RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Thule Motion XT XXL for 2015 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 12:27 AM
EdwardJd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thule Motion XT XXL for 2015 RX350

Hi,

I intend to get a Thule Motion XT for my 2015 RX350 F-Sport (with manufactured roof rack & cross bars). Via Thule web site, it recommends Motion XT XXL for my car. However I'm not really sure it can fit to my car or not. Please let me know if any of us have ever install Thule Motion XT XXL for RX350 similar to my car or not. I'd appreciate about that.

Thank you
Edward
Old 09-09-20, 10:45 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If you use the SEARCH FEATURE using the term THULE you will find many threads where members discuss Thule roof racks etc. Have you tried checking https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=thule+motion+xt+xxl

When I entered your car in the database and searched Thule Motion XT it showed up. You can call them to confirm fit.
The following users liked this post:
EdwardJd (09-09-20)
Old 09-09-20, 11:53 AM
EdwardJd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot Clutchless. Honestly I tried to search as much as I can, but I haven't seen any use of Thule Motion XT XXL (the size important because it's longer) in 2015 RX350. Some people use the shorter version of Thule Motion XT (i.e. M, L, etc), but not XXL. I already saw those posts that you mentioned above, but not for 2015 RX350. Other Lexus SUV (not RX350) are longer than RX350 & that's why they don't have any difficulties in installing Thule Motion XT XXL (the longest cargo box of Thule Motion XT). All post in ETrailer don't say yes or no. They just recommend to measure the front clearance (from the first cross bar to the rear end with hatch door.
Old 09-10-20, 07:48 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,020 Posts

You should just call up the folks at etrailer as they have access to larger databases of fitment than you could find and have more experience with fitment than is published on the site. They have an interest in making sure what they sell will fit your vehicle.

All of the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450h have the exact same body. If it fits one year it will fit any of those model years.
EdwardJd (09-10-20)
Old 09-12-20, 11:15 AM
EdwardJd
Driver School Candidate

I just received answer from ETrailer for my question "Will the Thule Motion XT XXL Fit on a 2015 Lexus RX350 F-Sport with Factory Crossbars?"
Below are screenshots of that answer & the original link from ETrailer. Hope someone who has the same interest as I can figure out that Thule Motion XT can fit to car or not.

Will the Thule Motion XT XXL Fit on a 2015 Lexus RX350 F-Sport with Factory Crossbars?
Old 04-12-21, 10:29 AM
Shnewzhere
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

EdwardJd, did you end up getting the Thule and fitting it on your RX350? I just got the Thule Force XT XL and I still need an inch of clearance more to have the trunk not hit it. Going to take apart the bars and see if there is any more adjusting I can do later this week.
Old 04-12-21, 11:41 AM
EdwardJd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shnewzhere
EdwardJd, did you end up getting the Thule and fitting it on your RX350? I just got the Thule Force XT XL and I still need an inch of clearance more to have the trunk not hit it. Going to take apart the bars and see if there is any more adjusting I can do later this week.
I purchased Thule Evo Wingbar 47" (118cm) & Thule 710400 foot pack (Roof Racks Evo Raised Rail from Amazon UK) to use with my Thule Motion XT XXL & it worked perfectly. When installing the foot pack, I tried to moved the two front foot bases forward as much as I could.That helped me to move my Motion XT XXL forward as much as possible so I could open the rear door without any problem (i.e. it didn't hit my Thule Motion XT XXL at all) & the bottom of my Thule Motion XT XXL didn't hit or touch the RX antenna. I also tried to replace Thule 710400 foot pack with Thule Crossroad Railing Rapid System Footpack (also bought form Amazon UK). They worked more better than because of their small foot print & they didn't interfere with my current factory crossbars on my RX. Therefore I can move the Thule Motion XT XXL forward about 1" or 1 1/2". However I'd prefer Thule 710400 foot pack because of its appearance. At present, I use Thule Motion XT XXL & Thule Hyper X (1 1/2" shorter than Motion XT XXL) perfectly.

Your Thule Motion XT XL is 7" shorter than my Thule Motion XT XXL so I don't think you have any problem if you can adjust your crossbars or you can try what I did. Anyway, try to move your factory crossbars first to see how.
Old 04-12-21, 12:14 PM
Shnewzhere
Rookie

Thanks for the reply! I may have to purchase that if I can't get this to fit on the factory cross bars without the trunk hitting it. Thule said it should fit though, so hopefully it's a user error! I have the Thule Force XT XL. It wouldn't matter which size I got, the clasps are still all the same positioning.
Old 04-12-21, 01:03 PM
EdwardJd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shnewzhere
Thanks for the reply! I may have to purchase that if I can't get this to fit on the factory cross bars without the trunk hitting it. Thule said it should fit though, so hopefully it's a user error! I have the Thule Force XT XL. It wouldn't matter which size I got, the clasps are still all the same positioning.
As I said, try to move your front factory crossbars first (by adjusting *****). In my case, after moving my front crossbars as much as I can, my RX rear door hit the Thule Motion XT XXL & the bottom of Motion XT XXL hit & scratched the RX antenna. At that time, I thought if My Thule Motion were shorter a few inches, it would be find. Your Thule Motion XT XL is 7" shorter than mine, so I think your Motion XT XL should be fine with your RX.

I noted that buying Thule on Amazon UK is a lot cheaper than Amazon (US): more than 50% cheaper than. The down size of Amazon UK is that delivery usually is slower: my first order for Thule Evo Wingbars took 10 days, the 2nd order for foot pack took 3 weeks & the 3rd for Railing Rapid System Foot pack took almost a month. Anyway I'm not hurried so slow delivery is not an issue to me. The item no of Thule for Europe areas is different from Thule for America, but Thule products can be used interchangeably.
Old 04-13-21, 04:16 PM
jby25
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Thule Aero crossbars (50") and rapid foot packs with Thule Evolution 1600

cargo box with plenty of space behind the cargo box and the liftgate. If you use the c-clamps and move it towards the front you should have sufficient space.

Old 05-02-21, 05:29 PM
Shnewzhere
Rookie

Here's what I did to get my Thule Force XT to fit on my Lexus.
gnieboer (05-26-21)
Old 05-25-21, 06:16 PM
gnieboer
Driver School Candidate

Question Factory Crossbar stopper distance?

Hello,

Just purchased the factory cross-rails for our 2010 RX450H AWD and installed exactly per the instructions here.
Then went to REI and picked up a Thule XT XL and installed it.
The issue we see is that the cross bars are awfully close together given the length of the XL, and it doesn't seem as stable is it should. The REI guys said we needed to remove the 75mm rubber stoppers between the cross rail and end cap in order to give us more room between the crossbars and a more stable base for the XL. That all makes common sense because physics.
However, I can't help but notice that the crossbar instructions specifically said to put in the rubber stoppers where they are, so I'm hesitant to deviate from that using just my common sense, because sometimes I'm not as smart as I think I am.

Can anyone comment on removing the 4 rubber stoppers, trimming it down from 75mm to maybe 25mm, and sticking back in? Has anyone done it and had any issues (or done it and not had any...)

Thanks.