RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Android headunit

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 06:45 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New Android headunit

Hey everyone!

I came across this and wanted to see if anyone else has looked into it.

https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/blog/lexus...oid-head-unit/

As far as I can tell, the headunit keeps all normal functions and adds a little more to the display including size. I am moreso interested in it being an android operating system meaning we could use apple-carplay on it with ease "Although I need it clarified that the MOUSE would function while using apple carplay".

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
paparon60 (02-13-22)
Old 06-15-20, 06:57 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Adding and update,

after further research I found what appears to be the same headunit from a much more reputable company

Link: https://4x4shop.ca/product/2012-2015...sb-multimedia/

Questions I asked the first company and the answers I received.
-Are there any discounts?: Yes if you pay with Western Union or Bank Transfer you get 15 percent off (this was a HUGE red flag for me, company is based in China it appears, and cannot actively offer customer support to the states, easily could walk with money if something went wrong)
-Do the factory controls work? Yes, all factory controls are 100% functional,
-Do the factory controls work with apple carplay? No, when using apple carplay you would use touchscreen controls
-Does sound emit normally through the speakers when using apple carplay? Yes, and phonecalls would work normally through speakers as well
-What is the price?: $599 for the unit if you have a mouse, $50 for apple carplay dongle, $68 shipping through DHL
-Does the back-up camera work normally? Yes
-Can I add gridlines to my back up camera? If you purchase the new camera [$25] yes
-Can I add a 360 camera? Yes

After that email thread and my research leading me to 4x4shop.ca I am now going to be in contact with 4x4 for more information on the infotainment system they offer. If the screen is set inside of the cubbie/tunnel then touch-screen for applecarplay does not make sense at all. Their unit appears to be the exact same with the only difference being 64gb of rom instead of 32gb [still 4gb ram]. I will update this thread accordingly. Also 4x4 appears to charge $717 out the door as well but I will ask all of the same questions and more accordingly.
The following 3 users liked this post by Alphapidge:
EdwardJd (04-14-21), GCLexus (05-22-24), Stoodo (06-16-20)
Old 06-16-20, 05:33 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Update on the head unit:

I decided to go with the headunit from 4xs4shop mentioned above. This unit cost me $740 out the door. Standard shipping [cheapest option] was $30. One additional USB extended cable was $10, and the headunit itself was $700. It should arrive within 7-10 business days.

I also found this exact headunit for other model vehicles here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hop-ca-66.html

Keep in mind when reading through the is-3rd gen forum about this headunit that it is 100% relevant as this is almost the identical software. I.e, the entire android setup, specifications, and usability are identical. This is really what gave me the push and confidence to pursue this unit. I will update this thread accordingly after I receive and install said unit.
The following users liked this post:
GCLexus (05-22-24)
Old 06-17-20, 02:33 AM
djovaniii
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey,

Can you please share feedback when you get it.
I am most interested in the sound quality
I have Grom unit, but really not happy with it, and considering to return it.

Old 06-17-20, 06:43 PM
Geebr200
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

So for android auto and carplay, its touch screen only?
Old 06-17-20, 07:03 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Geebr200
So for android auto and carplay, its touch screen only?
Well, originally through the first company that seemed to be the case. Through 4x4 that seems to not be the case. '

Here is the situation: It seems that 4x4 and many of these companies that I am finding are merely distributors of this exact infotainment system. If you look up "10.25 Lexus rx350 infotainment system" you will find this exact tablet, in many different mountings for different Lexus vehicles with the exact same software. The only reason I picked 4x4shop is because the company is based in Canada, actually has positive reviews, and other Lexus members recommended them due to their customer support. To my knowledge, it seems the factory controls WILL work with apple carplay but at this point, I have to actually have it to confirm it.

Because it is quite honestly confusing on EXACTLY what I will be getting. Although I have ordered my unit, I am in communication with the seller "4x4" someone named Felicia if I am getting what appears to be a photoshopped headunit on their website, or the much sleeker and better-mounted headunit I have found on other sites. I will update this course accordingly of course. Sorry I lack more information!
Old 06-18-20, 10:03 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Tracked down the original manufacturer. It appears to be this unit right here: http://www.navihua.com/product/show_product.php?id=420

Adding another update: I thought it was add the navihua advert only showed the rx270 and not 350 as a fit. As 4.4 shows the 350 is a fit. Well I received an email today, and apparently the RX350 is a unique model. So they are making modifications of some sort to fit my vehicle. I will update everyone accordingly! I do not know what the modifications are yet, or how long it will take. I am assuming this is a mounting modification, as long as controls are still up to par I am happy.

Last edited by Alphapidge; 06-18-20 at 11:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alphapidge:
paparon60 (01-28-22), pfloyd (08-15-20)
Old 06-20-20, 08:04 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

UPDATE: Important****

It is incredibly hard to get a response out of this shop. Last I heard was they needed to do modifications and the engineer was working on it.

They will not tell me what modifications, they will not give me a timeline. I am going to call the shop and demand information. I have already paid in full for the headunit and site checkout explicitly says it fits a 2014 Lexus rx350 with navigation/mouse controls with no side buttons. I am mostly peeved that my emails are going un-responded as I simply want to know what is actually going on. Will keep y'all updated.

Last edited by Alphapidge; 06-20-20 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-07-20, 05:31 PM
cp3o
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Android 10.25

Originally Posted by Alphapidge
UPDATE: Important****

It is incredibly hard to get a response out of this shop. Last I heard was they needed to do modifications and the engineer was working on it.

They will not tell me what modifications, they will not give me a timeline. I am going to call the shop and demand information. I have already paid in full for the headunit and site checkout explicitly says it fits a 2014 Lexus rx350 with navigation/mouse controls with no side buttons. I am mostly peeved that my emails are going un-responded as I simply want to know what is actually going on. Will keep y'all updated.
That sucks I put one on my 2015 rx350 with nav
And am having bad engine whining through the speakers and car play issues caller on the other end hears every word repeated
Also it says it's Android 9 and it's really 7.1
I wonder if it's 4gb instead in 8gb
Anybody else have any of these problems
Stated above
Old 07-08-20, 09:06 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cp3o
That sucks I put one on my 2015 rx350 with nav
And am having bad engine whining through the speakers and car play issues caller on the other end hears every word repeated
Also it says it's Android 9 and it's really 7.1
I wonder if it's 4gb instead in 8gb
Anybody else have any of these problems
Stated above
The order was actually cancelled through 4x4 they could not solve whatever issue they were having. I decided to go through dvdgpsnav which is the original posting. However, I am finding hiccups with this company as well.

As far as I am aware because it is an android headunit you can use an app that will automatically direct all of your vehicles sounds through bluetooth even while in carplay, including using bluetooth for factory calling. Unsure though.
Old 07-08-20, 01:08 PM
cp3o
Driver School Candidate

The order was actually cancelled through 4x4 they could not solve whatever issue they were having. I decided to go through dvdgpsnav which is the original posting. However, I am finding hiccups with this company as well.

As far as I am aware because it is an android headunit you can use an app that will automatically direct all of your vehicles sounds through bluetooth even while in carplay, including using bluetooth for factory calling. Unsure though.
hmmm really let me know if you can and how
Old 07-09-20, 11:37 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

hmmm really let me know if you can and how
Would you mind posting some photos of your unit?
Old 07-10-20, 05:40 PM
cp3o
Driver School Candidate

Would you mind posting some photos of your unit?
Sure what all do u want to see
where the mic is and gps I mounted? The USB ports
Old 07-12-20, 06:45 AM
cp3o
Driver School Candidate

Sure what all do u want to see
where the mic is and gps I mounted? The USB ports

Old 07-15-20, 03:12 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Finally got mine ordered, I verified with them multiple times the following specifications, I was assured this was correct but we will see.

Ram: 4gb
Rom: 64gb
Operating system: True Android 9, not android 7 spoofed, [will verify with CPUZ when I get it].
Screen resolution: Native 1920x720

I will need to order a carplay dongle as well, I will do that from Amazon once this infotainment system ships.

Quick Reply: New Android headunit