RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Android headunit

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 10:18 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jchen096
Did you install it yet? I've gotten mine and i was going to do it a couple days from now. I tried tonight but my screw wont come out properly.
Mine got caught up in customs for a couple days, I will be installing it tonight if it arrives this afternoon, or tomorrow if it arrives this evening
Old 07-29-20, 06:44 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Got the head-unit. Very easy install, unfortunately it is to dark for me to continue. I have not been able to get apple carplay on it *yet* and the android OS is not touch screen right now? hopefully easy fix tomorrow!
Old 07-29-20, 07:01 PM
jchen096
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it all plug and play for the most part?
Old 07-29-20, 08:09 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Is it all plug and play for the most part?

Yup! All plug and play, very easy to install everything.
Old 07-29-20, 08:25 PM
jchen096
Driver School Candidate

Sounds great ill attempt it tomorrow morning!
Old 07-29-20, 08:29 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Great!

I have contacted my supplier about the touch screen situation, android screen should be touch screen [and the mouse is messy on that]. Regardless tomorrow morning I am going to try and clean it all up!
The following users liked this post:
jchen096 (07-29-20)
Old 07-29-20, 08:39 PM
jchen096
Driver School Candidate

Where does your usb wire come out from? My supplier told me to remove my glove box so i can have it come out from there.
Old 07-29-20, 08:46 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Where does your usb wire come out from? My supplier told me to remove my glove box so i can have it come out from there.
Hey,

Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0YJ49O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0YJ49O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of the usb extenders, connected directly to the factory USB [and it appears to work properly], cannot confirm carplay works yet but it should]. With the cable posted above, the factory usb port should allow us to use carplay.
And the other usb extender goes into the glove compartment box.
Old 07-29-20, 09:38 PM
jchen096
Driver School Candidate

Woah. I'm gonna install my unit and than order this. its gonna take about two weeks for that to arrive. Please let me know if this works with car play.

Thanks
Old 07-30-20, 07:29 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Woah. I'm gonna install my unit and than order this. its gonna take about two weeks for that to arrive. Please let me know if this works with car play.

Thanks
Great! My unit seems to not be working with touchscreen, the mouse is impossible to use in the android OS. I am unfortunately waiting for my supplier to respond, on why my touch screen is not working. I cannot get carplay on it until I can actually navigate the menus...
Old 07-30-20, 07:34 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cp3o

Did you have an issue with touch screen support? I am worried my unit is defective. Absolutely 0 touchscreen use in the android OS and the mouse is almost worthless in the android os as well.
Old 07-30-20, 09:11 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Update:

Apple carplay DOES work with the factory USB port using the usb adapter I posted.

Although touch screen does not work, I realized I could plug a mouse in for the time being and easily navigate the menus! This worked

Working with the supplier right now to get the touch screen stuff figured out, it is the only flaw I have encountered.
Old 07-30-20, 11:29 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

UPDATE!!!!!!

This is an update for everyone following, probably the most important one yet!

The unit works amazingly well! It is crisp, it is very attractive, and it is quality. The factory OS loads at normal speeds [5 seconds ish?] The android OS takes literally 10 seconds to load which is nothing.

Apple carplay works flawlessly through the factory USB cable using the adapter I posted previously, and touch screen now seemlessly works on the tablet [I have NO idea how this was fixed, it just started working]. Regardless, I am extremely happy with the product.

Here is a link that I purchased from: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...15a82fc2NsFAzv I messaged the supplier and specifically stated I wanted the following specs

Resolution: 1920x720p
Ram: 4gb
Cpu: 8cores
Rom: 64gb
Operating system: Android 9 [I found out it is android 7.1, which is the highest standard available for our vehicles so no big deal].

Time for the review: This is VERY easy to install, it is plug and play on all accounts, I did not plug in the microphone as there is really no need to, I did however install the speaker and gps antenna, they both rest behind the head unit [they have sticky tape to set them firm which I did]. Regardless, the unit operates well. Apple carplay using the carlink kit [wired not wireless] works in seconds of starting the car, and using the automatic shortcut through iphone all of the sounds go through factory bluetooth with 0 issues whatsoever. It sounds crisp, it is responsive, loads fast and looks spectacular.

WARNING: The screen appears to scratch VERY easily. I am talking to the supplier about a screen protector, This unit did not have a protective film over it, or if it did it is so insanely tiny I cannot even see it or peel it. I can't wait to test this out on an actual road trip, but first impressions + 30 minutes of driving are very good so far.

Oh and for carplay: Something other carplay solutions cannot offer yet, all of the factory controls work with carplay on the steering wheel, this is huge! If I hit the call button Siri comes up, if I change tracks the song changes. Overall I am satisfied.
The following users liked this post:
carguy75 (12-31-22)
Old 07-30-20, 12:46 PM
jchen096
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Alphapidge
UPDATE!!!!!!

This is an update for everyone following, probably the most important one yet!

The unit works amazingly well! It is crisp, it is very attractive, and it is quality. The factory OS loads at normal speeds [5 seconds ish?] The android OS takes literally 10 seconds to load which is nothing.

Apple carplay works flawlessly through the factory USB cable using the adapter I posted previously, and touch screen now seemlessly works on the tablet [I have NO idea how this was fixed, it just started working]. Regardless, I am extremely happy with the product.

Here is a link that I purchased from: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...15a82fc2NsFAzv I messaged the supplier and specifically stated I wanted the following specs

Resolution: 1920x720p
Ram: 4gb
Cpu: 8cores
Rom: 64gb
Operating system: Android 9 [I found out it is android 7.1, which is the highest standard available for our vehicles so no big deal].

Time for the review: This is VERY easy to install, it is plug and play on all accounts, I did not plug in the microphone as there is really no need to, I did however install the speaker and gps antenna, they both rest behind the head unit [they have sticky tape to set them firm which I did]. Regardless, the unit operates well. Apple carplay using the carlink kit [wired not wireless] works in seconds of starting the car, and using the automatic shortcut through iphone all of the sounds go through factory bluetooth with 0 issues whatsoever. It sounds crisp, it is responsive, loads fast and looks spectacular.

WARNING: The screen appears to scratch VERY easily. I am talking to the supplier about a screen protector, This unit did not have a protective film over it, or if it did it is so insanely tiny I cannot even see it or peel it. I can't wait to test this out on an actual road trip, but first impressions + 30 minutes of driving are very good so far.

Oh and for carplay: Something other carplay solutions cannot offer yet, all of the factory controls work with carplay on the steering wheel, this is huge! If I hit the call button Siri comes up, if I change tracks the song changes. Overall I am satisfied.

WOO good for you. Im waiting till the sun goes down to install mine. Too hot right now without an indoor garage.

I will update once i complete mine as well
Old 07-30-20, 09:05 PM
jchen096
Driver School Candidate

Done. I finished it on my rx350 2016. Installation was pretty easy. I'm having one issue tho my back panel they gave me doesn't fit. I also dropped a screw so i gotta get that replaced this week or try to find the old one.

Quick Reply: New Android headunit