RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Low Engine Oil Pressure - 2010 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-20, 05:19 PM
ntucker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Engine Oil Pressure - 2010 RX350

Just purchased my first Lexus this July... a 2010 RX350 AWD. No problems until this afternoon when the “low engine oil pressure” warning light started flashing and the engine started to make a strange noise (sounded like I was revving it and it was struggling to accelerate). Pulled over and AAA towed it 70 miles to my local Lexus dealer. Won’t hear from the dealer until tomorrow—does anyone have an idea of what this could be? What should I expect to pay for this to be fixed?
Old 11-18-20, 07:04 PM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

Let them diagnose.

Red light and flashing red lights mean pull over and shut down the engine and then do the checks ... engine oil level/oil-leak.

If the engine was not shut down quickly, there may be damage due to low pressure. If it was shut down soon enough, quart of oil and repair of the source of the problem is all that needs to be done.

Salim
Old 11-18-20, 07:09 PM
ntucker
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! I noticed the message pop up on the dash a while before I pulled over, but it kept disappearing before I could read it. I also noticed that the entire rear of the car was covered in some sort of liquid... I’m now assuming it was oil. I pulled over once I read what the warning message said, which was right after the vehicle started to make a revving type noise.
Old 11-19-20, 05:01 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

I wonder if you have the tow package and your oil cooler rubber line burst causing all the oil to leak out very rapidly. This hose is known to fail and Lexus has a replacement metal line. They even provided an extended warranty on the line itself, but I am not sure if it includes engine replacement. They sent out notices and there probably is a TSB, technical service bulletin. I recall the warranty went to 150,000 miles but am unsure of the time limit. If you have issues with them, try contacting Lexus corporate. If you have had your service always done by a dealer they will be more inclined to help.

See this thread for more information https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ne-advice.html

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-19-20 at 05:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RX10 (11-19-20)
Old 11-19-20, 05:12 AM
ntucker
Driver School Candidate

I do have the “tow prep” package. The tow truck driver was able to move it off of the truck and into a parking spot under its own power, so I’m hoping the engine is still operable today. I read about that warranty online but, if I remember correctly, I’m past the point of coverage (10 years from original purchase date or 150,000 miles). I only have 107,xxx but I believe the original owner purchased in 2/2010.
Old 11-19-20, 07:34 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

Since you just bought this last Summer you should check the maintenance and repair history at the official Lexus Drivers Site via the link below to the Lexus Drivers Site. Its free. Join and enter your VIN, then you can access the maintenance and repair history, plus list of factory options etc

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/
Old 11-19-20, 07:57 AM
salimshah

I don't own the same model, but could this be the infamous rubber hose issue.

Salim
Old 11-19-20, 02:29 PM
ntucker
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. No major engine damage! It was an oil cooler line leak. Dealer said my “recall warranty” expired earlier this year. Unfortunately, somehow the water pump is now ruined and they recommended putting a new drive belt on it as well. All in about $1700 worth of work—UGH! First Lexus I have ever owned and purchased only 4 months ago.
Old 11-19-20, 09:51 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by ntucker
Thanks everyone. No major engine damage! It was an oil cooler line leak. Dealer said my “recall warranty” expired earlier this year. Unfortunately, somehow the water pump is now ruined and they recommended putting a new drive belt on it as well. All in about $1700 worth of work—UGH! First Lexus I have ever owned and purchased only 4 months ago.
I don't mean to nitpick, but did they explain "now". Is it due to the oil leak or they discovered a leak in the check up. You may have purchased a vehicle with the water pump issue.

By the way, both the oil cooler and water pump leak have been discussed here in Gen3 forum.

Salim
Old 11-20-20, 05:31 AM
ntucker
Driver School Candidate

I am starting to wonder if I was sold a car with issues. Nonetheless, I have contacted Lexus Corporate with my concerns.
Old 11-20-20, 05:46 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

You purchased a ten-year-old vehicle. There are always issues with any vehicle that old. What you hope for is that the issues will be relatively minor.

Which North Carolina Lexus dealership are you utilizing?
Old 11-20-20, 05:52 AM
ntucker
Driver School Candidate

That’s a good point. I didn’t expect it to be “problem free” but a $1700 repair bill is kind of excessive on a $14000 vehicle. I have been using Hendrick Lexus Charlotte. Great, friendly staff. Just a little bit aggravated at the repair bill.
Old 11-20-20, 06:28 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

I would search for a well-respected local Toyota-experienced independent repair shop going forward. Your checkbook will certainly appreciate it.
Old 11-20-20, 06:55 AM
ntucker
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip. I’ll look around for an independent shop today. At least I got a sweet NX300 loaner for a few days.
Old 11-20-20, 08:16 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by ntucker
That’s a good point. I didn’t expect it to be “problem free” but a $1700 repair bill is kind of excessive on a $14000 vehicle. I have been using Hendrick Lexus Charlotte. Great, friendly staff. Just a little bit aggravated at the repair bill.
Automotive repair business uses 'book hours' for a job. They will look up the make model yr of the vehicle and see the hours needed to do the job. The hours are rounded up to next half hour. Then they use they labor rate to come up with the repair cost. As RX in NC suggests, by going to another shop you may be charged at a lower labor rate.

In your case the gasket most likely is cheap but the time required to replace is high and the dealership is charging premium labor rates. In old days the serviceability was a major design factor, but these days there are other factors ... including higher reliability. But the manufacturer makes a mistake here there ... and are more focused on lifespan within warranty period. I have a 98 GS400 and the starter solenoid contacts wore out. The parts are less than $10, but to get to the starter, the whole intake has to be removed ... 8hrs of labor.

My understanding is that the engine has to be removed to service the coolant leak you are experiencing.

Salim

Quick Reply: Low Engine Oil Pressure - 2010 RX350