RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Looking at a 165k mile 2013

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 08:19 PM
jwminzen
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking at a 165k mile 2013

Am I crazy for contemplating purchasing with this much mileage? I think the price is fair at 15k and is being sold from a Lexus dealership. It is a one owner. Maintenance records show it was recently in for a water pump, tensioner and idler pulley. Brand New tires and brakes. Car is in phenomenal shape. It actually looks like a 50k mile car not one that has 165k on the clock. I have experience with the extremely reliable 4.7 2uzfe, but do not know enough about the 3.5. If it comes down to it, I will ask to speak to the previous owner, as it was a trade in.

It would also be a family hauler with a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Is the backseat cramped for kids that age? It has the premium package. Thanks for help.
Old 08-27-20, 04:35 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

That's a lot of miles. I would want to put the car up on a lift and get a good look at the suspension components.
Old 08-27-20, 07:59 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

The car may be good for another 165k miles, but only if it was taken care of. With this mileage, I would pay a mechanic to check the vehicle out thoroughly. You need a mechanic that will spend an hour on it, and do an "In-depth inspection.
Find out if the transmission fluid was ever changed on it.
There is plenty of room in the back even for adults, your kids will be comfortable.

Old 08-27-20, 04:05 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jwminzen
Am I crazy for contemplating purchasing with this much mileage? I think the price is fair at 15k and is being sold from a Lexus dealership. It is a one owner. Maintenance records show it was recently in for a water pump, tensioner and idler pulley. Brand New tires and brakes. Car is in phenomenal shape. It actually looks like a 50k mile car not one that has 165k on the clock. I have experience with the extremely reliable 4.7 2uzfe, but do not know enough about the 3.5. If it comes down to it, I will ask to speak to the previous owner, as it was a trade in.

It would also be a family hauler with a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Is the backseat cramped for kids that age? It has the premium package. Thanks for help.
I recently bought a 2010 Rx 450h with around 105k miles for much less than that. The car had an impeccable service record. The price sounds a bit high. For reference I'm in the Los Angeles area.
Also go on Lexus drivers website and plug in the VIN. It'll give you everything performed by Lexus on the car.
Old 08-27-20, 05:50 PM
jwminzen
Rookie

Originally Posted by NickSP
I recently bought a 2010 Rx 450h with around 105k miles for much less than that. The car had an impeccable service record. The price sounds a bit high. For reference I'm in the Los Angeles area.
Also go on Lexus drivers website and plug in the VIN. It'll give you everything performed by Lexus on the car.
Yeah the used car market is a bit inflated at the moment. I saw the car in person today. Really could not believe the condition. Literally looks new. I talked to the sales manager at the Lexus dealer. He said 99% of the time a car like this with the miles it has would be sent to auction immediately, but this one was in such immaculate shape, one owner, ect, that they had to put it on the lot. I do find it odd that there are only 5 service records for the car. It was obviously maintained though, I just need to find out where.
Old 08-27-20, 05:56 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Yeah the used car market is a bit inflated at the moment. I saw the car in person today. Really could not believe the condition. Literally looks new. I talked to the sales manager at the Lexus dealer. He said 99% of the time a car like this with the miles it has would be sent to auction immediately, but this one was in such immaculate shape, one owner, ect, that they had to put it on the lot. I do find it odd that there are only 5 service records for the car. It was obviously maintained though, I just need to find out where.
Where did you only see 5 service records? Did you take the VIN number and enter it into the Lexus drivers website? Try that. It'll show you every Service performed by a Lexus dealer.
Old 08-27-20, 08:28 PM
jwminzen
Rookie

Where did you only see 5 service records? Did you take the VIN number and enter it into the Lexus drivers website? Try that. It'll show you every Service performed by a Lexus dealer.
Yes, via the Lexus driver's site and also carfax
Old 08-28-20, 07:57 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Yes, via the Lexus driver's site and also carfax
So are you buying the car? Without proper records you have to assume that you'll need to change the spark plugs, transmission fluid and other minor things. Check the shocks for leaks. Maybe someone maintained it at a place that does not report to Carfax. But get it thoroughly checked out.
Old 08-29-20, 04:58 AM
jwminzen
Rookie

So are you buying the car? Without proper records you have to assume that you'll need to change the spark plugs, transmission fluid and other minor things. Check the shocks for leaks. Maybe someone maintained it at a place that does not report to Carfax. But get it thoroughly checked out.
I have reached out to dealer to have them request maintenance records from previous owner.
Old 08-29-20, 06:30 AM
jwminzen
Rookie

I have reached out to dealer to have them request maintenance records from previous owner.
Old 08-29-20, 08:10 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

​​​​​​ Good luck with that because once the deal is done it's entirely up to the ex owner to provide that. I'm surprised there's only 5 records.
Old 08-29-20, 10:59 AM
jwminzen
Rookie

​​​​​​ Good luck with that because once the deal is done it's entirely up to the ex owner to provide that. I'm surprised there's only 5 records.
Im confident the car was serviced, just not a a shop that reports to Carfax. The car is in too good of shape to been neglected mechanically.
Old 08-29-20, 12:05 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Im confident the car was serviced, just not a a shop that reports to Carfax. The car is in too good of shape to been neglected mechanically.
If everything checks out then go for it. I love my 450h. Beautiful ride and very quiet. Just change the spark plugs and drain the transmission fluid. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
jwminzen (08-30-20)