RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Service intervals during Covid

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-20, 02:06 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Service intervals during Covid

Hi All. I have a 14 RX that I normally drive about 6k/yr-was lucky enough to work part time at home. Did my last 6 month service back in February as I was keeping to the 6 month cycle. I don't put the miles on but the ones I do are mostly around town so figured better safe than sorry. After my last service, was sent home to work until further notice which is still in effect. I have therefore only put about 700 miles on the RX (most of around town is done in the other vehicle). Of the 700 miles 1/2 was interstate, so not even driven hard. Would it just be a waste going in for service again with such low mileage? Sticking to the 6 month rule I'm already a bit overdue, not that I'm worried with what little use the RX has had. No big deal taking it in but just thinking it may not only be a waste of time & money but also resources. I'm thinking others may be in the same situation. Thoughts?
Old 10-14-20, 04:04 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

That would indeed be a waste of money and resources.
Old 10-15-20, 07:14 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

I maintain vehicles mainly by miles except perhaps brake fluid which supposedly can absorb moisture from the air. I do question why replacing brake fluid every 30,000 miles or 36 months is specified for the RX350 when no brake fluid replacement is specified for Toyota brand vehicles that have the exact same braking system.

There is no way that I would drop off a vehicle at a dealership during this pandemic. If one of our vehicles did require service or a repair, I would use the valet service offered by a nearby dealership under which they would pick up and deliver a vehicle to our driveway with zero contact with their employees. We're not driving much anyway - less than 250 miles per vehicle since March 13.

I lost an uncle to COVID-19 last Saturday. He went from robust health to dead only 10 days after first feeling ill with his final 6 days in an ICU on a respirator. His wife, son and daughter-in-law were also infected but at least the new grandbaby didn't get it.

Last edited by Kansas; 10-15-20 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-15-20, 08:13 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
Hi All. I have a 14 RX that I normally drive about 6k/yr-was lucky enough to work part time at home. Did my last 6 month service back in February as I was keeping to the 6 month cycle.
If you only drive 6k miles a year, than service every 6 months is overdoing it. I bet your dealer's service department loves you!

The engine oil and filter should be changed once a year, all the other services are not time pressing. You can safely push them until the end of the pandemic, there is no reason to risk getting sick.

Old 10-15-20, 02:07 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Non
If you only drive 6k miles a year, than service every 6 months is overdoing it. I bet your dealer's service department loves you!

The engine oil and filter should be changed once a year, all the other services are not time pressing. You can safely push them until the end of the pandemic, there is no reason to risk getting sick.
There's that saying, old habits die hard. I used to drive a lot more miles per year, but now that has dropped drastically, and what I did drive was usually 5 miles or less. I have an independent shop that's really good and much less than the dealer. I guess holding off a few more months until it's been a year won't hurt.
Old 10-15-20, 08:25 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
I maintain vehicles mainly by miles except perhaps brake fluid which supposedly can absorb moisture from the air. I do question why replacing brake fluid every 30,000 miles or 36 months is specified for the RX350 when no brake fluid replacement is specified for Toyota brand vehicles that have the exact same braking system.

There is no way that I would drop off a vehicle at a dealership during this pandemic. If one of our vehicles did require service or a repair, I would use the valet service offered by a nearby dealership under which they would pick up and deliver a vehicle to our driveway with zero contact with their employees. We're not driving much anyway - less than 250 miles per vehicle since March 13.

I lost an uncle to COVID-19 last Saturday. He went from robust health to dead only 10 days after first feeling ill with his final 6 days in an ICU on a respirator. His wife, son and daughter-in-law were also infected but at least the new grandbaby didn't get it.

Good advice and my condolences. I hope a reliable cure is found for all that are infected.

Salim
The following 2 users liked this post by salimshah:
BenRX (10-16-20), Kansas (10-16-20)