RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Replaced fob battery 3x still low battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-20, 04:41 PM
cruzer23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced fob battery 3x still low battery

I've replaced my key fob battery 3 times now and it lasts exactly 24 hours and then says it's low and stops working

Is there any options other than getting a new fob? Are there places that might be local that can repair?

Can the dealership maybe fix without charging me $100+?
Old 07-23-20, 05:30 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Few things first .. make sure you are dealing with ONE key-fob ... move all others out of range.
One the shell and remove the battery. Clean up all buttons to make sure there is no lint catching the movement of the buttons.
Make sure you are using fresh stock for the replacement battery. These have shelf life. Also verify the battery is the right type. Must match the number or listed as equivalent to the one in the owner's manual [call Lexus parts if you need to]. Matching to the one you take out, does not guarantee you are using the the right battery.
Clean both surfaces and use a glove when installing the new one [fingers leave grease]

Alternative

Use the other key-fob to help diagnose/replicate the problem.

Salim
Old 07-24-20, 02:14 AM
cruzer23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Few things first .. make sure you are dealing with ONE key-fob ... move all others out of range.
One the shell and remove the battery. Clean up all buttons to make sure there is no lint catching the movement of the buttons.
Make sure you are using fresh stock for the replacement battery. These have shelf life. Also verify the battery is the right type. Must match the number or listed as equivalent to the one in the owner's manual [call Lexus parts if you need to]. Matching to the one you take out, does not guarantee you are using the the right battery.
Clean both surfaces and use a glove when installing the new one [fingers leave grease]

Alternative

Use the other key-fob to help diagnose/replicate the problem.

Salim
thank you for offering help. I feel like the odds of 3 batteries from 3 stores being old would be like hitting the lottery

I only have one fob unfortunately. I'll double check the battery according to the manual but it matches the Google search
Old 07-24-20, 03:21 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

For me, over time the metal contacts where the battery go weren't as springy as they once were, preventing a good connection. I was able to pull up on the metal pieces where the battery go to make better contact. It lasts for a few months before I have to go in and manipulate the connection again.

My symptoms before were constant low battery, and sometimes not able to detect the fob at all. (Unless placed on the start button)
The following users liked this post:
cruzer23 (07-24-20)
Old 07-24-20, 06:50 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

Outside chance you actually do have the second fob but it is hidden somewhere inside the car?
If it has a low battery it would trigger the warning but might be strong enough to confuse the cars
response to the known and fully charged fob...
Old 07-26-20, 12:42 PM
cruzer23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stoodo
For me, over time the metal contacts where the battery go weren't as springy as they once were, preventing a good connection. I was able to pull up on the metal pieces where the battery go to make better contact. It lasts for a few months before I have to go in and manipulate the connection again.

My symptoms before were constant low battery, and sometimes not able to detect the fob at all. (Unless placed on the start button)
these are the exact symptoms i have. i tried pulling up on the metal pieces but it didnt help. took it back to the last store that put in a battery and they replaced it again for free. worked for 2 days and now doesnt work again

it seems like the fob is either draining it fast or shorting the batteries out. they dont measure 3v only like 1.5