RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Purchased Used 2013 RX350 AWD - with 85,517 miles, 1 owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-20, 09:14 PM
kjkcjk
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Purchased Used 2013 RX350 AWD - with 85,517 miles, 1 owner

Had new Brakes put on and 2 new Back Tires (not sure why not the fronts) for $19,500 - having never owned a Lexus before would like to know what to expect as far as ongoing maintenance needs at this age (basically 7 years old now) with 85K miles - but it sure seems the car was maintained by the local owner and gingerly driven at 12,500 miles a year (interior is literally like it was new and so is the exterior - neighbor thought we bought brand new car)

Anything to know about the RX350 as far as big hit items to be aware of that could go wrong based on age (years) of operation compared to the mileage this has presently of 85K miles? Nice to find out this model didn't have a timing belt, and instead a timing chain.

Hoping it can be the wife's daily driver and it will do more like 16K miles a year and then maybe in 5 years or so, I will takeover and drive it into the ground and I only would be doing 8K miles a year at that point.

Is this car really more reliable than others out there - it sure seems incredibly more sound than any other car we've owned (Ford Escape (was a basket case of issues), Kia Sorento (rode like a lexus but had recurring electrical issues), Honda Pilot (2 of them both 200K miles - pretty flawless and just worked liked you'd expect mostly))
Old 09-18-20, 10:48 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Congratulation!

Please read up the owners manual. List of recommend Lexus service items are in the warranty & maintenance booklet. You can always do more.

Make sure you have at least 2 set of keys.

Salim
Old 09-19-20, 07:19 AM
allendsup2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kjkcjk
Had new Brakes put on and 2 new Back Tires (not sure why not the fronts) for $19,500 - having never owned a Lexus before would like to know what to expect as far as ongoing maintenance needs at this age (basically 7 years old now) with 85K miles - but it sure seems the car was maintained by the local owner and gingerly driven at 12,500 miles a year (interior is literally like it was new and so is the exterior - neighbor thought we bought brand new car)

Anything to know about the RX350 as far as big hit items to be aware of that could go wrong based on age (years) of operation compared to the mileage this has presently of 85K miles? Nice to find out this model didn't have a timing belt, and instead a timing chain.

Hoping it can be the wife's daily driver and it will do more like 16K miles a year and then maybe in 5 years or so, I will takeover and drive it into the ground and I only would be doing 8K miles a year at that point.

Is this car really more reliable than others out there - it sure seems incredibly more sound than any other car we've owned (Ford Escape (was a basket case of issues), Kia Sorento (rode like a lexus but had recurring electrical issues), Honda Pilot (2 of them both 200K miles - pretty flawless and just worked liked you'd expect mostly))
Congratulations. I also have a 2013 RX 350 with 91000 currently. Is 90k service performed on the car when you bought it? If not, then that is one big expense but you can reduce it by changing cabin air filter (13$ from walmart. Easy to change. Dealer charge 60-80$ for this), Engine air filter (I think it is 20-30$), Major part of 90k is just oil change and brake fluid flush so those two cost 200-250$ total. After that, at 100k coolant change...120k spark plug replacement. Check owner's manual for big items. Other than that, not much expense unless something is broken.

When they put the new brakes on, did they also replace rotors or just resurfaced it? If they replaced rotors too then you will not need to worry about brakes for at least 50-60k miles (may be more depending on driving). I am also planning to keep the car for another 5 years, so I went ahead and got all four pads/rotors replaced (i had warped rotors causing vibration and pads were close to 3-4 mm). It does drive very well and really comfortable.

If this is AWD, please check the treads depth on both front and rear. It is recommended that there is not more than 2/32nd difference between front and rear otherwise it causes problems. Also better to have same brand, same model tires. Did you buy it from Lexus dealer or someone else?
Old 09-19-20, 07:21 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Welcome to CL. The search feature is your friend as most things you will want to know have probably already been covered.

My only maintenance recommendation is to get the transmission fluid changed if it has not yet been done. If the place you go to says it is sealed, then keep asking until you find a place that knows how to do it. A Toyota dealer can do all the maintenance and is usually cheaper than a Lexus dealer, but a good independent shop is a better bet. Note that the Toyota Highlander is a mechanical twin which is why the Toyota dealer can work on the RX. If it is All Wheel Drive you should also change the Transfer Case Fluid and Rear Differential Fluid. If the brake fluid is over 3 years old get that changed too.
Enjoy your new ride!
The following users liked this post:
RX10 (10-03-20)
Old 09-19-20, 08:25 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 431 Likes on 345 Posts

Leaking rear shocks are a well-known issue, usually long before your current mileage. Perhaps they have already been replaced. Keep an eye on them.
Old 09-20-20, 07:05 PM
kjkcjk
Rookie

It did have 2 sets of keys - initially we bought it and afterwards, we were like wait, is there a 2nd key, and they were like 'hmmm, we will need to check' and I was for sure thinking they'd say 'Nope!'... but when we picked it up the sales guy left the 2nd key in the car for us. Curious - do you say that just because it would be nice to have, or because if you don't have one and need one you can't get it, or that it is super expensive to get? I thought it was cool that it had a physical key embedded in the remote. I wowed the the wife with that one... haha.
Old 09-20-20, 07:20 PM
kjkcjk
Rookie

Originally Posted by allendsup2
Congratulations. I also have a 2013 RX 350 with 91000 currently.
Is 90k service performed on the car when you bought it? If not, then that is one big expense but you can reduce it by changing cabin air filter (13$ from walmart. Easy to change. Dealer charge 60-80$ for this), Engine air filter (I think it is 20-30$), Major part of 90k is just oil change and brake fluid flush so those two cost 200-250$ total.
After that, at 100k coolant change...120k spark plug replacement. Check owner's manual for big items. Other than that, not much expense unless something is broken.

When they put the new brakes on, did they also replace rotors or just resurfaced it? If they replaced rotors too then you will not need to worry about brakes for at least 50-60k miles (may be more depending on driving). I am also planning to keep the car for another 5 years, so I went ahead and got all four pads/rotors replaced (i had warped rotors causing vibration and pads were close to 3-4 mm). It does drive very well and really comfortable.

If this is AWD, please check the treads depth on both front and rear. It is recommended that there is not more than 2/32nd difference between front and rear otherwise it causes problems. Also better to have same brand, same model tires. Did you buy it from Lexus dealer or someone else?

It wasn't mentioned about a 90K Service, but when I contacted Lexus service about this car and its current state, they said the next big service would be 100K miles and they recommend the differential fluid to be changed for the Front end - $80, and for Transfer ? and it would be $240 Total for both of those. They said the color should be golden and not black - and they said there would be no Transmission service needed - that the Lexus RX has pretty minimal service needs - oil and brakes and the brakes they said would cost $330 for Front Brakes and $330 for BAck Brakes and should last about 50K miles depending upon your driving.. and they charge like $80 for oil change and $22 for tire rotation - and that should be every 10K miles....(i guess instead of some vehicles at 5K miles?)
Old 09-21-20, 06:41 AM
nsnqst
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations on your new RX! You’ll love having it and hopefully be a Lexus person from here on!

One thing to remember, and even the Lexus dealerships may not tell you this, is that oil change (always use full synthetic) is every 10,000 miles; not 5,000. Some will put a reminder sticker for 5,000 (even 10,000). If the change oil lamp comes in after 5,000 miles, just reset it (check YouTube videos).

Other than that, like others have said, follow the owners manual and DIY if you can.

Enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
RX10 (10-03-20)
Old 09-21-20, 03:44 PM
liu328
Driver School Candidate

Congratulations on your new ride! Brake fluid should also be on your list to be checked/changed/flushed.
Old 09-23-20, 09:29 AM
dmask0
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those seem like very decent dealer services prices - in case you're wondering. I know prices vary across the country, but I'd be pretty happy for my dealer to charge $22 for a tire rotation. Mine charges $100. My oil changes are $99 with a coupon or $149 without.

You can also get all of your service at a Toyota dealer - usually for a few dollars less. I'm not sure how much less in your area, but again your Lexus service prices seem pretty great. Might be best to continue service there so you have a peace of mind and continuity of Lexus service records.

Welcome to the club, and congrats on your purchase!
Old 09-23-20, 09:38 AM
allendsup2
Rookie

It wasn't mentioned about a 90K Service, but when I contacted Lexus service about this car and its current state, they said the next big service would be 100K miles and they recommend the differential fluid to be changed for the Front end - $80, and for Transfer ? and it would be $240 Total for both of those. They said the color should be golden and not black - and they said there would be no Transmission service needed - that the Lexus RX has pretty minimal service needs - oil and brakes and the brakes they said would cost $330 for Front Brakes and $330 for BAck Brakes and should last about 50K miles depending upon your driving.. and they charge like $80 for oil change and $22 for tire rotation - and that should be every 10K miles....(i guess instead of some vehicles at 5K miles?)
These are similar rates what lexus dealer charges here in my city. 78$ for oil change every 10000 miles. 30$ for tire rotation (though my RX's tires are from Costco so free lifetime rotation and balancing. I get it done at Costco).
Brakes prices are also same. 299$ if fitting kit is not needed. With fit kit, 335$. Includes only resurfacing the rotors but not the new one.
My next service is at 100k miles. I guess its gonna cost more as coolant change and may be differential fluid.
Old 09-23-20, 09:42 AM
Richyb1
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I have an RX 400 h with 175K.. Great car, just keep oil changed. I do it every 3K, but I am old school
Rich

Old 09-23-20, 10:24 AM
miamiguy
5th Gear

Smile Teansmission Fluid flush

should be added to maintenance items.

Local Miami dealer quoted me $280 for a tranny fluid flush.

He said replace tranny fluid either 8 years or 100,000 miles for my 2012 Lexus RX 350.

BTW, don't let your RX 350 idle for long periods!

It will degrade the upper/lower radiator hoses and compromise the Toyota super long life coolant.
Old 09-23-20, 04:55 PM
liu328
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by miamiguy
BTW, don't let your RX 350 idle for long periods!
It will degrade the upper/lower radiator hoses and compromise the Toyota super long life coolant.
Really? I am not aware of that.
Old 09-23-20, 08:16 PM
kjkcjk
Rookie

Originally Posted by dmask0
Those seem like very decent dealer services prices - in case you're wondering. I know prices vary across the country, but I'd be pretty happy for my dealer to charge $22 for a tire rotation. Mine charges $100. My oil changes are $99 with a coupon or $149 without.

You can also get all of your service at a Toyota dealer - usually for a few dollars less. I'm not sure how much less in your area, but again your Lexus service prices seem pretty great. Might be best to continue service there so you have a peace of mind and continuity of Lexus service records.

Welcome to the club, and congrats on your purchase!
Ironically - when I called to inquire about what the typical repair costs are for this RX350 - I errantly called our local Toyota dealer thinking this is a Toyota..haha, not realizing there is actually a Lexus service department specifically.. the Toyota guy was like well, we can still help ya, since basically it is a Highlander and we can do a 'little' better and beat Lexus on the costs for the typical oil and what not...(and it was just a couple bucks).....but good to hear our local Lexus dealer may not be robbing their locals. The dealers we've experienced around here seem to be rip and replace vs. diagnose actual problem. In some cases that may be allright as I have the money to rip and replace or I just don't have the desire and time to have them determine if it is a certain part of some larger part that could be replaced vs. replacing the whole thing and fast..., but other times it seems just flat out wrong to go about it that way and not actually be trying to solve the exact issue at hand. Our local Honda Dealer we've caught numerous times in rip and replace instead of diagnosing and treating the specific issue. They do good actual repair work - use good parts, but you just have to know that this is what they 'could' be doing. I'm afraid many many people have zero idea that could be occurring. The local independent shops we've tried to send business to are always trying to not fix something (something squealing we get told "I wouldn't worry about it"...wtf haha, I came to you because I wanted the squeel figured out), trying to spare us some expense when I didn't ask them to do that, or suggesting to use cheaper parts they have access to where we're just wanting it to just 'work' and willing to pay to not have this be our little pet project. ...but I realize everyone is different