RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Used Car Mechanical Inspection Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 08:11 PM
RX10
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Used Car Mechanical Inspection Advice Needed

Hello CL Community.

After doing my due diligence and research I’ve decided on purchasing a used 3rd generation RX 350, I’ll be buying from a Lexus dealership with the model year too old for a certified vehicle. Probably 2010-2012 model year. I think I’m interested in third party inspection options. I don’t know of, or have a personal mechanic who is well versed in full inspections. When finding a car of interest to purchase, I’ll refer to the Car Fax report, any dealership service history, state inspection report, etc.

I wanted to get some advice regarding pre-sale mechanical inspection options.

1. I’m hesitant to go to a Lexus or Toyota dealership as it seems like they would provide a bias inspection with self serving motives and “recommended” results
2. Use a national mobile inspection service but they don’t seem to be in a position to do a thorough job as they can’t put the vehicle on a lift and inspect underside details
3. Look for an independent repair shop that would have certified mechanics on site that provide and have experience with a pre-sale inspection service and who are familiar with Lexus models
4. Any other options?

I appreciate any advice on how to best move forward. I will likely be buying locally/regionally and have flexibility in travel if necessary. I look forward to some experienced opinions and guidance in what I hope will be an exciting purchase. Thank you in advance for your time.

Old 09-28-20, 08:26 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Go on the Lexus Drivers website. A great source of info for Lexus. You'll need to become a member. It's free. Then you plug in the VIN number and it tells you all the services performed on the car by any Lexus dealer. That should give you a clear idea about the car you're interested in.
Also i don't see a Lexus dealer being biased. No reason why. On the contrary if you're buying from a Lexus dealer they'll put that car through a through inspection and you can request that info from them.
Old 09-29-20, 07:07 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

If you are in the Northern Virginia - Fairfax County - DC suburbs area, I can recommend a few reliable shops that would be able to perform your inspection. Also if in the area, which Lexus dealer are you buying from?

Is it this RX with really low miles for its age: https://www.pohankalexuschantilly.co...p=used&yr=2012

If so contact Craftsman Auto Care in Chantilly for an inspection: https://www.craftsmanautocare.com/

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-29-20 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-29-20, 02:03 PM
RX10
Driver

Hi NickSP and thanks for the reference which seems like it would be a great reference. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to sign in. After attempting several times, I get the following response....Your request to create an account was not successful. Please try again.

Any suggestions getting an account on the Lexus Drivers site would be appreciated.
Old 09-29-20, 02:08 PM
RX10
Driver

Thanks for the reply and assist Clutchless. I’m in the Williamsburg area. I saw that Pohanka vehicle online but found another one with very similar features, miles and color. I’m honing in. I really appreciate the references you provided!!
Old 09-29-20, 02:17 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX10
Hi NickSP and thanks for the reference which seems like it would be a great reference. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to sign in. After attempting several times, I get the following response....Your request to create an account was not successful. Please try again.

Any suggestions getting an account on the Lexus Drivers site would be appreciated.
it's strange. Did you go on the link below?
https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/account/register
Old 09-29-20, 04:44 PM
RX10
Driver

Yes and I received the same response. It does seem strange. Not sure what a work around might be.
Old 09-29-20, 05:24 PM
Clutchless

Post the VIN of the vehicle and one of us will search it there. Very strange you cannot create an account. Maybe they have a FAQ section.

You could try one of these shops for your inspection

Howard Motor Corporation
100 2nd St, Williamsburg, VA 23185,

(757) 253-0022

Colonial Foreign Car Service 5668 Mooretown Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23188,
(757) 565-2007

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-29-20 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-29-20, 08:46 PM
RX10
Driver

I was able to create an account on Lexus Driver. After doing so I was able to look at vehicle maintenance records which is very helpful!
And thanks for the reference to Howard Motor Corp. I’ll check them out. How do you know of them? I see online they have a strong reputation from multiple sites. This might be the shop I need. Thank you!

Last edited by RX10; 09-30-20 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-30-20, 05:38 AM
Clutchless

To locate a well-regarded mechanic anywhere in the US start with the shops recommended by listeners of the old NPR radio show Car Talk https://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files

Do an advanced search, maybe even using "Toyota" to narrow it down. Then select a few names and cross-check them on Google, Yelp, etc to confirm their current status as some of the recommendations on Car Talk are several years old.
Old 09-30-20, 06:07 AM
RX10
Driver

Thanks Clutchless! I did cross reference Howard’s and I am comfortable with their reviews and reviewers comments and experiences. Thanks again for the assist!
Old 09-30-20, 08:20 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Thanks Clutchless! I did cross reference Howard’s and I am comfortable with their reviews and reviewers comments and experiences. Thanks again for the assist!
I'm going to go against the grain here a bit. So you went on Lexus drivers right? Is the car well maintained? Is there good history you can rely on?
If you're buying the car from a Lexus dealer then why not rely on their 150 point inspection instead of relying on a 3rd party mechanic? Why not put the dealer to work and give you an inspection checklist? I don't think Lexus is that biased that they'll put a lemon on the lot and sell it to you. If they sell you a car then they'll make sure it's in a good shape to be sold.
Now if you were buying from a corner lot then yeah, I'd get an independent mechanic to check it out.
The following users liked this post:
nsnqst (09-30-20)
Old 09-30-20, 10:12 AM
Clutchless

I generally agree with NickSP's comments on new car dealers selling used cars. They only keep the best ones as they do offer warranties, even if the vehicle is not "Certified" and wholesale off the bad vehicles. Now I think RX10 said he was looking at vehicles too old to be Certified.
However, the dealer should still be able to produce the service records that we know how to get online. They should also advise what work if any they had performed, where they got the car, if it was a trade in or from an auction. Who was the original selling dealer, how many owners, etc.
And, I too want to know what kind of service history RX10 found on the vehicle he is interested in getting.
Old 09-30-20, 04:48 PM
RX10
Driver

@Nick SP & Clutchless. Hi guys and I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge and offering your opinions!! So here’s my current situation and thoughts. I’m kinda old school thinking when it comes to buying a used car which, I haven’t done in decades. So I have a cynical guard up when it comes to dealing with the used car buying process. With that said, I know this is 2020 and I’m dealing directly with a well regarded Lexus dealership which gives me some peace of mind.

I found a 2010 RX 350 in MD. After talking with the sales rep, getting a little history of the vehicle from what he knew and looking over the most recent vehicle inspection report, most recent maintenance invoice and reviewing Carfax, I was interested. Here’s where you guys on this forum helped me with the “Lexus Drivers” resource to look at the maintenance history. I never knew about that resource and mm history was not listed on Carfax. Carfax only showed initial delivery, biannual emissions, registration. one owner, personal vehicle. The sales guy never offered the entire history, only recent and the inspection report. Well, after pulling the history, the vehicle was serviced religiously at every 5K mile points with all recommended services performed. A few very minor cosmetic issues were reported and addressed as well as a couple minor mechanical issues repaired and basic maintenance issues completed.

I was interested enough to go see the car. The vehicle is absolutely beautiful, in excellent condition, and I mean exceptional condition regarding interior and exterior appearance. Hard pressed to find any worn surfaces, scratches, dings, etc. I mean this car is stunning and hard to believe it’s a 2010 with approx. 71K on the odometer. So they provided the inspection report. The only thing of “concern” is brake life which might be another 10K. All service were performed at the same dealership.

So my whole premise of getting the vehicle inspected by a third party was/is to satisfy my cynicism and provide peace of mind. Maybe it’s not necessary? I don’t know. I’m just not well versed or experienced in the luxury used car buying process. But maybe I can relax based on the car being sold at a Lexus dealership with a strong reputation and reading your opinions.

The only thing I see on the history that I don’t understand is there are notations stating “BSC - Svc Rental”. As best as I can tell, it looks like the vehicle was leased the first 4 years, then it may have been bought by that individual as it’s listed as one owner, personal vehicle. If anyone has any insights on the BSC-Svc Rental notation, that information would be helpful. Also, when I spoke with the salesman about the previous owner, he said it’s was one owner, traded the vehicle in for a 2020 model.

So, that’s MY history with the vehicle. Thoughts?
Old 09-30-20, 06:53 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

@Nick SP & Clutchless. Hi guys and I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge and offering your opinions!! So here’s my current situation and thoughts. I’m kinda old school thinking when it comes to buying a used car which, I haven’t done in decades. So I have a cynical guard up when it comes to dealing with the used car buying process. With that said, I know this is 2020 and I’m dealing directly with a well regarded Lexus dealership which gives me some peace of mind.

I found a 2010 RX 350 in MD. After talking with the sales rep, getting a little history of the vehicle from what he knew and looking over the most recent vehicle inspection report, most recent maintenance invoice and reviewing Carfax, I was interested. Here’s where you guys on this forum helped me with the “Lexus Drivers” resource to look at the maintenance history. I never knew about that resource and mm history was not listed on Carfax. Carfax only showed initial delivery, biannual emissions, registration. one owner, personal vehicle. The sales guy never offered the entire history, only recent and the inspection report. Well, after pulling the history, the vehicle was serviced religiously at every 5K mile points with all recommended services performed. A few very minor cosmetic issues were reported and addressed as well as a couple minor mechanical issues repaired and basic maintenance issues completed.

I was interested enough to go see the car. The vehicle is absolutely beautiful, in excellent condition, and I mean exceptional condition regarding interior and exterior appearance. Hard pressed to find any worn surfaces, scratches, dings, etc. I mean this car is stunning and hard to believe it’s a 2010 with approx. 71K on the odometer. So they provided the inspection report. The only thing of “concern” is brake life which might be another 10K. All service were performed at the same dealership.

So my whole premise of getting the vehicle inspected by a third party was/is to satisfy my cynicism and provide peace of mind. Maybe it’s not necessary? I don’t know. I’m just not well versed or experienced in the luxury used car buying process. But maybe I can relax based on the car being sold at a Lexus dealership with a strong reputation and reading your opinions.

The only thing I see on the history that I don’t understand is there are notations stating “BSC - Svc Rental”. As best as I can tell, it looks like the vehicle was leased the first 4 years, then it may have been bought by that individual as it’s listed as one owner, personal vehicle. If anyone has any insights on the BSC-Svc Rental notation, that information would be helpful. Also, when I spoke with the salesman about the previous owner, he said it’s was one owner, traded the vehicle in for a 2020 model.

So, that’s MY history with the vehicle. Thoughts?
It's very low miles for a 2010 so that's a great bonus to begin with. Also are you sure it's BSC and not VSC?
Did you drive the car? How does it drive? If it gives you peace of mind you could drive it to a nearby mechanic shop and get it inspected. They'll see if the shocks need to be changed. Same with the other suspension parts.
What's the price they're selling it for? If all looks well then go for it.

Quick Reply: Used Car Mechanical Inspection Advice Needed