RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Android headunit

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 11:47 AM
JPAutoTech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who have posted to this topic, lots of great info here. I love my 2015 F Sport...but the head unit definitely needs an upgrade. I've recently installed a Sony XAV-8000 in my 08 Acura TSX, I've got to get that Android Auto/CarPlay in my RX. I've seen the usual suspects mentioned in this thread and others here on the forum...GROM, Beat Sonic, Alibaba.

I recently found the following:

https://www.cruxinterfacing.com/listings/acplx-12z/

I searched the forum and found no info. Anyone familiar with Crux Interfacing? Are they new to the Lexus head unit game?

Thanks
Old 11-14-20, 12:38 PM
miketv84
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Alphapidge
Hey everyone!

I came across this and wanted to see if anyone else has looked into it.

https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/blog/lexus...oid-head-unit/

As far as I can tell, the headunit keeps all normal functions and adds a little more to the display including size. I am moreso interested in it being an android operating system meaning we could use apple-carplay on it with ease "Although I need it clarified that the MOUSE would function while using apple carplay".

Thanks!
Hey so you ended up using Alibaba or dvdgpsnav. I was looking for an android unit for my audi q5. Had the same concerns as you though dvdgpsnav does have a paypal option and they have responded to all my emails. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-15-20, 03:13 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by miketv84
Hey so you ended up using Alibaba or dvdgpsnav. I was looking for an android unit for my audi q5. Had the same concerns as you though dvdgpsnav does have a paypal option and they have responded to all my emails. Thanks for your help.
I used Alibaba, the unit I got was defective. With the touch screen not working at all. I am still using this unit, while attempting to secure another one from dvdgpsnav.
Old 11-28-20, 03:34 PM
perezdr
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I used Alibaba, the unit I got was defective. With the touch screen not working at all. I am still using this unit, while attempting to secure another one from dvdgpsnav.
Stay away from DVDGPSNAV. They will not scam you or steal your money during the purchase process, but if the equipment fails, you are in big trouble. They will do a basic troubleshooting sending instructions or updates via WhatsApp, but when everything points at equipment failures, they will literally disappear! Google DVDGPSNAV reviews and see. The reviews on their actual website are fake. I’m hoping I can save some people the trouble I had since past months.

The following users liked this post:
Mathewmm (08-07-21)
Old 11-30-20, 09:00 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by perezdr
Stay away from DVDGPSNAV. They will not scam you or steal your money during the purchase process, but if the equipment fails, you are in big trouble. They will do a basic troubleshooting sending instructions or updates via WhatsApp, but when everything points at equipment failures, they will literally disappear! Google DVDGPSNAV reviews and see. The reviews on their actual website are fake. I’m hoping I can save some people the trouble I had since past months.
Thank you for the warning! I actually misspoke, I am getting the new headunit from Navihua through Alibaba, which is the manufacturer or reseller that dvdgpsnav uses if I am not mistaken.
KauaiLexus (11-23-22)
Old 12-25-20, 05:47 PM
coljaboy
Driver School Candidate

Hey @Alpharidge (and other's that have come across this thread),

Few q's:
Looks like there is a unit from AutoTec too, is this still in line with what you said on how most units come from the same manufacturer but through different distributors?
My 2011 RX 350 head unit/radio has been having some spooky issues and two shops now have said they think it's internal issues, so hoping to not have to swap it with something that's just as old as what's going out, so have started looking at 3rd party units, but don't want two screens and want to retain original mouse control and steering wheel controls, do you think this is possible? Looks like this will work but who's to say. Looking at your Alibaba link right now, 4x4 shop and this autoTec site seem to be the only other options.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Last edited by coljaboy; 01-02-21 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-21-21, 07:32 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Hey everyone! Here is an update!

@coljaboy AutoTec is the same product [almost], I would not use them over beatsonic [Eric has AMAZING customer support].

As for my headunit, the headunit from Navihua came in and it works flawlessly. I have used it for over a month and I must say, having apple carplay is great for city driving. I must warn everyone you absolutely NEED to put a 10.25 inch screen protector on your head unit [if you get one]. The screen they have on it is extremely weak. Wiping it down with a clean microfiber cloth will leave scratches all over it, and obviously it being touch screen you will periodically need to wipe it down. Save yourself the frustration, put a nice screen protector on it.

Regardless, it works great! I love that it is duo operating system. If anyone figures out how to have it actually speak directions to you [via bluetooth] while in apple carplay please let me know. Right now my podcasts and music and everything works fine via bluetooth using apple automation, but I have no tackled the navigation.
KauaiLexus (11-23-22)
Old 01-21-21, 07:55 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey everyone! Here is an update!

@coljaboy AutoTec is the same product [almost], I would not use them over beatsonic [Eric has AMAZING customer support].

As for my headunit, the headunit from Navihua came in and it works flawlessly. I have used it for over a month and I must say, having apple carplay is great for city driving. I must warn everyone you absolutely NEED to put a 10.25 inch screen protector on your head unit [if you get one]. The screen they have on it is extremely weak. Wiping it down with a clean microfiber cloth will leave scratches all over it, and obviously it being touch screen you will periodically need to wipe it down. Save yourself the frustration, put a nice screen protector on it.

Regardless, it works great! I love that it is duo operating system. If anyone figures out how to have it actually speak directions to you [via bluetooth] while in apple carplay please let me know. Right now my podcasts and music and everything works fine via bluetooth using apple automation, but I have no tackled the navigation.
Glad it is working out for you. I've been trying to read this thread but too much to go through. I have a 10 RXh with the Nav screen and definitely want Android auto. Will your unit work? Could you share a link to the exact one you purchased and to the screen protector? Also what other parts did you need and maybe a link to those? Would love to see some pictures also. Thanks.
Old 01-21-21, 08:23 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NickSP
Glad it is working out for you. I've been trying to read this thread but too much to go through. I have a 10 RXh with the Nav screen and definitely want Android auto. Will your unit work? Could you share a link to the exact one you purchased and to the screen protector? Also what other parts did you need and maybe a link to those? Would love to see some pictures also. Thanks.
Sure! Here is a link to the Navihua headunit: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...3cb42fc27bQy4l

Here is a link to the screen protector I used [fits perfectly]:
Amazon Amazon

Here is a link to a USB adapter cable [this allows you to route one of the USB ports into the factory usb port found in your center console, assuming the 2010 has the same port my 2014 has, it's nice for keeping the phone hidden]:
Amazon Amazon

Here is a link to the carplay adapter:
Amazon Amazon
[works perfectly!]

The headunit works with android auto built into it. If you want to use carplay you will need to get the carplay adapter! Mine is set up so it's completely integrated into the car [or so it appears], as my phone is connected with the hidden USB port in my center console.
KauaiLexus (11-23-22)
Old 01-22-21, 07:05 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Sure! Here is a link to the Navihua headunit: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...3cb42fc27bQy4l

Here is a link to the screen protector I used [fits perfectly]: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a link to a USB adapter cable [this allows you to route one of the USB ports into the factory usb port found in your center console, assuming the 2010 has the same port my 2014 has, it's nice for keeping the phone hidden]: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a link to the carplay adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 [works perfectly!]

The headunit works with android auto built into it. If you want to use carplay you will need to get the carplay adapter! Mine is set up so it's completely integrated into the car [or so it appears], as my phone is connected with the hidden USB port in my center console.
Thanks a lot for the links. I'll definitely check those out.
Old 02-14-21, 05:56 AM
mitnits
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation guidance and radio at the same time?

Hi all

Questions for people who bought this unit

From reading this thread, looks like this HU relies on Lexus system for the radio - right? If so, can I listen to the radio *and* get the voice guidance from the navi? (even better - I want to hear the radio, and SEE navigation, and hear the navigation guidance when it's given)

Same question from other perspective - I understand that BT phone needs to be paired with Android HU and not with the Lexus system - so the same question applies - will this mute the radio for incoming calls? Will this pause media playback on Android (like, idk, Spotify) for incoming calls?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-21, 02:49 AM
Fraidegout
Driver School Candidate

Here is a link to the screen protector I used [fits perfectly]:
Amazon Amazon

Here is a link to a USB adapter cable [this allows you to route one of the USB ports into the factory usb port found in your center console, assuming the 2010 has the same port my 2014 has, it's nice for keeping the phone hidden]:
Amazon Amazon

Here is a link to the carplay adapter:
Amazon Amazon
[works perfectly!]

Hi! I just bought a used 2014 rx 350 and like many others on this thread, I am looking to replace its sluggish infortainement system. How do you like your current system compared to the ones you owned prior ? I have a few other questions that come to mind:
1. Ease of installation: Any splicing or major cable rerouting ?
2. Can you use the factory mic?
3. steering wheel, ac controls, volume ****, control joystick, etc...still work okay ?
4. Does the factory backup camera still work with the provided harnesses ?
5. Being touchscreen, is it within reach or do you have to lean wayyy forward ?

Lastly, any chance you could provide a few pictures and/or a short video of the unit in use ?

Thank you kindly!
Old 02-23-21, 03:42 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Fraidegout
Hi! I just bought a used 2014 rx 350 and like many others on this thread, I am looking to replace its sluggish infortainement system. How do you like your current system compared to the ones you owned prior ? I have a few other questions that come to mind:
1. Ease of installation: Any splicing or major cable rerouting ?
2. Can you use the factory mic?
3. steering wheel, ac controls, volume ****, control joystick, etc...still work okay ?
4. Does the factory backup camera still work with the provided harnesses ?
5. Being touchscreen, is it within reach or do you have to lean wayyy forward ?

Lastly, any chance you could provide a few pictures and/or a short video of the unit in use ?

Thank you kindly!
1.: Installation is incredibly easy, you only need remove the original head unit and the factory stereo when wiring. No cable splicing involved as the headunit comes with a wiring harness. It's plug and play.
2.: Yes you can use the factory mic
3: Yes all of the factory controls work excellent [do not expect joystick to work well in the android operating system, it *works* but I prefer the touch screen strongly. However, the headunit has the factory operating system AND android operating system, swapping between the 2 is very easy with the push of the button.
4: Yes the factory back up camera works, I am considering getting a new one just to have the guidelines, but regardless it all works well
5: It's surprisingly comfortable to use the touch screen, you will have to lean *a little* depending on how far back you have your seat, but the head unit is not recessed into the cubbie that the original unit sits in.

I will post some videos/pictures soon to this thread so everyone can see.

Overall: I am incredibly satisfied with this headunit. Everything works flawlessly except for one "minor" inconvenience. The USB adapter is a MUST as it allows you to use your factory USB port in the center console.
-When using bluetooth automation [automatically having your phone swap to bluetooth once carplay is started], the map audio is gone. <- not a big deal for me but some people like to hear directions, if anyone can figure this out it would be great
-Also when accepting phone calls, I have to go back and tell it to route my call through the car, or it will go straight to my cellphone.

Overall, these are all minor issues, everything works well
Old 02-24-21, 03:37 AM
Fraidegout
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. This is incredibly useful and certainly very encouraging to hear considering how much of a letdown the factory infotainment system is for a luxury brand.
Just a few clarifications regarding the issues you pointed out.
For the first one, let's say you are on google maps and the gps is active, are you saying that you will not hear the gps directions from the car speakers ?
For the second one, using the same example let's say you are on google maps and you get a phone call , are you saying that you can pick up the call using the steering wheel answer function but the audio/voice portion of the call will it go straight to your phone and not through the car speakers / mic instead of the headunit? This means that you have to grab your phone and change the audio to the car infotainment system after picking up the call correct ?

Thank you again !
Old 03-04-21, 09:15 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

1.: Installation is incredibly easy, you only need remove the original head unit and the factory stereo when wiring. No cable splicing involved as the headunit comes with a wiring harness. It's plug and play.
2.: Yes you can use the factory mic
3: Yes all of the factory controls work excellent [do not expect joystick to work well in the android operating system, it *works* but I prefer the touch screen strongly. However, the headunit has the factory operating system AND android operating system, swapping between the 2 is very easy with the push of the button.
4: Yes the factory back up camera works, I am considering getting a new one just to have the guidelines, but regardless it all works well
5: It's surprisingly comfortable to use the touch screen, you will have to lean *a little* depending on how far back you have your seat, but the head unit is not recessed into the cubbie that the original unit sits in.

I will post some videos/pictures soon to this thread so everyone can see.

Overall: I am incredibly satisfied with this headunit. Everything works flawlessly except for one "minor" inconvenience. The USB adapter is a MUST as it allows you to use your factory USB port in the center console.
-When using bluetooth automation [automatically having your phone swap to bluetooth once carplay is started], the map audio is gone. <- not a big deal for me but some people like to hear directions, if anyone can figure this out it would be great
-Also when accepting phone calls, I have to go back and tell it to route my call through the car, or it will go straight to my cellphone.

Overall, these are all minor issues, everything works well
I'd really like to see photos of it installed. How do you reach the screen? Where does this headunit mount? if it mounts where the stock Nav screen is in the 3rd Gen RX, it would be really far away to reach!

As for being "easy to install", I'm not so sure about that. I've already installed the Beat-Sonic unit, and taking apart the 3RX dash to get at the stock stereo is not what I would call easy. The screen is easy though.

Do you have to get to the stock stereo to install the NaviHua unit?

Last edited by AlgoTrader; 03-04-21 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: New Android headunit