidge,
Which model year you have?
Did you order it from DVD GPS NAV?
Are you planning on installing by yourself?
Thanks,
Phani
Old 07-23-20, 07:33 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kishoreup
Hi Alphapidge,
Which model year you have?
Did you order it from DVD GPS NAV?
Are you planning on installing by yourself?
Thanks,
Phani
Hi, I have a 2014 Lexus Rx350,
No I did not order from dvdgpsnav, their response time was pretty poor in general, and the only payment options they took were bank transfer or western union which is suspicious to me.
Yes I will be doing the install myself.

I ended up ordering from Alibaba of all places, these are the specs I will be receiving
Screen resolution: 1920x720p
Ram: 4gb
Storage: 64gb
Android os: Android 7 spoofed to look like 9 [this is standard apparently??]

I will post a link to the seller I used, once I verify the product functions as specified by the seller. I will say the person I bought it from has been EXTREMELY responsive [which I love], has answered all of my questions, and was bluntly honest with me that the os was android 7, which I knew was a high possibility anyway as no one has reported seeing true android 9 for any lexus models yet. And supposibly the unit arrives Friday which means shipping was processed and will be delivered 6 days ahead of schedule.

Some of the claims are questionable but I will write a full review accordingly, supposibly the startup time is 10 seconds [which is amazing], All factory controls work, and it splits android os and Lexus OEM os. It will use a plug in carplay dongle which should arrive at my house today, I will need to verify if the phone charges while using the dongle or if I will be tempted to use wireless carplay instead. Any audio issues [which is pretty standard across ANY carplay solution in my experience] can be completely bypassed by using the phones "shortcut" solution I posted for another user, I will test and update on that as well.

Last edited by Alphapidge; 07-23-20 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-23-20, 09:42 AM
kishoreup
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Alphapidge
Hi, I have a 2014 Lexus Rx350,
No I did not order from dvdgpsnav, their response time was pretty poor in general, and the only payment options they took were bank transfer or western union which is suspicious to me.
Yes I will be doing the install myself.

I ended up ordering from Alibaba of all places, these are the specs I will be receiving
Screen resolution: 1920x720p
Ram: 4gb
Storage: 64gb
Android os: Android 7 spoofed to look like 9 [this is standard apparently??]

I will post a link to the seller I used, once I verify the product functions as specified by the seller. I will say the person I bought it from has been EXTREMELY responsive [which I love], has answered all of my questions, and was bluntly honest with me that the os was android 7, which I knew was a high possibility anyway as no one has reported seeing true android 9 for any lexus models yet. And supposibly the unit arrives Friday which means shipping was processed and will be delivered 6 days ahead of schedule.

Some of the claims are questionable but I will write a full review accordingly, supposibly the startup time is 10 seconds [which is amazing], All factory controls work, and it splits android os and Lexus OEM os. It will use a plug in carplay dongle which should arrive at my house today, I will need to verify if the phone charges while using the dongle or if I will be tempted to use wireless carplay instead. Any audio issues [which is pretty standard across ANY carplay solution in my experience] can be completely bypassed by using the phones "shortcut" solution I posted for another user, I will test and update on that as well.
Thank you...eagerly waiting for the link from Alibaba and your review.
I have 2013 Rx 350 with factory navigation.
Regards,
Phani
Old 07-24-20, 01:39 PM
jchen096
Driver School Candidate

I ordered the android screen from aliexpress for my 2016 rx350. I think the 4x4shop.ca just buy it wholesale from them and resell it to the customer.
Has anyone done the installation how was it?
Old 07-25-20, 10:21 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

My unit will arrive Monday instead of the previously stated Friday, I will do the install once I receive it.
Old 07-28-20, 08:25 PM
jchen096
Driver School Candidate

Did you install it yet? I've gotten mine and i was going to do it a couple days from now. I tried tonight but my screw wont come out properly.

Quick Reply: New Android headunit