RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Android headunit

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-23, 01:11 PM
maxxed
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
would this unit work on stock navi and backup camera?
from the guys at dvdgpsnav, they say everything works. Stock navi is replaced obviously with the new one thats included in the headunit. I might pull the trigger once I find someone to install it for cheap.
Old 03-07-23, 10:52 AM
BikeGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm here to talk about my experience with the T'eyes CC3 installation and compatibility with my new
to me 2010 Lexus RX 350, my RX is pretty basic, no NAV or mouse/joystick on the center console, this
feature alone may be the deciding factor if the teyes unit will work in your RX.

Where to purchase:

After deciding I wanted to give the Teyes a shot I found the unit for sale on a few websites, one
being Teyes AU which is a re seller and where you'll pay the most money, though you may receive the
best after purchase support. I found the unit cheaper on aliexpress and decided to go that route,
the device shipped and was on the way, it eventually stalled I think even before it left China and
when tracking the unit I was presented with a message that said returned to sender.. what?? further
digging I was able to track the package through whatever company shipped the package and used google
translate, the message was something about a vaccine which was super bizar. Anyhow I requested with
aliexpress to get my money back because the seller would not respond to my messages. I then found
the unit on Alibaba and having not used them before it was a slightly different experience than I
was expecting, when trying to check out and purchase the unit a message was sent to the seller and
then the seller started asking me questions to confirm fitment, after fitment was confirmed he sent
me an invoice which I could pay. I think the unit ended up being a bit cheaper from alibaba, but
they also had a payment processing fee of $23.52 canadian which I couldn't seem to get around unless
I wanted to wire the money. I paid and the unit was shipped a few days later and arrived 3 weeks to
a month later.

The install:

The difficulty will really depend on you and your experience with this type of work, I've read some
say it's really easy all plug and play, initially the process felt quite daunting seeing how many
connectors there were and let me be clear there is zero instructions so figure it out yourself
it's really not that bad though, take your time with it. If you are connecting the teyes backup
camera there will be some soldering involved just so you know that item is not completely plug and
play.

Functionality:

This was my biggest concern and the reason is that the HVAC controls need to function correctly as
the changes will be displayed on the android screen. Out of the box almost everything appeared to
function correctly except one feature the "recirculating air" button, the green light was always on
and I knew something was not right because when using the front defrost the recirculating air light
turns off, this is pretty typical functionality in most vehicles, if I pressed the mode button and
say have air being blown towards me, I would cycle the recirculating button and the light would
always stay on but I would hear a change, the popup UI that is displayed when you press any of the
HVAC buttons would not be displayed and when using any of the other HVAC buttons the UI would popup
and you'd see that recirculating was shown as being turned on. With that I knew the button worked
though would always display as being turned on ie air would be recirculating.

Teyes has a whatsapp number to receive support from the engineers. I figured I'd try to reach out
through alibaba first and I already had messaging going from when I purchased the unit and while the
messaging back and forth was a little slow they did start to assist me with the issue. They wanted
me to record videos on my phone of the problem and send them via wetransfer, we went back and forth
for a while and I was concerned that nothing was happening as the replies started becoming slower
and slower, eventually they sent me a canbus update and asked that I turn on a setting that places a
running log on the screen and that I should cycle the problem button and record the log on my phone.
They sent me another canbus update which has resolved the issue and the recirculating toggle button
works as it should and displays the popup ui.

Steering wheel controls work, volume up and down, mode button launches teyes voice which I've
disabled, up down buttons will switch the track on whatever audio application you are using.
Telephone buttons appear to work, haven't used them much yet as I'm still playing around with all
the features, I can say they are functional.

Radio, in regards to the radio app on the device the FM channels had a lot of static to which I
assumed the RX's antenna was not being utilized as the antenna plug on the android unit was not
being utilized. I did a little research and found an adaptor that you plug into the factory antenna
to standard din plug and now the radio is a lot clearer, considerable less static.

Unit Quirks:

The original radio still kinda functions, on the teyes unit there is an aux app to which if you open
it you can turn on the original radio, your pre programed stations still work, though you can't see
the frequency. I imagine this works as well for the CD side of things, I don't have CD's and won't
be testing it.

Volume control, the volume buttons on the steering wheel control the volume on the teyes unit, you
have the statard android volume popup ui when adjusting, where it gets weird is that you also have
the volume dial on the original head unit above the HVAC controls, this does not control the
androids volume, the quirk is that if this volume is too low and the android higher it changes the
sound quality being played, you have to find the sweet spot, you can see the level of the volume
dial in the vehicle settings app.

The right side **** that controls base, treble etc, you still have access to those adjustments
inside the vehicle settings app as well, I've kept them all at zero and use the included equalizer
app as it is a lot more powerful.

Overall experience:

There is a tone of settings on this unit that will require tweaking for the best user experience,
XDA's forum and if you can register on 4PDA and use google translate in your browser are great
resources to learn about the unit. Google maps works great and I'm currently using youtube music for
streaming, endless options there though for streaming.

To even consider this teyes unit you'll need to figure out if your RX is compatible, from what I can
tell is that if your menu application looks like xyz then your RX is not compatible. You also need to
choose between A or B configurations Alibaba will walk you through all this though if that's where
you decide to purchase the unit from.

Any questions I'll be around.
Old 05-31-23, 08:13 AM
salrando
2nd gear

Question Android Auto

Hi All:
I am currently looking for a way to upgrade my sound system on my 2010 RX350 to one that supports Android Auto. I have contacted several stereo installation spots and they have told me that it is a challenge to get that on my particular model. The last place told me if I found a compatible system online, they'd be willing to install it. Anyone out there have any success getting this done and happy with the product? Any product links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sal
Old 05-31-23, 01:57 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,164 Likes on 992 Posts

Welcome to CL. This has been discussed a lot over the years, which is probably why nobody responded.
There are many older threads on this very subject.
Use the search bar and enter the term Android to find many of them. Also try the term Grom in another search as some have installed that device.
Old 06-12-23, 01:17 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi!

It's been a long while since I posted but I actually installed an aftermarket headunit that runs off of android. I am now 2 years post that moment and I still use carplay regularly in my Lexus! Feel free to check my profile for the forum posting.

The headunit itself was purchased from Alibaba but can be found from plenty of Western Vendors from what I have seen as of late.
Old 06-13-23, 01:49 PM
BikeGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had good luck with my Teyes CC3 unit. You can find some compatibility images on Aliexpress or Alibaba which will dictate if your 2010 model is compatible with the Teyes unit.
Old 08-10-23, 03:55 AM
mikepapakilo
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Alphapidge
Hi!

It's been a long while since I posted but I actually installed an aftermarket headunit that runs off of android. I am now 2 years post that moment and I still use carplay regularly in my Lexus! Feel free to check my profile for the forum posting.

The headunit itself was purchased from Alibaba but can be found from plenty of Western Vendors from what I have seen as of late.
Hi Alphapidge, I can’t seem to find the unit you purchased on Alibaba or other Western vendors. Could you point me in the right direction (preferably a Western vendor Thanks!
Old 09-12-23, 09:48 AM
Toreroguy
10th Gear

Following, as I'd love Apple car play in my 2010 RX.
Old 10-14-23, 04:33 PM
sylster73
1st Gear

Thoughts on this? never heard of this one.

https://www.ramsvika.com/products/an...x350-2010-2015

S.

Old 10-15-23, 05:55 AM
Finalist0946
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have a 2013 RX 450h. I'd love to update the infotainment system BUT (and I do emphasize BUT), when i read about all the time and effort spent going back and forth with China and hassles getting certain functions t work, it really kills my interest (as does the thought of pulling out my dash since my local dealer told me what a PITA it is when I had a "whirring sound" coming from the CD player and couldn't get it to stop - I passed pm spending the $$ to find the problem).

Plus, the headunit is "buried" deep in the dash - it would pose a real problem using a touch screen based on how far forward you'd need to lean to use it (and safety concerns doing so).

All that said, is it really worth the trouble, esp. with this year model?
The following users liked this post:
Alexbenz (01-22-24)
Old 10-15-23, 09:39 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 417 Likes on 333 Posts

To me, it is NOT worth the money or the trouble. Automobiles offer very poor listening environments. As a fairly serious audiophile, when I want to listen to music I do so on my massive vintage home audio system in my dedicated music room. A much more rewarding experience every time.
Old 10-15-23, 03:30 PM
Finalist0946
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a vintage audiophile myself so I get your point.
Old 10-15-23, 07:59 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RX in NC
To me, it is NOT worth the money or the trouble. Automobiles offer very poor listening environments. As a fairly serious audiophile, when I want to listen to music I do so on my massive vintage home audio system in my dedicated music room. A much more rewarding experience every time.
I hear you.

I have a very great sounding modern home audio setup with some Polk tower speakers and Polk 10in subwoofer. It makes listening to music from any other source like my RX very hard. However, it is never a waste of money trying to get the best music experience possible from your RX if it will be a place you spend a great deal of time in such as long commutes to work. If you only use the RX for quick drives around town then it may be a waste of money trying to update the audio system.
Old 11-03-23, 02:52 PM
TerryMars
7th Gear

Hi @Alphapidge , hope you're going well.
I'm also considering buying this Navihua Android infotainment system for my IS 300h of 2016, and I would like to know if yours still working fine after all this time?
Also, if anyone else installed the same module, I'm really interested by some feedback. A lot of videos shows these modules shining & working well just after installation but I'm always afraid of chinese stuff that doesn't last long.
Thanks for your replies!
Old 11-14-23, 02:45 PM
TerryMars
7th Gear

Anybody? Some feedback would be highly appreciated!

Quick Reply: New Android headunit