RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Android headunit

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-20, 06:06 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey!

Wanted to update since people seemed interested in this. Still loving the unit

Does anyone know how to make the car door open image stop popping up on screen?

Thanks
Old 08-05-20, 01:37 PM
cp3o
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alphapidge
Update:

Apple carplay DOES work with the factory USB port using the usb adapter I posted.

Although touch screen does not work, I realized I could plug a mouse in for the time being and easily navigate the menus! This worked

Working with the supplier right now to get the touch screen stuff figured out, it is the only flaw I have encountered.
Where did this USB adapter go to
I have rx350 2015 with nav

Old 08-05-20, 02:10 PM
jchen096
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cp3o
Where did this USB adapter go to
I have rx350 2015 with nav
Amazon Amazon

I haven't install mine yet. My car play having issue with Bluetooth while on a phone call. So I'm debating.
Old 08-06-20, 08:38 AM
cp3o
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jchen096
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...BQWBUOYQ&psc=1

I haven't install mine yet. My car play having issue with Bluetooth while on a phone call. So I'm debating.
Yes u can't use the car play with our a delay or word repeating
U have to just have it go to the factory Bluetooth
Carlinkit assure our car is not compatible that's what they told me
Old 08-06-20, 09:16 PM
jchen096
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cp3o
Yes u can't use the car play with our a delay or word repeating
U have to just have it go to the factory Bluetooth
Carlinkit assure our car is not compatible that's what they told me

I think i fix it. Only problem now is my sound echo when its connected to carplay on a phone call.
Old 08-07-20, 09:36 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

I don't have any of the issues being discussed.

The USB adapater plugs into the cable that is plugged directly into the stereo, this is the USB cable in your center console.

As far as audio, when everything re-reroutes to bluetooth using the iphone shortcut, the audio works fairly flawlessly.

Only issue I have encountered, is that if I have no audio playing, and open spotify in carplay directly through carplay, it will default to USB despite being shortcut to bluetooth. But all I have to do is switch it back to bluetooth and it clears it right up. Phone calls sound perfectly normals [is what I am told by the other end callers].

I am trying to figure out how to get the door open icon to disappear off of my screen, no reason for that to pop up at all.
Old 08-13-20, 08:19 PM
aj2pointo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have any of the issues being discussed.

The USB adapater plugs into the cable that is plugged directly into the stereo, this is the USB cable in your center console.

As far as audio, when everything re-reroutes to bluetooth using the iphone shortcut, the audio works fairly flawlessly.

Only issue I have encountered, is that if I have no audio playing, and open spotify in carplay directly through carplay, it will default to USB despite being shortcut to bluetooth. But all I have to do is switch it back to bluetooth and it clears it right up. Phone calls sound perfectly normals [is what I am told by the other end callers].

I am trying to figure out how to get the door open icon to disappear off of my screen, no reason for that to pop up at all.

I just installed the GS version of this in my GS. I don't remember exactly, but the setting you are looking something like for is under Settings -> General -> Factory Pattern. The password is "666666" and there is a setting somewhere in there for the door notification, although it didn't seem to stick after I turned to car off, so Ill have to try it again. The problem I'm having with mine is I'm using the automation shortcut to use factory Bluetooth like above, however, only music seems to go to the factory Bluetooth. Navigation directions, text message reading, and Siri seem like they all go through the WiFi connection to the dongle and thus only play when I switch car to AUX. And since I can't have it in bluetooth mode for music and Aux mode for nav directions at the same time, I'm stuck. Have you had anything like that happen with yours? I just want everything to go through factory bluetooth lol
Old 09-05-20, 01:57 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Update:

For some reason my touch screen stopped functioning again. Has anyone experienced this? The Joy stick is *useable* but virtually worthless on the android operating system. Extremely hard to actually navigate using that. Touch screen is fantastic! However, once more my touch screen is not working. No idea if there is a setting or something I have to do..
Old 09-09-20, 08:12 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Got it fixed.

Overall very happy with this unit still.

Absolutely loving apple/google carplay. Find myself wanting to drive more just to use it ha!
Old 09-09-20, 08:54 AM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you fixed it yourself, would you post details or a video or something?
Old 09-10-20, 09:10 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AlgoTrader
If you fixed it yourself, would you post details or a video or something?

Well actually I am still somewhat confused on the fix.

Originally when I had this issue, I plugged a mouse in to navigate the settings, and touch screen just started working. This time around I brought the mouse into my car and before plugging it in, everything just worked normally again.

I believe what is happening, is if I use the joystick in the android menu before every using the touch screen, it disables the touchscreen response/capabilities and focuses purely on the joystick. This isn't the worst thing in the world, but the joy stick is overall not efficient and makes it hard to navigate through the number of menus the android headunit has. The last time I used it I mainly just accidentally hit it .

So I am assuming simply restarting the car and not starting with the joystick resolved the issue on it's own. I haven't had the problem repeat enough to confirm my suspicion though.

I will note: That regardless, I can launch apple carplay by simply plugging my phone in after starting the car. And everything functions find. It is more annoying then it is a problem when touch-screen doesn't work [which seems to be a rare user-driven occurance].

My "next" issue is the camera is kind of stretched. Wondering how I can make that not the case

Also the homescreen of the unit shows miles remaining [in the gas tank]. Mine just shows 0. I have seen other users with similar headunits that show the correct number. I have no idea how to populate that field accurately. It's strange because the odometer software on the tablet seems pretty responsive in-itself ha! No biggie though because I really only use carplay.
Old 09-14-20, 08:57 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

So my belief on joystick use has been debunked...

Touch screen randomly stopped working [always on startup NEVER while I am driving] again.

Made sure to start the car and not touch the joy stick at all and touch screen just simply did not work. I kicked it back to my seller with a video to see what they think.
Old 09-30-20, 05:48 PM
KBBK
Driver School Candidate

Default CarPlay

UPDATE!!!!!!

This is an update for everyone following, probably the most important one yet!

The unit works amazingly well! It is crisp, it is very attractive, and it is quality. The factory OS loads at normal speeds [5 seconds ish?] The android OS takes literally 10 seconds to load which is nothing.

Apple carplay works flawlessly through the factory USB cable using the adapter I posted previously, and touch screen now seemlessly works on the tablet [I have NO idea how this was fixed, it just started working]. Regardless, I am extremely happy with the product.

Here is a link that I purchased from: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...15a82fc2NsFAzv I messaged the supplier and specifically stated I wanted the following specs

Resolution: 1920x720p
Ram: 4gb
Cpu: 8cores
Rom: 64gb
Operating system: Android 9 [I found out it is android 7.1, which is the highest standard available for our vehicles so no big deal].

Time for the review: This is VERY easy to install, it is plug and play on all accounts, I did not plug in the microphone as there is really no need to, I did however install the speaker and gps antenna, they both rest behind the head unit [they have sticky tape to set them firm which I did]. Regardless, the unit operates well. Apple carplay using the carlink kit [wired not wireless] works in seconds of starting the car, and using the automatic shortcut through iphone all of the sounds go through factory bluetooth with 0 issues whatsoever. It sounds crisp, it is responsive, loads fast and looks spectacular.

WARNING: The screen appears to scratch VERY easily. I am talking to the supplier about a screen protector, This unit did not have a protective film over it, or if it did it is so insanely tiny I cannot even see it or peel it. I can't wait to test this out on an actual road trip, but first impressions + 30 minutes of driving are very good so far.

Oh and for carplay: Something other carplay solutions cannot offer yet, all of the factory controls work with carplay on the steering wheel, this is huge! If I hit the call button Siri comes up, if I change tracks the song changes. Overall I am satisfied.
I’ve been following this thread and decided to purchase this for my 2016 RX 350 (non-navigation version — hated the smaller screen) but for some reason I cannot get CarPlay to start up. Is there anything special that needs to be done?
Old 10-03-20, 08:58 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

@KBBK you need an after market-apple carplay dongle [not just the new headunit]

Also I am sad to report that I am still having some issues. While the headunit in general is great, the touchscreen has stopped working again. I believe it's the LVDS cable or the screen digitizer.... I don't know if I should take it to local audio repair shops to see if they can do anything or just ship the unit back to China and hope they fix it or replace it. Keep in mind I absorb the cost of shipping regardless...
Old 10-05-20, 08:31 AM
KBBK
Driver School Candidate

Thanks @Alphapidge for some reason they didn’t include it but now they’re going to send to me. Sorry about the touchscreen issue. It’s things like that which made me a little apprehensive about getting it knowing their warranty setup but I really wanted a CarPlay solution plus larger screen. Good luck on getting your issue resolved.

Quick Reply: New Android headunit