RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is this 2011 (125,000 miles) 14,500 CAD a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-20, 07:06 PM
LuizCA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this 2011 (125,000 miles) 14,500 CAD a good deal?

Hi all,

I found this 2011 RX350 with 125,000 miles (199,700 km) for $11,105 USD (14,500 CAD). Is this a good deal? The owner says it doesn't have any accidents, comes with summer and winter tires. It seems to be a base model as there is no nav and backup camera. I wanted to make an offer but I don't what a low ball would be for this car.
​​​​​Autotrader link

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-23-20 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-23-20, 04:13 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

First go to the Lexus Drivers Site, join then enter the VIN to see the vehicle service history at Lexus dealers. I think this will also work for Canada. https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

On a used car the most important thing is the maintenance and repair history. Ask the owner for the records. How old are the brakes? Has the transmission fluid ever been changed? Since it is AWD has the transfer case and rear differential fluid been changed. Shocks or Struts changed? If it has the tow package has the infamous rubber oil cooler line been replaced with the metal one per the recall in Canada?

With that many miles he should have already changed the spark plugs and coolant. Those 2 services will cost you almost $1000 CAD and they need to be done now if they have not been done yet. Ask if they have been changed and see the records.

Do you plan to have it inspected by a mechanic if this goes further? Then when the mechanic identifies stuff to repair you use that data to negotiate a lower price. The cost for an inspection is usually around $100 and any local gas station or repair shop can do it.

Have you also checked with other used car sites such as cars.com or eBay to see what similar cars have sold for or are listed for sale at? Checked prices on Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, etc.

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-23-20 at 04:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Clutchless:
LuizCA (11-23-20), RX10 (11-23-20)
Old 11-23-20, 07:29 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

I was going to say it seems kind of expensive to me for a vehicle with 200,000km, but just for fun I searched similar vehicles on Autotrader out of Calgary and I think I found the exact car you are looking at, and it seems to be fairly priced compared with the others. Still seems expensive so I compared more locally in Toronto area and was again a bit surprised how much these 10 year old RXs are going for with this many k's on the odometer. Makes me think I should sell mine now. My wife and I just talked this morning about possibly moving on and she asked what I though our RX was worth and I guessed maybe $6-8K. I guessed wrong it seems.

Anyway, I will defer to Clutchless' advice, see if all the maintenance work has been kept up and use it for leverage if not.
The following users liked this post:
LuizCA (11-23-20)
Old 11-23-20, 08:49 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

When you buy used the major advantage is that you are not being hit by depreciation, not on the base but also on all the extras. Since Lexus are sold as 'Luxury' they do come fully loaded and are thus more sought for in used market. I would steer you towards as much loaded as possible, with the down side that more can go wrong.

If it is equipped as what you want and you want to drive it to ground then move forward.

There are plenty of RXs manufactured so be patient.

Check out the seats for rips/tears and coverup. Be prepared to deal with worn items like lock actuators, starter solenoid, suspension bushings. Gaskets and seals can seep or leak.

Salim

LuizCA (11-23-20)
Old 11-23-20, 09:40 AM
LuizCA
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by Clutchless
First go to the Lexus Drivers Site, join then enter the VIN to see the vehicle service history at Lexus dealers. I think this will also work for Canada. https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

On a used car the most important thing is the maintenance and repair history. Ask the owner for the records. How old are the brakes? Has the transmission fluid ever been changed? Since it is AWD has the transfer case and rear differential fluid been changed. Shocks or Struts changed? If it has the tow package has the infamous rubber oil cooler line been replaced with the metal one per the recall in Canada?

With that many miles he should have already changed the spark plugs and coolant. Those 2 services will cost you almost $1000 CAD and they need to be done now if they have not been done yet. Ask if they have been changed and see the records.

Do you plan to have it inspected by a mechanic if this goes further? Then when the mechanic identifies stuff to repair you use that data to negotiate a lower price. The cost for an inspection is usually around $100 and any local gas station or repair shop can do it.

Have you also checked with other used car sites such as cars.com or eBay to see what similar cars have sold for or are listed for sale at? Checked prices on Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, etc.
Clutchless, I really like all the points you raised in this message. I tried the website you sent but it says "there are currently no history available for the selected vehicle", I wonder if it doesn't work in Canada or if all the maintenance was done at a private shop. I heard about the infamous rubber oil cooler line before, but I will be even more careful with that. I was doing some research this morning and I saw that the transmission fluid cannot be checked with a dipstick, so a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) from a private seller is basically mandatory. Quick question in that regard, should I negotiate the price and then take it to a PPI only when the price is close to what I want? Because the PPI can be great to use in my favour when negotiating, but I also don't want to get a PPI for every single vehicle I look at

Originally Posted by Droid13
I was going to say it seems kind of expensive to me for a vehicle with 200,000km, but just for fun I searched similar vehicles on Autotrader out of Calgary and I think I found the exact car you are looking at, and it seems to be fairly priced compared with the others. Still seems expensive so I compared more locally in Toronto area and was again a bit surprised how much these 10 year old RXs are going for with this many k's on the odometer. Makes me think I should sell mine now. My wife and I just talked this morning about possibly moving on and she asked what I though our RX was worth and I guessed maybe $6-8K. I guessed wrong it seems.

Anyway, I will defer to Clutchless' advice, see if all the maintenance work has been kept up and use it for leverage if not.
Yeah, I agree with you. Have you checked the CR-V and Rav4? You can find them from the same year as the Lexus (2010/2011) around the same mileage for exactly the same price. It seems that Honda/Toyota SUVs hold their price really well in snowy areas. The alternative would be a 2007 RX350 with 180k KM (110k miles) for 9,800 CAD. It has less technology, the paint and frame have been exposed to much more salt and snow, but it has better mileage for 5k less.

Originally Posted by salimshah
When you buy used the major advantage is that you are not being hit by depreciation, not on the base but also on all the extras. Since Lexus are sold as 'Luxury' they do come fully loaded and are thus more sought for in used market. I would steer you towards as much loaded as possible, with the down side that more can go wrong.

If it is equipped as what you want and you want to drive it to ground then move forward.

There are plenty of RXs manufactured so be patient.

Check out the seats for rips/tears and coverup. Be prepared to deal with worn items like lock actuators, starter solenoid, suspension bushings. Gaskets and seals can seep or leak.

Salim
These items that you mentioned can be DIY or should I preferably take the car to a shop to fix them? I am also looking at another one from 2010, from a dealership, with basically the same price and mileage (200k KM), but it seems to have more features. I wonder if the end of the month/year could get me a good deal with them and maybe a car that is more secure since their mechanics must have checked the most problematic parts.
Old 11-23-20, 01:19 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by LuizCA
Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it!
I tried the website you sent but it says "there are currently no history available for the selected vehicle", I wonder if it doesn't work in Canada or if all the maintenance was done at a private shop.
Try the Request Carfax option on the AutoTrader website, if there's any vehicle history logged in Canada, it should show up.

Yeah, I agree with you. Have you checked the CR-V and Rav4?
I was pondering a Tesla Model Y, I like the idea of it, but having been a pilot two or three lifetimes ago I still appreciate a nice "cockpit" and the model Y and 3 certainly don't do cockpit. More lately I've been thinking about the RAV4 Prime, sounds cool, but hard to get right now. My 91 year old father has a 2019 Subaru on lease (he - and I guess everyone in the family - wanted all the lane keeping and auto stop features it had). But even with all the cool safety stuff he's getting too old to drive and I've been pondering just taking over his lease. Not my personal favourite, but he's barely driven it and other than a small fender rub he did not quite getting into the garage properly one time, its immaculate.

LuizCA (11-23-20)
Old 11-23-20, 03:13 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Quick question in that regard, should I negotiate the price and then take it to a PPI only when the price is close to what I want? Because the PPI can be great to use in my favour when negotiating, but I also don't want to get a PPI for every single vehicle I look at

You can do both by inspecting it some yourself and seeing the overall condition of the car and if they have any maintenance records you can inspect. Then check the tires, overall cleanliness etc and ask about taking for an inspection if you are still interested. Contact a couple of close by shops that you can take it to, or the owner can take it to while you accompany them.
The transmssion can only be tested by driving to see if it shifts okay. If the owner says the fluid has never been changed, then you should get it done if you buy it, or you can just ignore it like many other folks and hope for the best.

As pointed out by others, there are many used RXs out there and also RAV4s. I do like the 2014 and newer RAV4s, especially the Limited models. They have a much more sophisticated and useful infotainment system than the RX and are just as large inside.
LuizCA (11-23-20)
Old 11-23-20, 04:47 PM
LuizCA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Quick question in that regard, should I negotiate the price and then take it to a PPI only when the price is close to what I want? Because the PPI can be great to use in my favour when negotiating, but I also don't want to get a PPI for every single vehicle I look at

You can do both by inspecting it some yourself and seeing the overall condition of the car and if they have any maintenance records you can inspect. Then check the tires, overall cleanliness etc and ask about taking for an inspection if you are still interested. Contact a couple of close by shops that you can take it to, or the owner can take it to while you accompany them.
The transmssion can only be tested by driving to see if it shifts okay. If the owner says the fluid has never been changed, then you should get it done if you buy it, or you can just ignore it like many other folks and hope for the best.

As pointed out by others, there are many used RXs out there and also RAV4s. I do like the 2014 and newer RAV4s, especially the Limited models. They have a much more sophisticated and useful infotainment system than the RX and are just as large inside.
Thanks, Clutchless, I really appreciate your help. I'm already 27 years old but this is my first time buying a car, so every tip is welcome. I am doing my homework, but I know I still have lots to learn.

Anyway, I spent the day exploring this forum and I saw that you are quite active and have lots of experience with this car, so I have another question for you. From your experience, does the maintenance cost much higher when compared to a Rav4? If I make a good choice, these vehicles are supposed to be quite reliable, correct? I am buying this car for my wife so she can go to work with it, and I would hate to see her getting stuck in the middle of a snowstorm. In the country where I come we avoid buying cars above 100k km, so I would be paying quite a lot of money for a 200k km vehicle and it makes me quite insecure.

I am keeping an eye open for a Rav4, but I just made an Autotrader search and the cheapest 2014 model is 19k CAD (126k km) which is quite above my budget. To be within my budget it has to be <2012, and I feel that, at this age, I have a better chance of getting a well-conserved RX350 than a Rav4.
Old 11-23-20, 08:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Keep in mind, Alberta does not have sales tax on used private sale. On higher mileage cars in Alberta, we don't have rust issues and that is another factor so they tend to last longer.

Also, I just recently was shopping for an RX350 or RX450h. Test drove 4 of them. People tend to put prices much higher than they expect to get. I just went through the negotiation process on the RX450h I ended up purchasing and within 2 minutes, I had the seller willing counter me at $1600 less than his asking price. I started at $1900 less than his asking. I simply accepted his counter and it was a done deal.

Originally Posted by Droid13

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-23-20 at 08:11 PM.
LuizCA (11-23-20)
Old 11-23-20, 08:30 PM
LuizCA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Keep in mind, Alberta does not have sales tax on used private sale. On higher mileage cars in Alberta, we don't have rust issues and that is another factor so they tend to last longer.

Also, I just recently was shopping for an RX350 or RX450h. Test drove 4 of them. People tend to put prices much higher than they expect to get. I just went through the negotiation process on the RX450h I ended up purchasing and within 2 minutes, I had the seller willing counter me at $1600 less than his asking price. I started at $1900 less than his asking. I simply accepted his counter and it was a done deal.
Awesome! It is great to hear from someone located in Calgary as well. What was the overall experience when shopping for the RX, were they well maintained and with the service history available? Did you buy from a dealer or private? Do you recommend a specific shop for a PPI? Final question, if I see a car advertised for 14,500 but I expected to pay 12,500 would that be a low ball offer?

Thank you in advance!!
Old 11-23-20, 09:10 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome! It is great to hear from someone located in Calgary as well. What was the overall experience when shopping for the RX, were they well maintained and with the service history available? Did you buy from a dealer or private? Do you recommend a specific shop for a PPI? Final question, if I see a car advertised for 14,500 but I expected to pay 12,500 would that be a low ball offer?

Thank you in advance!!
Thanks. I checked out 4 in total. I am very happy with how it turned out. The timing also worked perfectly.

I wanted to purrchase the new RX shortly after I sold my RX400h so it worked out quite well. Every evening after work, I would plan to go test drive at least 1 or 2. I ended up testing 4 in a space of 3 days. 3 of them were RX350 and 1 one of them was RX450h, which I own now. I purchased it privately. I basically would first ask them questions over the phone. All of the owners seemed forthcoming about the history of their cars. One of the RX350 was at Lexus of Royal Oak so I went to the dealership to test drive it. It was a 2011 and was very well kept. The dealership will tend to mark the price up a bit more because they do their inspections etc. Also, you have to pay tax if you buy it from a dealership as you are buying from a business. You can end up saving 5% in taxes if you buy it private. In private sale, you could end up with a great car for less, if you are willing to put the work in. When I went to test drive the car, I asked him for the service records and he had all of the record from Lexus dealership. I also got the feel from him if we was willing to negotiate and he sounded like he would budge on his asking. I told him, if I decide to make an offer, could he show me the carfax? He agreed to that.

The car test drove exceptionally well and I loved the RX450h especially the 2013+ that has all of the updates like LED lights, sport mode (stiffens the steering etc.). The Lexus of Royal Oak 2011 RX350 also drove very well and I was very impressed by that car as well. I checked out two other RX350, but both of them had accident history. Both of them were red. So it came down to the 2011 RX350 and the 2014 RX450h. Both cars had similar mileage. The RX350 was lady driven so it was very well taken care of. So was this RX450h. I chose to go with the RX450h and made the offer. Everything went smoothly as far as purchasing process goes. Just got the insurance done 2 hours before we were supposed to meet up (need a bill of sale for it with VIN from seller), then we met up and I went to the registry office with all of the paper work and got the registration transferred over to my RX450h. I had the license plate already from my RX400h so I bolted it on in front of the registry office while the seller took off his. Otherwise, you can purchase a license plate at the registry office.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Do you recommend a specific shop for a PPI? Final question, if I see a car advertised for 14,500 but I expected to pay 12,500 would that be a low ball offer?
You can get inspection done at a Kaltire especially if you have a trusted shop. There is a shop close to my office that is a trusted location I have taken my RX400h and Corolla XRS for many years. I also purchased my RCF Pilot Sport 4S tires from them so they did a good job checking the basics of the car. I also checked the service records from Lexus of Royal Oak. Also, Carfax came back clean. Regarding the offer, I think $12,500 is not low ball. I also started at around $1900 less than his asking. He came back with $1600 less than his asking and I accepted his counter. Just make sure you are willing to come up a bit if he counters you. He might counter you again and then you can make another offer about $150 more than what you offered previously. Basically, in the end you might be able to get $1500 - $1600 off the asking price. Let me know if you have more questions.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-23-20 at 09:21 PM.
LuizCA (11-24-20)
Old 11-24-20, 07:50 AM
LuizCA
Driver School Candidate

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you SO much for such a detailed explanation, I really appreciate it! You have no idea how useful this is for me!

Congratulations on your purchase, I hope it keeps you happy and safe for a long time

I do have a few questions left. In general, can I trust the dealer inspection or should I take somewhere less biased? I visited three dealerships already, and Village Honda didn't allow me to take the car to a PPI, which for me was a bit of a red flag. Do you have any experience with Nissan Royal Oak? They have a 2010 RX350 that I am interested in. The carfax says it has two collisions on the rear corner. One was 1,200 and the other 1,600 CAD to fix, so I assume they were minor as the cost is not that high for a Lexus, correct? I attached the carfax.
Since you owned a 2008 RX in Calgary for a while, do you have an estimate for the yearly cost with maintenance? I know it can vary quite a lot, I'm just trying to estimate how much more it costs to keep an RX350 rather than a Rav4.

Thanks!
05RollaXRS (11-24-20)
Old 11-24-20, 09:06 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

You are welcome. Glad you found it helpful. If it is a reputable dealership, I would say you can trust their inspection. I don't personally have experience with Royal Oak Nissan, but I have a colleague in the office who has taken his Pathfinder there and looks like he is fine with them. The collisions seem minor and probably would not have any impact on the ownership experience so if you can get a good deal, exterior, interior and test drive all go well, you can see how you like it and find it worth purchasing. Make sure you check the type of tires it has, how much tread they have left and also how much brake pads are left. Usually they should be at least 60% each.

Regarding the maintenance, I just got the RX450h a few weeks ago and the maintenance is up to date for another 8000 KM. I will take it to Lexus of Royal Oak probably in late winter or early spring when I get to that mileage. My RX400h was fairly cheap to maintain. I did basic maintenance and oil change etc. at the dealership. The hybrid system did not require any maintenance work during my 1.5 years of ownership and worked flawlessly without missing a beat. I just did one oil change and maintenance/service, which was about $200 in total. We will see how the RX450h does. Let me know if there are any other questions.

Thank you SO much for such a detailed explanation, I really appreciate it! You have no idea how useful this is for me!

Congratulations on your purchase, I hope it keeps you happy and safe for a long time

I do have a few questions left. In general, can I trust the dealer inspection or should I take somewhere less biased? I visited three dealerships already, and Village Honda didn't allow me to take the car to a PPI, which for me was a bit of a red flag. Do you have any experience with Nissan Royal Oak? They have a 2010 RX350 that I am interested in. The carfax says it has two collisions on the rear corner. One was 1,200 and the other 1,600 CAD to fix, so I assume they were minor as the cost is not that high for a Lexus, correct? I attached the carfax.
Since you owned a 2008 RX in Calgary for a while, do you have an estimate for the yearly cost with maintenance? I know it can vary quite a lot, I'm just trying to estimate how much more it costs to keep an RX350 rather than a Rav4.

Thanks!

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-24-20 at 09:28 AM.
LuizCA (11-26-20)
Old 11-25-20, 06:26 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi all,

I found this 2011 RX350 with 125,000 miles (199,700 km) for $11,105 USD (14,500 CAD). Is this a good deal? The owner says it doesn't have any accidents, comes with summer and winter tires. It seems to be a base model as there is no nav and backup camera. I wanted to make an offer but I don't what a low ball would be for this car.
​​​​​Autotrader link
We live in Calgary and the price seems to be about right. I would, however, inspect the car at a Toyota dealership for any unseen issues. The backup camera is not a deal breaker unless you really need it. It's currently on sale @ Costco for less than $200.
LuizCA (11-26-20)
Old 11-26-20, 09:45 AM
LuizCA
Driver School Candidate

Regarding the maintenance, I just got the RX450h a few weeks ago and the maintenance is up to date for another 8000 KM. I will take it to Lexus of Royal Oak probably in late winter or early spring when I get to that mileage. My RX400h was fairly cheap to maintain. I did basic maintenance and oil change etc. at the dealership.
Thank you very much! You have been REALLY helpful. It is good to know that maintenance was not too expensive. From what I can read in this forum it is nothing out of the ordinary, I couple of more expensive fixes here and there, but I think it is normal. I am also keeping the 2nd gen as an option due to the price, but I honestly would prefer something newer and that can last for a long time. I heard people saying that the 2nd gen is more comfortable, but my previous car was super basic, so I pretty sure I won't be able to tell any difference in generations.

Originally Posted by heshamos
We live in Calgary and the price seems to be about right. I would, however, inspect the car at a Toyota dealership for any unseen issues. The backup camera is not a deal breaker unless you really need it. It's currently on sale @ Costco for less than $200.
Yeah, but I will try to get it down a little since 14,500 is a bit above my budget. I don't mind the backup camera, but I wish it had the Nav system since it seems there is no aftermarket option for adding one. Not that I will use it all the time, but I think it gives a tech look to the car and it is good to have it there. Also, I am in contact with Don, from 41st Auto. He seems to be a great guy and his shop has a quite good reputation. I am probably going to take it there for a PPI.

I have a question for both of you, about the process of buying a used car from a private seller. If I decide to buy the car, do I have to pay the entire amount at the moment the seller fills out the Bill of Sale? Do people do it with cash or does Interac works here as well? In my case, I will be looking at cars on Saturday, so I won't be able to take it on the same day to a PPI or get insurance. I believe the seller would want some money to guarantee the sale. What could I get in exchange? Or should he/she trust my word?

Quick Reply: Is this 2011 (125,000 miles) 14,500 CAD a good deal?