RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New guy with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20 | 06:31 AM
S65guy
Rookie

Default New guy with some questions

Hi All,

I picked up a 2013 F Sport a little over two weeks ago. I have three inquiries with regards to the vehicle below.
The vehicle as 43K miles on it.

A few issues I hope to resolve:

1) TPMS light came on last night. Checked tire pressure, and they are 32 psi all around. I suspect the TPMS is malfunctioning.
2) The trunk does not automatically open via pressing the black button by the trunk lid. Pressing the button only opens the hatch but does automatically raise it. Opening the trunk from inside the vehicle or via the fob works fine.
3) There is noticeable creak sound when going over bumps or uneven payments. It mainly noticeably at low speeds. It sounded like it was coming from the shocks, but after doing some quick research, it was mentioned online that it could be the hood bumps that need to be adjusted.

Your insight is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-09-20 | 08:53 AM
Clutchless

Welcome to CL. I will try to answer your questions.
1. Your TPMS batteries have probably worn out in one or more of the tires. If your vehicle shows individual tire pressure you should be able to identify which one. You should be able to click through the menus to find tire pressure. A shop can scan them on each tire to identify the bad one or determine if the battery is dead.
However, it is best to replace all of them as the others will fail soon. The life expectancy for them is 7 to 10 years. Last year I replaced them on my HS250h but the ones on the RX are still okay. Costco has the best price and will replace all 4 for about $250. Other shops will want over $400 to $550. Its worth joining Costco just to replace the TPMS. I suspect BJs or Sams Club may offer similar pricing if they are closer to you. Depending on how much tread is left on your tires it may be a good idea to replace your tires at the same time and save on the labor as they have to remove then reinstall and balance your tires to replace the TPMS. I always recommend getting a wheel alignment after replacing the tires.

2. That is normal for the trunk or rear hatch.

3. Creaks are extremely difficult to diagnose online. Try getting your hood stops adjusted or do it yourself. I think they are just rubber things you can turn to raise or lower. You can see them on each side of the engine bay when the hood is open. If uncomfortable doing this yourself try a local body shop. It only takes a couple of minutes to do.
Old 07-09-20 | 09:44 AM
S65guy
Rookie

Thanks for your informative feedback, it's appreciated.

1) I will look into the Costco option. The tires are brand new Michelin Latitude, so they don't need to be replaced. I was under the assumption that the tire did not need to be removed to replace the TPMS. I thought they deflate the tire, prop it to the side and access the TPMS without entirely removing the tire.

2) Interesting that you mentioned this behavior is normal because my dad has a 2015 Rx350 as well. When he depresses the button under the trunk lid, the hatch opens and raises automatically. I can only automatically open the hatch via the fob or from inside the cabin.

3) I had initially adjusted my hood stops down a few days ago to see if that would mitigate the noise. I may need to reverse the direction and raise them to see if that's a resolve.
Old 07-09-20 | 10:05 AM
Non
Intermediate

Originally Posted by S65guy

2) Interesting that you mentioned this behavior is normal because my dad has a 2015 Rx350 as well. When he depresses the button under the trunk lid, the hatch opens and raises automatically. I can only automatically open the hatch via the fob or from inside the cabin.
My 2015 manual says this is something that only a dealer can enable or disable for you (page 839)

Check your own manual!

Last edited by Non; 07-09-20 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-09-20 | 10:45 AM
S65guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Non
My 2015 manual says this is something that only a dealer can enable or disable for you (page 839)

Check your own manual!

Thanks for this bit of information. Will do.
Old 07-10-20 | 11:59 PM
djovaniii
Rookie

For the TPMS, just give a try to reset it before you go for a service.
When in park, hold the button for 5 sec, and the light should start flashing.
What I found out is that during the night if the weather gets cold, the tyre pressure goes down, and when you start the car the pressure is low so the light come on.
It will not go away on its own so you really have to reset it.
Hope hat helps
Old 07-11-20 | 09:29 PM
salimshah

A little while ago, I bought a set of tires from Costco. If you direct them to replace TPMS, they will do so but as a normal practice they just use a s service kit.

Just fill the tires to the recommend pressure [cold tires] and if the light does not g away then try the reset procedure. It seems owners keep it +2~4 psi above the recommended pressure.

Salim