RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The other Japanese luxury crossover

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-20, 06:45 PM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Default The other Japanese luxury crossover

FX35/37 FX50

Opinions? Have any of you considered purchasing?

Old 09-19-20, 06:46 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Personally I don't look at Nissans due to their mediocre reliability overall.
Old 09-19-20, 07:16 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

Terrible gas mileage, but better handling than the RX.
Old 09-19-20, 08:20 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

I have a friend with one (I believe it is a 2012 model) and he loves the handling and performance. I'm not sure about the build quality, though.
Old 09-19-20, 08:52 AM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

If you were looking for a used RWD SUV, would you prefer the FX over the ML or X5?
Old 09-19-20, 09:28 AM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

I humbly disagree with the title. Nissan is a "sporty" brand but does not enter the 'luxury' category. Even Lexus is at the lower end of Lux.

Many brands have produced one or two models in their line-up to be considered as "lux" and at the same time the 'lux' brands have produced models where the logo is the only lux feature.

Salim
Old 09-19-20, 10:03 AM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

We are all certainly entitled to our opinions! Luxury in the auto segment can be subjective. Someone who’s acquainted with Rolls Royce and Bentley may have a different standard of luxury to someone who isn’t.

Someone who has spent their entire life driving an old Lada or riding on public transport may even consider a Toyota Corolla to be a luxury because it is so far out of reach for them.

In this case, the FX was Infiniti’s answer to the RX, ML, and X5, all of which I consider to be luxury.
Old 09-20-20, 08:35 AM
salimshah

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PDITTEL
We are all certainly entitled to our opinions! Luxury in the auto segment can be subjective. Someone who’s acquainted with Rolls Royce and Bentley may have a different standard of luxury to someone who isn’t.

Someone who has spent their entire life driving an old Lada or riding on public transport may even consider a Toyota Corolla to be a luxury because it is so far out of reach for them.

In this case, the FX was Infiniti’s answer to the RX, ML, and X5, all of which I consider to be luxury.
Props for handling a disagreement in commendable fashion.

Vehicles are individual machines and a good brand can have lemons and a less known brand can have a vehicle which can run for ever without maintenance. So I will stay with generalities and brand/model discussion.

RX has been Lexus home run and many more for providing a Luxury SUV at the right time in late 90s. First one to market was Benz but they offering was not very successful. In all vehicle designs there are major factors; comfort, performance, reliability, cost, intended market factors and they push and pull the product in different directions. Lexus compromise on all of these ended with an RX ... a gold standard. Infinity has put more emphasis on performance and if that is important to you then go for that. But in general, it will always be compared to the gold standard, at the point of purchase, ownership experience and at the end at point of disposal.

To get a comparison with other than RX, a better place to get an input would be the infinity forum.

At the end I would say, your opinion should matter the most. Do with your money, what you think you will enjoy the most. Just don't overspend and make sure you pay the market price in your area. If you don't like it in couple of months, just sell it close to the market price. It will be few hundred dollars depreciation as long as the vehicle is previously owned.

Salim

The following users liked this post:
RadiantX45 (04-26-21)
Old 04-26-21, 08:32 PM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

I will always own an RX, nothing compares. I just wish it were as fun in the corners as it can be in a straight line sometimes. That's why the FX intrigues me so, but the Infiniti brand definitely steers me away. You're right to say it is not on the same level as Lexus, I think that would become pretty apparent after a couple months of ownership.

If you could have any car in the world what would you have @salimshah ?
Old 04-26-21, 11:51 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by PDITTEL
I will always own an RX, nothing compares. I just wish it were as fun in the corners as it can be in a straight line sometimes. That's why the FX intrigues me so, but the Infiniti brand definitely steers me away. You're right to say it is not on the same level as Lexus, I think that would become pretty apparent after a couple months of ownership.

If you could have any car in the world what would you have @salimshah ?
There is not a single vehicle that can fulfill all the desires/wish and practically every year the manufacturers keep coming up with new offerings.

I would leave the exotics out .. tempting as they might be, but I have not driven them period, so I cant compare/rate/select. Love looking at the pictures though or see them on the road. There are quite a few in Austin. They are a beast to keep under control and riding around town on un-even city streets would be awful [sour grapes maybe].

If I suddenly get exactly 100K to blow, I would swap the SC for LC.
100K-200K ...Porsche

For performance I would gyrate towards Porsche and Tesla ... EVs. Not impressed by Infinity, BMW or Benz [Few Benz do tug my heart though ..

Mercedes-Benz 500K Kompressor B

].

If I stop dreaming and be practical and make compromises [comprehensive: specially my wallet] I am utterly satisfied with 95 SC400 coup [tastefully modernized mods ... looks], 98 GS400 [with suspension-exhaust modifications .. fair-performance] and RX450H [inter and intra city ... utility]. I just choose the keys based on the need or desire.

Salim
My post is not intended to put down any other make model and are simply 'my' choices. YMMV.

Last edited by salimshah; 04-27-21 at 07:48 AM. Reason: adding my favorite
RadiantX45 (04-27-21)
Old 04-27-21, 04:47 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Guess I'm already in auto heaven.
I got an old pickup and an old jeep.
My wife lets me ride in the Lexus if I keep my mouth shut.

Last edited by Raoul; 04-27-21 at 04:50 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Raoul:
RadiantX45 (04-27-21), RX in NC (04-27-21), salimshah (04-27-21), WHLex4 (04-30-21)
Old 04-27-21, 05:03 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

The vehicle I would most like to own? I'll take Steve McQueen's restored-to-perfection 1956 Jaguar XK SS, now owned by the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles. McQueen affectionately named it "The Green Rat". Current estimated value? Around $20 million....
RadiantX45 (04-27-21)
Old 04-27-21, 09:13 AM
mtlrx
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Owned a Nissan 20 years ago, never again.............piece of crap and service was pathetic