RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Android headunit

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-21, 02:05 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

1): Extremely satisfied 6 months later. I very regularly use apple carplay, it works phenomenally.
2): When I receive a call, I have to pull my phone out of the center console, and tell it to connect to the car audio. <-- I am sure this can be automated some way but I don't receive many calls driving so hasn't been in issue.
The following users liked this post:
Bojiboy (10-31-21)
Old 09-03-21, 03:20 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Devil stop tempting me! Leave me alone I just did all the suspension work, I said I wouldn’t waste money for a while lol 🥺
Old 09-03-21, 07:21 PM
Shivo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphapidge
1): Extremely satisfied 6 months later. I very regularly use apple carplay, it works phenomenally.
2): When I receive a call, I have to pull my phone out of the center console, and tell it to connect to the car audio. <-- I am sure this can be automated some way but I don't receive many calls driving so hasn't been in issue.
Great thanks.. you’re going to make me pull the trigger! Lol
Old 09-04-21, 12:58 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

At this point, I think we are better off just installing a separate mirroring screen (larger than a phone) that plugs into a phone, for CarPlay or Android Auto, and mounting it to the dash, next to the factory Nav screen, using something like a ProClip. Because the Beatsonic unit is not working, this is where my phone is mounted now using the ProClip mount, and I've been using my phone as a navigation screen. I'm am pretty reluctant to throw away another $600 on another unproven "experiment".

There's been multiple requests to see photos of the unit after installation, along with video of using the unit, showing us how well it integrates with the OEM joystick or other electronics.

Yet no one that bought the NaviHua system has posted anything. I've already wasted $600 on the Beatsonic system and it doesn't work.

Last edited by AlgoTrader; 09-04-21 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-04-21, 01:34 PM
Shivo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlgoTrader
At this point, I think we are better off just installing a separate mirroring screen (larger than a phone) that plugs into a phone, for CarPlay or Android Auto, and mounting it to the dash, next to the factory Nav screen, using something like a ProClip. Because the Beatsonic unit is not working, this is where my phone is mounted now using the ProClip mount, and I've been using my phone as a navigation screen. I'm am pretty reluctant to throw away another $600 on another unproven "experiment".

There's been multiple requests to see photos of the unit after installation, along with video of using the unit, showing us how well it integrates with the OEM joystick or other electronics.

Yet no one that bought the NaviHua system has posted anything. I've already wasted $600 on the Beatsonic system and it doesn't work.
i was actually going to get the Vline with the last group buy but after reading all the complaints I decided not too.
There’s a guy on YouTube that does an 18 minute review video on the YZG unit for his Lexus RCF. I checked alibaba and they have YZG units with inbuilt CarPlay for the RX. That’s the one I might go with if decide to get one.
Old 09-04-21, 06:15 PM
mtellup
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Beatsonic unit I have in my 2013 RX350 seems to have settled down and is working well for me about 95% of the time. The only issue I have is that once in a while the display does not work after starting the car. I have a workaround that is 100% effective, but it does require stopping and re-starting the car along with a delay in restarting.

I was about to return my unit to Beatsonic and just decided to roll with it for a while. The issues seemed to abate with no additional firmware updates. I have no idea why. I drive my car maybe every other day. I cannot remember the last time I had an issue with the display.

Admittedly, 95% isn't ideal and having to restart the car isn't either, but when necessary, that process works for me.
Old 09-05-21, 09:44 AM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Originally Posted by Shivo
i was actually going to get the Vline with the last group buy but after reading all the complaints I decided not too.
There’s a guy on YouTube that does an 18 minute review video on the YZG unit for his Lexus RCF. I checked alibaba and they have YZG units with inbuilt CarPlay for the RX. That’s the one I might go with if decide to get one.
I found his video. He mentions a 5min boot time. He also shows that the screen OS sometimes freezes (it does so while he he demo-ing it), and he has a reset button that (I assume) cuts power to the unit momentarily, so he doesn't have to stop/restart his engine. This is part of the issues I have with my Beatsonic. Both of these issues are deal killers for me.

I guess I should look into installing a kill button on my Beatsonic unit for the same purpose.
Old 09-05-21, 09:47 AM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Originally Posted by mtellup
The Beatsonic unit I have in my 2013 RX350 seems to have settled down and is working well for me about 95% of the time. The only issue I have is that once in a while the display does not work after starting the car. I have a workaround that is 100% effective, but it does require stopping and re-starting the car along with a delay in restarting.

I was about to return my unit to Beatsonic and just decided to roll with it for a while. The issues seemed to abate with no additional firmware updates. I have no idea why. I drive my car maybe every other day. I cannot remember the last time I had an issue with the display.

Admittedly, 95% isn't ideal and having to restart the car isn't either, but when necessary, that process works for me.
Needing to stop/restart the engine is a no go for me. This has major safety issues (for example, freeway driving), as well as time issues (I can't afford delays).
As I posted above, I will look into installing a kill button for my Beatsonic so it can be rebooted while driving.
Old 09-05-21, 12:16 PM
mtellup
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Needing to stop/restart the engine is a no go for me. This has major safety issues (for example, freeway driving), as well as time issues (I can't afford delays).
As I posted above, I will look into installing a kill button for my Beatsonic so it can be rebooted while driving.
Just to clarify, if the display is blank it is at start up. At no other time is there an issue. The restart involves about a 15 second delay.
Old 09-05-21, 01:11 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

You could always wire a inline switch to under the seat or the center console. That way you could just trigger the unit on/off while driving rather than having to shut the car on and off.
Old 10-10-21, 12:15 PM
Amiez
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still happy with new Android HU?

After 8 mos. of using the new Android head unit, please advise if you are still happy with performance.

My last car was a 2019 Honda Insight Touring with all the bells and whistles. I just inherited my 2015 Rx 350 with the premium package and no navigation.

I am became used to having a touch screen, lane departure assist, 450-Watt Premium Audio System with equalizer, auto start, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated leather seats, sun roof, and navigation. I loved my car but sold it for the Lexus.

The Lexus is beautiful but definitely not loving the antiquated infotainment system, and the mouse is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm looking for a add on head unit to piggy back on the OEM infotainment system. I went to Installations Unlimited and was told I can get a navigation system installed but can't get an updated infotainment system.

If I buy one of the recommended head units I then have no idea how to get it installed.

I'm also leary of buying a stereo system from an unreputable source.

Thanks for any feedback.

1.: Installation is incredibly easy, you only need remove the original head unit and the factory stereo when wiring. No cable splicing involved as the headunit comes with a wiring harness. It's plug and play.
2.: Yes you can use the factory mic
3: Yes all of the factory controls work excellent [do not expect joystick to work well in the android operating system, it *works* but I prefer the touch screen strongly. However, the headunit has the factory operating system AND android operating system, swapping between the 2 is very easy with the push of the button.
4: Yes the factory back up camera works, I am considering getting a new one just to have the guidelines, but regardless it all works well
5: It's surprisingly comfortable to use the touch screen, you will have to lean *a little* depending on how far back you have your seat, but the head unit is not recessed into the cubbie that the original unit sits in.

I will post some videos/pictures soon to this thread so everyone can see.

Overall: I am incredibly satisfied with this headunit. Everything works flawlessly except for one "minor" inconvenience. The USB adapter is a MUST as it allows you to use your factory USB port in the center console.
-When using bluetooth automation [automatically having your phone swap to bluetooth once carplay is started], the map audio is gone. <- not a big deal for me but some people like to hear directions, if anyone can figure this out it would be great
-Also when accepting phone calls, I have to go back and tell it to route my call through the car, or it will go straight to my cellphone.

Overall, these are all minor issues, everything works well
Old 10-23-21, 06:33 PM
Emanrx85
8th Gear

Default Head unit connectors

I just received the navihua unit and I think they sent the wrong harness. The radio connectors don't match my head unit but the connectors from my OEM screen fit the screen they sent. I tried it with just the two connectors up top and the screen didn't turn on so I assume there needs to be a connection to the radio unit.

From what I've read on this thread it sounds like the connectors have been straight plug and play for everyone so far so I'm wondering now if there's something unique about my setup. I have the factory nav w/ 6-cd and subwoofer in the back. Here's what it looks like behind the HU

there's the main plug in the bottom right, the top right appears to be a fiber connection, then the blue thing (no clue what that is).

The other 2 are hazard lights and some other smaller unit that's attached to the bottom of the head unit.

Is this what you guys have?
Old 10-25-21, 01:31 PM
Amiez
Driver School Candidate

Default Head Unit for 2015 Rx 350

I'm not seeing head unit for 2015 Lexus RX 350. would this Infotainment system work for my 2015 Rx?

Old 10-25-21, 09:25 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Default I'll be installing Android radio in my sister's Rx350

A gift for

Last edited by verly6565; 10-26-21 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-29-21, 03:11 PM
Amiez
Driver School Candidate

Default T'EYES CC3 2015 Lexus Android headunit...

Hello.

I reached out to T'EYES for assistance to ensure I get all cables, etc. needed.

I found the perfect Android head unit with touchscreen. Here's the link to T'EYES:
https://www.teyes.com.au/products/le...40709887262916

Link to the review:

PREMIUM Teyes CC3 Head Unit - Truly AMAZING - Apple Carplay SPDIF Coaxial and Optical Digital Audio

The following users liked this post:
Bojiboy (10-31-21)

Quick Reply: New Android headunit